Re: "Christ Is King" by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 10:30:17 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 08:31:19 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 07:54:40 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sefiru
[Yesterday at 07:44:49 pm]

Author Topic: Happy Imbolc!  (Read 1704 times)

Caffeinated Autumn

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Happy Imbolc!
« on: February 02, 2016, 12:58:36 am »
Hey guys! Merry Imbolc to all who celebrate it!

RecycledBenedict

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: Happy Imbolc!
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2016, 04:51:52 am »
Quote from: Caffeinated Autumn;186048

And the same to you! I began celebration two days ago, and will continue for two weeks.

dragonflydreamer68

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
  • Religion: druidism
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2016, 12:55:46 pm »
Quote from: FraterBenedict;186050
And the same to you! I began celebration two days ago, and will continue for two weeks.

blessed imbolc

Vincent

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2016, 06:36:51 pm »

Happy Imbolc everyone, I will be celebrating for the next couple of days.

The Snowdrops and Crocus are in full flower. The daffodils are already beginning to flower also, which seems earlier then normal, or is that just me?

RecycledBenedict

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2016, 06:32:36 am »
Quote from: Vincent;186066
Happy Imbolc everyone, I will be celebrating for the next couple of days.

The Snowdrops and Crocus are in full flower. The daffodils are already beginning to flower also, which seems earlier then normal, or is that just me?

No flowers here. The earth is asleep. This year, we have a few weeks of mild breathing-space between two very cold parts of winter. It is wobbling around zero now, in the plus 4 to minus 3 Centigrade range, snow the day before yesterday, and more snow expected in Friday, Monday and Tuesday. Two weeks ago it was minus 24 Centigrades, and we expect something in the minus 10 to minus 20 Centigrade range to return in the middle of February. The festival to hail spring here is Beltene, which is associated with St. Walburga of Heidenheim among the general population here (but some years we have some snow at Beltene, less so in the past ten years). So called 'Spring Equinox' falls in the winter half of the year, just as so called 'Autumnal Equinox' falls in the summer half of the year.

These weather conditions are reflected in the old Norse calendars, one of which is still in use in Iceland. The Icelanders didn't bother with spring and autumn, but divided the year in the winter half and the summer half. In the Julian calendar, the summer half began in mid-April, but the Gregorian equivalent falls just a few days before May Day.

Louisvillian

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Syncretic religio romana/Hellenised Romano-British religion
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2016, 06:45:40 am »

While I am mostly Roman and Hellenistic reconstructionist, I do venerate the gods of my Celtic ancestors and celebrate some of their more popular festivals. Imbolc is one of them and for it I set a fire in my hearth and offered incense to the gods, most especially to Brighid. I prayed at a shrine to my ancestors. And I made a libation of milk to Brighid outdoors.
While it's not usually spring-like around this time of year in my neck of the woods, it's been a strangely warm January. It's been hovering between 55 and 66 degrees most of the month, minus a week of heavy snowfall and 17-degree temps. So, hey, maybe it is the beginning of spring for me.

Moonstone

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2016, 02:19:18 pm »

Happy Imbolc to you too :)

Vincent

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2016, 04:04:35 pm »
Quote from: FraterBenedict;186078
No flowers here. The earth is asleep. This year, we have a few weeks of mild breathing-space between two very cold parts of winter. It is wobbling around zero now, in the plus 4 to minus 3 Centigrade range, snow the day before yesterday, and more snow expected in Friday, Monday and Tuesday. Two weeks ago it was minus 24 Centigrades, and we expect something in the minus 10 to minus 20 Centigrade range to return in the middle of February. The festival to hail spring here is Beltene, which is associated with St. Walburga of Heidenheim among the general population here (but some years we have some snow at Beltene, less so in the past ten years). So called 'Spring Equinox' falls in the winter half of the year, just as so called 'Autumnal Equinox' falls in the summer half of the year.

These weather conditions are reflected in the old Norse calendars, one of which is still in use in Iceland. The Icelanders didn't bother with spring and autumn, but divided the year in the winter half and the summer half. In the Julian calendar, the summer half began in mid-April, but the Gregorian equivalent falls just a few days before May Day.

A very different climate then, I know America is suffering with a lot of snow in parts at the moment, so it does vary depending on where in the world you are. I feel like Spring is steadily making pace here in the UK, fortunately as I am in need of some sun.

I had no idea the times of the year and the associations or equivalent weather conditions were so far apart though in Sweden Vs UK.

Tags: