Re: "Christ Is King" by SirPalomides
[Today at 07:13:48 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sophia C
[Today at 07:04:14 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sophia C
[Today at 06:56:16 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Yei
[Today at 06:56:00 pm]

Author Topic: Working With Sobek?  (Read 5105 times)

Ulfsdottir

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
Working With Sobek?
« on: January 31, 2016, 12:00:12 am »
Em Hotep everyone! I was just wondering if anyone here has any experience with Sobek. I'd really like to work with Him and involve Him in my daily worship and practice, but I have never tried to approach Him. I feel as if once or twice, He came to ME, but I have no idea how to go about reaching out to Him in return.

Can anyone who works with Him help me? What do you do for Him, what offerings does He seem to like? How did you begin working with Him and getting Him to notice you?

Thanks in advance, really looking forward to knowing more about Him. :)

Dua Netjeru!
Give Praise to the day at evening, To a woman on her pyre, To a weapon which is tried, To a maid at wed lock, To ice when \'tis crossed, To ale that is drunk. - Hávamál 81

Also known by my Kemetic Orthodoxy name Gezemyinepu (Gez)- "Anointed by Anubis"

Divined a daughter of Anpu and Wepwawet; Beloved of Sekhmet and Hethert.

Emerald

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Re: Working With Sobek?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2016, 07:49:18 pm »
Quote from: Ulfsdottir;186003
Em Hotep everyone! I was just wondering if anyone here has any experience with Sobek.

Just dropping in here to mention that a member of this forum, Sobekemiti, has a website with a lot of information you'd likely find helpful.

http://persebek.wordpress.com/

Hopefully xe will be along soon!

Sobekemiti

• View Profile
    • Per Sebek - The House of Sobek
  • Religion: Kemetic Orthodox, Witch, Scribe, Hem-Netjer, Sau Apprentice
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2016, 06:41:11 am »
Em Hotep everyone! I was just wondering if anyone here has any experience with Sobek. I'd really like to work with Him and involve Him in my daily worship and practice, but I have never tried to approach Him. I feel as if once or twice, He came to ME, but I have no idea how to go about reaching out to Him in return.

Can anyone who works with Him help me? What do you do for Him, what offerings does He seem to like? How did you begin working with Him and getting Him to notice you?

Dua Netjeru!

Em Hotep,

I'm Sobekemiti, resident Sobek devotee, at your service. :)

I do a lot of things for Sobek, but I am His priest and scribe, and this isn't necessarily the level of devotion you might be interested in. But I hope I can at least help you begin to develop a relationship with Him. He's very patient and laid-back, so I wouldn't worry about doing things wrong with Him.

Firstly, yes, check persebek.wordpress.com for all the information I'm not going to infodump here. There are hymns, rituals, prayers, and myths there, and all my varied musings and writings on my path and practice. It's not all about Sobek, but there ought to be enough there to get you started. Even though this is probably going to be a bit of a long post as it is. Sorry. I am not good at concise. D:

As for me, I first met Him about 12 years ago, and never expected that relationship would become what it has now. I've always loved crocodiles, and there was an incident at my local zoo, and the 5 metre saltwater crocodile, and it was looking back on that months later that Sobek turned up and said hi. It kind of went from there. I used to be Kemetic Orthodox as well, but that's a topic for another thread. Sobek led me in a different direction, and here I am now. :)

So once Sobek noticed me, then I began the long process of not only learning how to Pagan, but also how to worship Him. I was only a few years into my Pagan path back then, so I know I made a lot of mistakes and fumbled and occasionally messed things up. But I stuck with it because, well. It's Sobek. He was the reason I originally set up Per Sebek, back in 2004, on a hand-coded Angelfire website. I wanted to share my devotion with whatever other Sobek devotees who might've been out there. So I put up all my research on Him, and my prayers, and my experiences, and it sort of grew from there, into what it is now.

I have built many different types of shrines for Him over the years. He likes shiny things, crocodiles, the colours blue, green, silver, and gold, as well as frankincense and myrrh, which are pretty standard offerings for many Netjeru. The current incense I burn for Him is actually daphne, it's a Japanese incense that has a soft sweet floral scent. I use it because of low smoke, and I get migraines with the wrong incense.

When it comes to offerings, my best advise is, offer Him the things you like. He's not really finnicky when it comes to offerings. I tend to give Him rum (because I only drink spirits - wine gives me migraines, and I don't like beer), but I also suspect He might like ginger beer. Chicken and fish are good, too. But yeah, if you like it, He probably will, too. He doesn't have a lot of modern worshippers, so I suspect He's just happy to get anything, particularly if it makes you happy as well.

He also likes carnelian, lapis lazuli, green shiny things, I have a few crocodile teeth for Him, as well as loads of jewellery. But like I said, I'm His priest, so you don't have to go as deep as I do with it. If all you do is go to shrine every day, and offer Him water, I'm sure He'd be happy enough with that.

As for my daily rituals, it's a simple rite I do for Him in the evening that pairs with the morning rite I do for Heru in the morning. All I offer is cool water, if it's too hot to light candles and incense. It's built around the fact that, over the years, I've learnt that the best way for me to maintain daily rituals is to make sure they are easily memorisable, short, and can be done when half-asleep in my pyjamas. But if you're more of a ritualist, feel free to make it longer. Any worship is better than none.

This is the evening rite I do: https://persebek.wordpress.com/practices/rites/daily-rite-evening-sobek/

It is a bit built around my own Sobek/Heru-sa-Aset UPG, but feel free to take it and customise it, if you like the structure. It's a paired-down version of my shortform generic Kemetic solitary rites, so it still has that feel of a temple ritual, but can be done in 5 minutes with nothing more than a glass of water, if you are travelling and can't burn candles or incense.

(Also, contrary to what I wrote at the beginning of that rite, I totally do light incense at night. The Japanese incense is soft enough to not be a pain. Best incense switch I ever made.)

I think I'll leave this here, since I think I've covered the basics. If there's anything else you want to know, ask me all the questions! I will attempt to answer them all. :D

Dua Sobek! Nekhtet!
Sobekemiti | Hekatean Witch, Kemetic Orthodox Shemsu, Sobek Devotee | My pronouns are they/she

Lana288

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2016, 11:14:26 pm »
Quote from: Sobekemiti;186052
Em Hotep,

I do a lot of things for Sobek, but I am His priest and scribe, and this isn't necessarily the level of devotion you might be interested in. But I hope I can at least help you begin to develop a relationship with Him. He's very patient and laid-back, so I wouldn't worry about doing things wrong with Him.

This is a super awesome post, and I really enjoyed reading it. :) Your worship structure is really inspiring.

Dua Netjeru!

If it helps, Sobek seems very, very, very patient. I don't do a whole lot of active worship with him (though the plan is to start regular sessions with him in the next week or two), but he kind of "hangs around" anyway. ...Which I appreciate, honestly.

He also seems very protective, with a strong current* of "I'll help you get through what you have to do". Unsurprisingly, I also associate him with running water.

*Current? Like a river? Cause he's a god of the Nile? I crack myself up.

Dua Sobek! :D

Sobekemiti

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2016, 12:46:12 am »
Quote from: Ian288;186118
This is a super awesome post, and I really enjoyed reading it. :) Your worship structure is really inspiring.

Thanks, I am always happy to infodump about my Sobek worship. :) My daily rituals have taken many forms over the years, and haven't always been consistent or regular, but after a lot of trial and error, I found a few things that work in the end.

Sobek is definitely protective. I have a matching set of Sobek and Heru statues that stand at the far edges of my shrine and act as guardians. I always pray to Him for protection if I need it. He's always watching over me, which is what His name means. Watching over you. He is also ridiculously adorable, but then I find crocodiles beautiful, and so perhaps this colours my sense of adorable. But I can't imagine life without Him.
Sobekemiti | Hekatean Witch, Kemetic Orthodox Shemsu, Sobek Devotee | My pronouns are they/she

Ulfsdottir

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2016, 02:45:38 pm »
Quote from: Sobekemiti;186052
Em Hotep,

WOW, thank you for such a detailed reply, and I'm still poking around at your site to find out more! You're very knowledgable about Sobek. You've been VERY helpful for what you've posted here and what I'm digging up on your site! :) I love the prayer you linked there, I think I'm going to use it to base my own prayer off of for when I begin to connect with Him. And it's good to know he doesn't seem to be picky with offerings! Sometimes I think I really overthink the offerings to the Netjeru... :p

I'm having a tough time in my life right now, so I'd love to have His strength and support beside me. He is an amazing Netjer that I really want to get to know more. I follow KO, and I just got my Rite of Parent Divination, so I'm going to begin making a connection to those who showed up as well. It seems to be a good time to try to connect with certain Netjeru and see what kind of relationships I can create.

Thanks for taking the time to help, I really appreciate it, and I've got your site bookmarked for more reading! Thank you!

Dua Sobek, Dua Netjer!
Give Praise to the day at evening, To a woman on her pyre, To a weapon which is tried, To a maid at wed lock, To ice when \'tis crossed, To ale that is drunk. - Hávamál 81

Also known by my Kemetic Orthodoxy name Gezemyinepu (Gez)- "Anointed by Anubis"

Divined a daughter of Anpu and Wepwawet; Beloved of Sekhmet and Hethert.

Sobekemiti

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2016, 09:58:36 am »
Quote from: Ulfsdottir;186231
WOW, thank you for such a detailed reply, and I'm still poking around at your site to find out more! You're very knowledgable about Sobek. You've been VERY helpful for what you've posted here and what I'm digging up on your site! :) I love the prayer you linked there, I think I'm going to use it to base my own prayer off of for when I begin to connect with Him. And it's good to know he doesn't seem to be picky with offerings! Sometimes I think I really overthink the offerings to the Netjeru... :p

I'm having a tough time in my life right now, so I'd love to have His strength and support beside me. He is an amazing Netjer that I really want to get to know more. I follow KO, and I just got my Rite of Parent Divination, so I'm going to begin making a connection to those who showed up as well. It seems to be a good time to try to connect with certain Netjeru and see what kind of relationships I can create.

Thanks for taking the time to help, I really appreciate it, and I've got your site bookmarked for more reading! Thank you!

Dua Sobek, Dua Netjer!

Thanks. I've been worshipping Him for over a decade, and that does lead to some accumulation of knowledge. I'm glad I've been able to give you a place to start, because sometimes that's all you need. Feel free to customise any of the rituals or prayers I've got up on there and make them your own. You know best how you relate to Sobek, so you'll be better able to build something meaningful than I could.

Don't overthink the offerings. Just share a meal with Him, whatever it is you like, and it'll go down well. Over time, you'll probably figure out for yourself what things He prefers from you, and they might be different to what I offer, but that's fine.  I find there's so much more joy in sharing something you love with the gods, even if it's not traditional. Perhaps other polytheists won't agree with me, and of course if your gods have any taboos you should respect those, but generally, I think the food you love approach works the best for the most part.

He's a very strong and protective god, that's for sure. He doesn't have a lot of devotees, so I'm always happy to encourage others to get to know Him. He's not as fearsome as His reputation sometimes suggests.

Congrats on your RPD! I got mind back in 2006, and while I'm no longer Kemetic Orthodox, they taught me a lot. Sobekemiti is my shemsu name; it means 'Sobek is my Daddy' (yes, 'daddy' not father; Sobek, you are adorable). I was divined a child of Sobek, and beloved of Heru-sa-Aset, Aset, Djehuty, and Wepwawet. I never quite managed to connect with Wepwawet, but it was an interesting journey nonetheless.

Good luck, and feel free to get in touch if you want to chat about Sobek. Always happy to help.

Dua Sobek! Nekhtet!

Tags: