Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Book(s) you are afraid to read(?)  (Read 8668 times)

Kaio

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Book(s) you are afraid to read(?)
« on: January 26, 2016, 09:55:11 pm »
Is there any book you're afraid to read? If yes, what is it?
When in Rome do as the Romans do. (Ambrose)

Emma Eldritch

• Staff
    • View Profile
    • https://rocknrollwitch.blogspot.ca/
Re: Book(s) you are afraid to read(?)
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2016, 10:22:48 pm »
Quote from: Kaio;185806

Nope. I'm like a protagonist in an H.P. Lovecraft story - if you told me "this book contains forbidden knowledge that may drive you mad!" I'd be like, "give it to me."

Kylara

• Staff
    • View Profile
    • https://www.patreon.com/kyndryana
  • Religion: Norse Fusion Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2016, 08:00:45 am »
Quote from: Mama Fortuna;185807
Nope. I'm like a protagonist in an H.P. Lovecraft story - if you told me "this book contains forbidden knowledge that may drive you mad!" I'd be like, "give it to me."

I'm pretty much the same way.  In college there was this story floating around that the library basement was haunted, and of course everyone had heard that you were never supposed to read the Necronomicon out loud....so I had to take my copy to the library basement and dictate it.  I knew it was silly, but that part of me that has to push things still had to do it.
Check out my Patreon for more writing and other goodies!

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2016, 08:15:13 am »
Quote from: Mama Fortuna;185807

LOL. That's me as well.

However, there are books I don't want to read because I know they are nonsense or would boring me to tears.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

MeadowRae

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Pantheist Pagan Witch with Celtic Leanings
  • Preferred Pronouns: They/He/She
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2016, 08:21:59 am »

Any book on Satanism. Maybe it's the way I was raised or just my intuition saying it isn't right for me, but I don't want any parts of it, so I'm staying away. I am interested in reading Raymond Buckland's Complete book of Witchcraft, but I'm nervous about it for some reason that I can't seem to shake. I think it represents a commitment that I'm not quite ready for yet, but that's just a theory.
The genderqueer witch your mother warned you about

Cabal

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Belgae Polytheism
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2016, 02:00:15 pm »

Probably The Lesser Key of Solomon. I want to read it,but have read how it can really turn on you, if you're not ready. So I'm afraid to read it.
"In Hell, everybody loves popcorn."

Emma Eldritch

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2016, 10:14:11 pm »
Quote from: ViolaRae;185830
Any book on Satanism. Maybe it's the way I was raised or just my intuition saying it isn't right for me, but I don't want any parts of it, so I'm staying away. I am interested in reading Raymond Buckland's Complete book of Witchcraft, but I'm nervous about it for some reason that I can't seem to shake. I think it represents a commitment that I'm not quite ready for yet, but that's just a theory.

You're not missing anything spooky and scary, I promise - the Satanic Bible is just Ayn Rand type philosophy dressed up in black, and the Satanic Witch appears to have been written about my mother. Honestly the only scary part is the casual 1970s sexism. (...I do still own a copy of the Satanic Witch anyway, mind you. It was a gift and I'm weirdly fond of it.)

Bucky's Big Blue was my first pagan book! It is a little heavy if you're brand new to Wicca; I remember being fifteen or sixteen and wondering if I really had to be nude for everything like the book depicted.

RecycledBenedict

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2016, 04:19:55 am »
Quote from: Cryfder;185838
Probably The Lesser Key of Solomon. I want to read it,but have read how it can really turn on you, if you're not ready. So I'm afraid to read it.

It will not turn on you, just because you study it. To work with it is another matter.  The Lesser Key is arranged in five parts. The hierarchy of spirits in the first segment of the book has a reputation of turning the outcome of any operations with them into something which is not good for human beings. That reputation does not apply to the rest of the book. Part Three works just fine.

MeadowRae

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2016, 06:19:20 am »
Quote from: Mama Fortuna;185860
You're not missing anything spooky and scary, I promise - the Satanic Bible is just Ayn Rand type philosophy dressed up in black, and the Satanic Witch appears to have been written about my mother. Honestly the only scary part is the casual 1970s sexism. (...I do still own a copy of the Satanic Witch anyway, mind you. It was a gift and I'm weirdly fond of it.)

Bucky's Big Blue was my first pagan book! It is a little heavy if you're brand new to Wicca; I remember being fifteen or sixteen and wondering if I really had to be nude for everything like the book depicted.

I'm afraid I'm not familiar with Ayn Rand's philosophy (adding that to my research list.) The sexism is surprising to me; not sure why.

Kaio

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2016, 10:40:05 am »

As for me, I'm afraid to read The Book of Saint Ciprian. I don't know its name in other languages.
When in Rome do as the Romans do. (Ambrose)

Emma Eldritch

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2016, 10:09:39 pm »
Quote from: ViolaRae;185872
I'm afraid I'm not familiar with Ayn Rand's philosophy (adding that to my research list.) The sexism is surprising to me; not sure why.

In a nutshell, Satanism is about doing what you want and taking responsibility for your actions. You're not supposed to hurt people unless they hurt you first, you should practice indulgence over abstinence, and knowledge is considered pretty important. (Note: I am most familiar with LaVey's brand of Satanism so that's where I'm getting this.)

As for the sexism, it was the late 60s/early 70s. The Satanic Witch relies on stereotypical gender roles quite a bit, and functions mostly as a man catching manual. (This is not uncommon for the time period - I have a few vintage witchcraft books that are focused almost entirely on sex and landing a husband.) I suspect modern day Satanists are a little more realistic about the flexibility of gender roles.

Aster Breo

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2016, 12:57:22 am »
Quote from: Kaio;185880
As for me, I'm afraid to read The Book of Saint Ciprian. I don't know its name in other languages.

Why? I'm not familiar with that book, so I'm curious about why it's scary.
"The status is not quo."  ~ Dr. Horrible

MeadowRae

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2016, 06:31:04 am »
Quote from: Mama Fortuna;185910
In a nutshell, Satanism is about doing what you want and taking responsibility for your actions. You're not supposed to hurt people unless they hurt you first, you should practice indulgence over abstinence, and knowledge is considered pretty important. (Note: I am most familiar with LaVey's brand of Satanism so that's where I'm getting this.)

As for the sexism, it was the late 60s/early 70s. The Satanic Witch relies on stereotypical gender roles quite a bit, and functions mostly as a man catching manual. (This is not uncommon for the time period - I have a few vintage witchcraft books that are focused almost entirely on sex and landing a husband.) I suspect modern day Satanists are a little more realistic about the flexibility of gender roles.

Oh, okay, the sexism part makes more sense now. I'm guessing there are a lot of love spells involved.

The philosophy sounds a bit like Epicurianism, actually. It's not something that appeals to me, as I believe personal sacrifice (time, money, self) is an important part of religious experience. I really appreciate the explanation, tho. It's far less spooky to me now. :)

RecycledBenedict

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2016, 08:03:26 am »
Quote from: Aster Breo;185916
Why? I'm not familiar with that book, so I'm curious about why it's scary.

Books of St. Cyprian are not one book. There is an entire genre of books  ascribed to St. Cyprian of Antioch, just as there exist many different books named after King Solomon* or claiming to be The Necronomicon.**

In 17th and 18th century Norway there circulated at least three different Cyprian-books, in Denmark known with the alternate spelling Sybrianus. Their matter was cunning craft. Take a look at Johannes Gårdbäck's webpage if you want to read the bibliographic details.

Stephen Skinner and David Rankine are the editors of another Cyprian-book, Grimoire of St. Cyprian: Clavis Inferni (released by Golden Hoard and Llewellyn), treating the subject of the four spirit-kings Paymon, Maimon, Egyn and Oriens in conjuction with the archangels Michael, Gabriel, Raphael and Uriel.

Since Kaio is Brazilian, I very much suspect that the particular book mentioned is a Portuguese one, O Grande Livro de São Cipriano, aka 'The Great Book of St. Cyprian' or 'Book of St. Cyprian: The Sorcerer's Treasure' (first printed in 1849, translated into English by Jose Leitao, Hadean Press, 2014).

There also exist lore about St. Cyprian in the Portuguese-speaking world independently of that particular book. In Guides to the Underworld: The Saints, Hadean Press has printed two essays about lore surrounding St. Cyprian.

* Hygromanteia Salomonis, its several offsprings and adaptations under the name Clavicula Salomonis, the independent Lesser Key of Solomon in five parts, The Clavis or Key, The Nine Great Keys et cetera
** either as a piece of art, a jest, or catering to the Chaos Magick crowd

Emma Eldritch

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2016, 10:29:51 am »
Quote from: ViolaRae;185924
Oh, okay, the sexism part makes more sense now. I'm guessing there are a lot of love spells involved.

The philosophy sounds a bit like Epicurianism, actually. It's not something that appeals to me, as I believe personal sacrifice (time, money, self) is an important part of religious experience. I really appreciate the explanation, tho. It's far less spooky to me now. :)

I think there's only one love spell, actually. Most of it is tips and tricks for accidentally exposing enough of yourself that people think they're seeing something naughty. (Which as a burlesque performer I have to say is not exactly bad stage advice.)

Yeah, that's a good comparison! It's that but in black robes is all.

Tags: