Re: "Christ Is King" by SirPalomides
[Today at 08:57:21 am]

Re: "Christ Is King" by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:06:51 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 10:30:17 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 08:31:19 pm]

Author Topic: ADMIN: Moving Board to SMF: What Changes Would You Like to See  (Read 3747 times)

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
ADMIN: Moving Board to SMF: What Changes Would You Like to See
« on: January 27, 2016, 11:03:22 am »
We will soon be moving the board to SMF (see ADMIN: Change Message Board Software (back to SMF)? for why). Unlike previous times we have changed software, we will be taking the message board with us, not starting over with an empty board. However, we will still be making a fresh start, so if there are any changes you would like to see considered, this is the place to tell use about them. Note that what you would like to see may not be possible for various reasons, but we will not even know what you would like to see if you don't say something here.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
Re: ADMIN: Moving Board to SMF: What Changes Would You Like to See
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2016, 09:02:10 am »
Quote from: RandallS;185836
We will soon be moving the board to SMF.

One thing we have considered for a long time is consolidating some of our many separate boards into fewer boards with broader topics -- with more topic prefixes to help label and find stuff in the broader boards. Why do this? Many of our narrow subject boards are not use very much and having so many boards makes it harder for newer members to know where to post something. Beginner boards and SIG boards would not be consolidated, obviously. Opinions please?
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs

Allaya

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Idio-syncretic
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2016, 11:00:39 am »
Quote from: RandallS;185877
One thing we have considered for a long time is consolidating some of our many separate boards into fewer boards with broader topics -- with more topic prefixes to help label and find stuff in the broader boards. Why do this? Many of our narrow subject boards are not use very much and having so many boards makes it harder for newer members to know where to post something. Beginner boards and SIG boards would not be consolidated, obviously. Opinions please?

Seems reasonable to me. No sense in having a brazillion low-traffic areas.

One thing, however. From a UI standpoint, the prefix pulldowns (assuming they are pulldowns and not radio buttons) for each supercategory probably shouldn't have fewer than five prefixes or more than ten prefixes.

Too short and it doesn't register that the prefixes are, yanno, useable and too long and the brain has this nasty tendency to go LOL TL;DR.
Service is the rent we pay for the privilege of living on this earth.  — Shirley Chisholm
No doubt the truth can be unpleasant, but I am not sure that unpleasantness is the same as the truth.  — Roger Ebert
It is difficult to get a person to understand something when their livelihood depends upon them not understanding it. — Upton Sinclair (adapted)
People cannot be reasoned out of an opinion that they have not reasoned themselves into. — Fisher Ames (adapted)

Yei

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Mexica Reconstructionism
  • Preferred Pronouns: He/Him/His
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2016, 04:00:38 pm »
Quote from: RandallS;185836
We will soon be moving the board to SMF (see ADMIN: Change Message Board Software (back to SMF)? for why). Unlike previous times we have changed software, we will be taking the message board with us, not starting over with an empty board. However, we will still be making a fresh start, so if there are any changes you would like to see considered, this is the place to tell use about them. Note that what you would like to see may not be possible for various reasons, but we will not even know what you would like to see if you don't say something here.

I'm curious to see how this new site will deal with spammers. I understand that in the past year or so we've been bothered by a few spam accounts.

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; UU; CoX; Etc
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, they, she
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2016, 04:06:51 pm »
Quote from: Yei;185893
I'm curious to see how this new site will deal with spammers. I understand that in the past year or so we've been bothered by a few spam accounts.

We have always been bothered by spam accounts; we always will be bothered by spam accounts.  Nothing about the spam has really changed in the last year.
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

Yei

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Mexica Reconstructionism
  • Preferred Pronouns: He/Him/His
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2016, 04:12:19 pm »
Quote from: Darkhawk;185894
We have always been bothered by spam accounts; we always will be bothered by spam accounts.  Nothing about the spam has really changed in the last year.

Funny but I don't remember having any problems with spam accounts until about a year ago. Since then I've been watching the spam counter slowly tick suspiciously upwards. I was probably not paying much attention though.

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2016, 06:54:47 pm »
Quote from: Allaya;185881
One thing, however. From a UI standpoint, the prefix pulldowns (assuming they are pulldowns and not radio buttons) for each supercategory probably shouldn't have fewer than five prefixes or more than ten prefixes.

We will try to keep the number reasonable. However, some areas -- like Pagan Religions -- are going to have more than ten because there are more than ten different religions discussed often here. Reality has to trump UI sometimes. :(
Randall

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2016, 06:57:13 pm »
Quote from: Yei;185893

As Darkhawk said, spammers have always been a problem. Almost the exact same systems we use here to keep spammers from registering will be used on the SMF board. However, none can totally prevent spammers from getting through so long as we allow people to register who we do not personally know.
Randall

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; UU; CoX; Etc
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, they, she
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2016, 06:58:15 pm »
Quote from: Yei;185895
Funny but I don't remember having any problems with spam accounts until about a year ago. Since then I've been watching the spam counter slowly tick suspiciously upwards. I was probably not paying much attention though.

I suspect the thing you are noticing is that there is some sort of counter in the first place.
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

Tags: