Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[April 15, 2024, 03:15:33 am]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Altair
[April 09, 2024, 09:29:08 am]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Jenett
[April 08, 2024, 09:09:39 pm]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Sefiru
[April 08, 2024, 06:09:38 pm]

Author Topic: Hello and well met  (Read 681 times)

Edward

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
Hello and well met
« on: February 03, 2016, 02:15:34 pm »
Hi,

I've been an Asatruar for almost five years now, and have been longing to interact with the greater heathen community. Asatruar tend to be a pretty fractious bunch and not to paint us all with the same brush, but there does seem to be a lot of groups with what I believe to be overly exclusionary practices and agendas. I believe that all modern pagans and heathens should be supportive toward one another rather than emphasizing what sets us apart.

Although I came to Asatru through what could be thought of as the "folkish path" (i.e. boy can't stand Abrahamic religion, boy one day finds himself smirking at a depiction of Norse pagans and suddenly realizes he is smirking at his own ancestors and their gods, boy realizes that the last several generations of his ancestors were operating under deceitful psychological programming and realizes that his rightful spiritual home is with the Old Gods) I consider myself more of a universalist because race is at its core a pretty flimsy construct, especially in our modern globalized reality. Not only that, my experience with the Gods has told me that they are unconcerned with such superficial trappings.

Anyway, just wanted to introduce myself! Seems like a nice place.

Sarah

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: Hello and well met
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2016, 03:33:49 pm »
Quote from: Edward;186092
Hi,

I've been an Asatruar for almost five years now, and have been longing to interact with the greater heathen community. Asatruar tend to be a pretty fractious bunch and not to paint us all with the same brush, but there does seem to be a lot of groups with what I believe to be overly exclusionary practices and agendas. I believe that all modern pagans and heathens should be supportive toward one another rather than emphasizing what sets us apart.

Although I came to Asatru through what could be thought of as the "folkish path" (i.e. boy can't stand Abrahamic religion, boy one day finds himself smirking at a depiction of Norse pagans and suddenly realizes he is smirking at his own ancestors and their gods, boy realizes that the last several generations of his ancestors were operating under deceitful psychological programming and realizes that his rightful spiritual home is with the Old Gods) I consider myself more of a universalist because race is at its core a pretty flimsy construct, especially in our modern globalized reality. Not only that, my experience with the Gods has told me that they are unconcerned with such superficial trappings.

Accusing generations of your ancestors as "operating under deceitful psychological programming" seems pretty rude to be honest
Knowing when to use a shovel is what being a witch is all about. Nanny Ogg, Witches Abroad

Edward

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2016, 03:44:27 pm »
Quote from: Jake_;186095
Accusing generations of your ancestors as "operating under deceitful psychological programming" seems pretty rude to be honest

Rude to whom? Those who forced them to discard their native ancestral ways by fire and sword, or to those generations that came after and were simply indoctrinated into the foreign dogmatic belief system?

If you mean the former, I believe you are confusing the pointing out of factual historical occurrences with some sort of emotional bias. If you mean the latter, I disagree. A child who is raised into a belief system and becomes an adult in a society that continually forces that belief system on him or her really doesn't bear any blame as far as I'm concerned. My intention was not to say that they are deceitful people, only that they are deceived by indoctrination by a faith that undeniably has always demonized and sought to demolish all native religions of all human beings it comes into contact with.

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2016, 08:41:48 pm »
Quote from: Edward;186096
... a faith that undeniably has always demonized and sought to demolish all native religions of all human beings it comes into contact with.

*** MOD HAT ON ***
Edward,

Do not make blanket condemnations of religions. This is a violation of TC's rules.

Sunflower
TC Forum Staff
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Edward

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2016, 07:54:42 am »
Quote from: SunflowerP;186109
*** MOD HAT ON ***
Edward,

Do not make blanket condemnations of religions. This is a violation of TC's rules.

Sunflower
TC Forum Staff

I'll have to be extra mindful of that. It can be difficult to discuss coming to one's native religion without any historical context, but I will certainly try to work around it.

Voren

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: spiritual
  • Preferred Pronouns: Xe/Xir/Xes
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2016, 08:51:14 pm »
Quote from: Edward;186092
Hi,

Hello an welcome
-Voren
(aka Sou\'r-Ghi\'den)

The Singularity

Tags: