Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Alternate Universe Questions  (Read 3285 times)

Pteranotropi

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Alternate Universe Questions
« on: January 25, 2016, 10:57:42 am »
The more I study indo-european religions, the more I wonder just how Europe would have been without Christianity.

For instance, do you think the *Dyeus derived gods (Zeus, Jupiter, Reo, Dievs, et cetera) would have remained dominant, or would it be like with Odin and Týr, when another random god supplanted the local sky god?

Would Iberia reclaim its own sky god, Reo, after the fall of the Roman Empire? Or would it adopt Jupiter still?

RecycledBenedict

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: Alternate Universe Questions
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2016, 03:01:05 pm »
Quote from: Pteranotropi;185753
The more I study indo-european religions, the more I wonder just how Europe would have been without Christianity.

For instance, do you think the *Dyeus derived gods (Zeus, Jupiter, Reo, Dievs, et cetera) would have remained dominant, or would it be like with Odin and Týr, when another random god supplanted the local sky god?

Would Iberia reclaim its own sky god, Reo, after the fall of the Roman Empire? Or would it adopt Jupiter still?

I am bad at contrafactual speculation, but I want to bring your attention to, that the name of Zeus is related to *Dyeus, but his function is more related to Indra and equivalents to him: Thor, Taranis, Tarhunt, Perun and Perkunas.

M.L. West argues that the Chronide initially was known as Zeus Keraunos, in distinction to his grandfather Zeus Uranos.

Nor are Indo-European languages the only ones in Europe. Finnish, Sami, Meänkieli, Estonian and Hungarian are descendants of Proto-Uralic, Turkish is (not surprisingly) a Turkic language, and Basque is an isolate.

Wimsaur

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2016, 09:14:08 am »

I suspect the world would have been very different had it not been taken over by the filthy Christian church.

Before Christianity was formalized to enslave the masses and persecute free thinkers from superior faiths, Rome had many innovations that became lost until modern times.

I suspect that science would have flourished and religions would have evolved instead of stunted the human mind. Gods that enlighten may have prevailed that assisted humanity in realizing our potential.

A knowledge of astrology would suggest that the stars would have had to be different for anything else to occur.

The curse of Christianity, the bane of humanity, is just as much the product of the aeon of Pisces than any one human influence. Pisces is all about large organizations. In contrast, Aquarius (our current aeon) is about personal growth, creativity, and evolution.

If the stars be the same in a parallel universe than a religion based on large institutions may be inevitable. If not, then the gods would manifest with the stars of that universe.

-Wimsaur.

Yei

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Mexica Reconstructionism
  • Preferred Pronouns: He/Him/His
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2016, 04:00:46 pm »
Quote from: Wimsaur;185772
I suspect the world would have been very different had it not been taken over by the filthy Christian church.

Before Christianity was formalized to enslave the masses and persecute free thinkers from superior faiths, Rome had many innovations that became lost until modern times.

I suspect that science would have flourished and religions would have evolved instead of stunted the human mind. Gods that enlighten may have prevailed that assisted humanity in realizing our potential.

A knowledge of astrology would suggest that the stars would have had to be different for anything else to occur.

The curse of Christianity, the bane of humanity, is just as much the product of the aeon of Pisces than any one human influence. Pisces is all about large organizations. In contrast, Aquarius (our current aeon) is about personal growth, creativity, and evolution.

If the stars be the same in a parallel universe than a religion based on large institutions may be inevitable. If not, then the gods would manifest with the stars of that universe.

-Wimsaur.

Whoa! Slow down there Cowboy!

While the Christian Church has caused a lot of problems, the real situation is more complicated than you are stating. For a start, both Roman and Greek civilisations made heavy use of slaves and slavery. Christianity at first opposed slavery, though it later became a justification for slavery in the Americas.

While it is true that the Middle Ages represented a great loss of knowledge from the Roman era, this had as much to do with the collapse of the Roman Economic system as with Christianity. It is also worth pointing out that, despite the Churches hierarchy and authoritarianism, Christianity also produced some of the most radical social movements in history. Though these only vaguely resembled past and contemporary Christian faiths.

I think that the area where Christianity has been perhaps more specifically problematic, has actually been with the environment, as traditionally Christianity does not value the natural world so much. Christianity also tends to view plants and animals as objects rather than living beings. In the modern era, Conservative Christianity has been implicated in Climate Change Denial. But of course, this is a complex and multi-faceted issue.

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2016, 08:16:16 pm »
Quote from: Wimsaur;185772

*** MOD HAT ON ***
Generalized attacks on a religion are against forum rules. This post contains sever such attacks on Christianity. The Cauldron is NOT the place for bashing Christianity or any other religion.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

Gnowan

• Sr. Apprentice
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2016, 03:22:06 am »
Quote from: RandallS;185802
*** MOD HAT ON ***
Generalized attacks on a religion are against forum rules. This post contains sever such attacks on Christianity. The Cauldron is NOT the place for bashing Christianity or any other religion.

I 'm still new here and I don't know how or where to post this and whether I can do it publicly or privately.

I so appreciate y'all not supporting Christian-bashing.  Expressing ideas, yes, and differing opinions, yes.

Some adjectives just shouldn't be used.

(I tried looking through the rules and couldn't find anything that seemed to fit.)

I am new here and I've checked out a lot of boards.  I believe in free speech.  I'm also a believer in reeling in some of those adjectives, so you can make a point, without it being blatantly offensive.

I'm also a believer that you don't have to reel in every word so that a point can be made without excessive offendedness.

I tell ya what--there's a fine line.......

~Gnowan

Pteranotropi

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2016, 10:17:21 am »
Quote from: FraterBenedict;185759
I am bad at contrafactual speculation, but I want to bring your attention to, that the name of Zeus is related to *Dyeus, but his function is more related to Indra and equivalents to him: Thor, Taranis, Tarhunt, Perun and Perkunas.

M.L. West argues that the Chronide initially was known as Zeus Keraunos, in distinction to his grandfather Zeus Uranos.

Nor are Indo-European languages the only ones in Europe. Finnish, Sami, Meänkieli, Estonian and Hungarian are descendants of Proto-Uralic, Turkish is (not surprisingly) a Turkic language, and Basque is an isolate.

Interesting. Though I wouldn't say the role changed (the Perkwnos-derived gods aside from Indra are rarely god kings), just acquired traits of that deity like lightning, promiscuity and oak trees.

LunaStar

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2016, 04:27:43 pm »

This is really interesting.  I feel like the story could have taken any direction.  From a writer's perspective, it would be fun to create various scenarios and then write their lore.

Tags: