Re: "Christ Is King" by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 10:30:17 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 08:31:19 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 07:54:40 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sefiru
[Yesterday at 07:44:49 pm]

Author Topic: Setback, bad sign - I'm not sure what to title this  (Read 1171 times)

PerditaPickle

• Staff
  • It's all metta - at least, I believe it should be
    • View Profile
    • Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity
  • Religion: Druid-ish
  • Preferred Pronouns: She/her/hers
Setback, bad sign - I'm not sure what to title this
« on: January 31, 2016, 06:23:17 pm »
My eclectic Pagan friend and I got together this afternoon to do some tending to our houseplants ahead of Imbolc.  When I got home I spilled the cat grass I had planted-up during the afternoon all over my carpet, compost and all.  I burst into tears for fully five minutes, and initially was having a really hard time not seeing it as an incredibly bad sign.

I'm not in a very good way emotionally or physically at the moment, so I'm now trying to put my overreaction down to tiredness & oversensitivity.  But why did this accident happen?  As mentioned, I'm very tired at the moment and (apologies in advance to any males who read this...) I tend to go through a clumsy phase immediately prior to my menstrual period, which is due in approximately 10 days.  Can I safely reassure myself that that's all it was?

I'd been so pleased with some of the Pagan stuff I've been working on lately, and now this.
“Radiate boundless love towards the entire world — above, below, and across — unhindered, without ill will, without enmity.” – The Buddha
(From the Metta Sutta)

My Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity blog

Guided by Stars

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
Re: Setback, bad sign - I'm not sure what to title this
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2016, 09:42:11 pm »
Quote from: Pickle;186020
My eclectic Pagan friend and I got together this afternoon to do some tending to our houseplants ahead of Imbolc.  When I got home I spilled the cat grass I had planted-up during the afternoon all over my carpet, compost and all.  I burst into tears for fully five minutes, and initially was having a really hard time not seeing it as an incredibly bad sign.

I'm not in a very good way emotionally or physically at the moment, so I'm now trying to put my overreaction down to tiredness & oversensitivity.  But why did this accident happen?  As mentioned, I'm very tired at the moment and (apologies in advance to any males who read this...) I tend to go through a clumsy phase immediately prior to my menstrual period, which is due in approximately 10 days.  Can I safely reassure myself that that's all it was?

I'd been so pleased with some of the Pagan stuff I've been working on lately, and now this.

Meh, things happen. If I took it as a bad sign every time I dropped/spilled something, I'd never get anything accomplished. Chalk it up to being tired and get some rest. Everything will be fine... :)
"Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?!?"

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2016, 10:09:22 pm »
I'm not in a very good way emotionally or physically at the moment, so I'm now trying to put my overreaction down to tiredness & oversensitivity.  But why did this accident happen?

Accidents happen for lots of reasons, but a common one is that we're physical beings, and sometimes the physical body drops stuff.

I have medical stuff that makes me clumsy at times too, and it often particularly upsets me to spill something like you describe, even when it's not a ritual thing.

When I'm already tired and overwhelmed, it really feels like adding insult to injury to not only lose the time and energy I spent on the thing that I've now dropped (and now either need to do without, or figure out how to get/make/do again) but I also have to spend energy I really don't have on cleaning the mess up.

Of course that feels horrible! (And why do we never drop the things that would be easy to clean up? For me, it's always the messy thing.)

I solve the problem two ways. One is that I take some steps to make spills less likely, or the damage from them less of a problem. (I don't routinely use glass, or anything that might be slippery, for example. Mugs generally have handles. Ceramic is a lot easier to clean up than glass.) If I have something special I'm carrying, I put it in something I'm less likely to drop (inside a shoulder bag, or padded, or something with better handles.)

The other one is that when it's a ritual thing, I don't assume it is a bad thing ritually without some other data. One point is not a line.

For any kind of 'this is a bad omen', I think that a routine thing that happens all the time is not a particularly useful omen without something else telling me it's a bad idea. If I already know I often drop things in certain circumstances, and I drop a thing in that general circumstance... that's not unusual.

For me to think it was a bad omen, or a sign I shouldn't do that, I'd want something else. Maybe that's divination about the ritual I'm planning. Maybe that's sitting down and thinking through what I have planned and paying close attention to whether I feel uncomfortable with part of my plans. Maybe it's talking it through with a friend. Maybe it's meditation. Maybe it's something else that is unusual going on.

But just one thing that's a thing I often do anyway? That's not a sign. That's just living.

(As a side note: I do find using tracking apps - for symptoms and for things like 'dropped stuff today' very handy. It means I can go back and look for more reliable patterns than just what I remembered later.)
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

Gnowan

• Sr. Apprentice
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2016, 01:19:22 am »

As the others have said, accidents happen.  Not everything is a sign.  Or maybe it WAS a sign to remind you of what a wise man once said:  "Life is what happens while you're making plans."

Relax.  Get some rest.  And I'm sure the gods are laughing with you, not at you. :)

~Gnowan

PerditaPickle

• Staff
  • It's all metta - at least, I believe it should be
    • View Profile
    • Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity
  • Religion: Druid-ish
  • Preferred Pronouns: She/her/hers
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2016, 05:29:09 pm »
Quote from: Guided by Stars;186022
Meh, things happen.

Quote from: Jenett;186023
That's not a sign. That's just living.

Quote from: Gnowan;186026
Not everything is a sign.

Thank you all very much indeed for taking time out to post your replies, and for reassuring me  :)
“Radiate boundless love towards the entire world — above, below, and across — unhindered, without ill will, without enmity.” – The Buddha
(From the Metta Sutta)

My Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity blog

Tags: