"Christ Is King" by Altair
[Today at 01:09:34 am]

Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Author Topic: Family: I don't normally get super personal here but  (Read 3552 times)

PrincessKLS

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Religion: goddess worship grey, folk magick, hoodoo inspired.
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
I don't normally get super personal here but
« on: January 22, 2016, 01:19:09 am »
Okay I'm glad I finally got a B.A. back in May but I still haven't found a job, I've had to a one-month forebearence on my student loans, I sent in my proof of having a low-income due to receiving SSDI (disability) and I check my new message tonight from my student loan service and yes they did lower my payment from $400 something to like $234.

I understand I'm $40,000 in debt but I only make a bit over $1200 a month, in my new apartment in a bigger town (I moved here because I thought the job market would be better here then my hometown and I can't afford to move California). So yes I can't afford to pay $234 a month because my rent is $555 per month and I'm looking into getting assistance to get that lowered because I still have utilities that range from $50-$90 a month and grocery. I don't even have cable right now. My cell phone bill is outrageous. I'm seriously thinking of getting a forgiveness based off my disability.

I have tried getting a job, I even signed up at a special employment agency and they haven't gotten me a job yet. I assumed when I signed up for an IBR my payment wouldn't be more than $50 but I was wrong. So frustrated and I can't sleep anymore because of the stress. I'm not even sure where my new city ranks in terms of employment/unemployment rate but in general I live in a section of the US that is a poor area, oh I forgot to mention, I still need to borrow money from mom for food even though I get $16 in food stamps, and started going to a local food bank, it's crazy.

Yes I know I made some friviolous buys here and there but still. I don't understand why if the average college grad has to wait a year to get their first post-college job, why do they only get a grace period of 6 months? Why not extend it to 12 months? Anyway, having to consider this really hurts my pride, I wanted to able to say I got a job after graduation and I can pay off these loans. Tommorrow, I'll have to call Social Security and my student loan officers to get it straighten up.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2019, 01:15:49 pm by RandallS »
PrincessKLS

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
Re: I don't normally get super personal here but....
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2016, 01:45:18 am »
Quote from: PrincessKLS;185580

A Reminder:
Hi, Princess KLS,

We don't mind long posts here, but to avoid having a hard-to-read  wall-o'-text, hitting "enter" twice every few lines adds some white  space and makes it easier to follow - I've edited yours to add those  breaks, but it's a really good habit to get into yourself.

They don't have to be the "proper" place for paragraph breaks (we're  interested in readability more than technicalities), or a complete  change of thought - some thoughts take a lot of lines and need to be  broken up into sub-thoughts - as long as they're there.

This isn't a formal warning, just a reminder.  No  reply is necessary,  but if you have questions or need clarification,  please feel free to  contact a member of staff privately.

Thanks!
Sunflower, TC Forum Staff
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

PrincessKLS

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2016, 01:56:05 am »
Quote from: SunflowerP;185584
A Reminder:
Hi, Princess KLS,

We don't mind long posts here, but to avoid having a hard-to-read  wall-o'-text, hitting "enter" twice every few lines adds some white  space and makes it easier to follow - I've edited yours to add those  breaks, but it's a really good habit to get into yourself.

They don't have to be the "proper" place for paragraph breaks (we're  interested in readability more than technicalities), or a complete  change of thought - some thoughts take a lot of lines and need to be  broken up into sub-thoughts - as long as they're there.

This isn't a formal warning, just a reminder.  No  reply is necessary,  but if you have questions or need clarification,  please feel free to  contact a member of staff privately.

Thanks!
Sunflower, TC Forum Staff

Okay duly noted.
PrincessKLS

MeadowRae

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Pantheist Pagan Witch with Celtic Leanings
  • Preferred Pronouns: They/He/She
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2016, 06:34:11 am »
Okay I'm glad I finally got a B.A. back in May but I still haven't found a job, I've had to a one-month forebearence on my student loans, I sent in my proof of having a low-income due to receiving SSDI (disability) and I check my new message tonight from my student loan service and yes they did lower my payment from $400 something to like $234.

I understand I'm $40,000 in debt but I only make a bit over $1200 a month, in my new apartment in a bigger town (I moved here because I thought the job market would be better here then my hometown and I can't afford to move California). So yes I can't afford to pay $234 a month because my rent is $555 per month and I'm looking into getting assistance to get that lowered because I still have utilities that range from $50-$90 a month and grocery. I don't even have cable right now. My cell phone bill is outrageous. I'm seriously thinking of getting a forgiveness based off my disability.

I have tried getting a job, I even signed up at a special employment agency and they haven't gotten me a job yet. I assumed when I signed up for an IBR my payment wouldn't be more than $50 but I was wrong. So frustrated and I can't sleep anymore because of the stress. I'm not even sure where my new city ranks in terms of employment/unemployment rate but in general I live in a section of the US that is a poor area, oh I forgot to mention, I still need to borrow money from mom for food even though I get $16 in food stamps, and started going to a local food bank, it's crazy.

Yes I know I made some friviolous buys here and there but still. I don't understand why if the average college grad has to wait a year to get their first post-college job, why do they only get a grace period of 6 months? Why not extend it to 12 months? Anyway, having to consider this really hurts my pride, I wanted to able to say I got a job after graduation and I can pay off these loans. Tommorrow, I'll have to call Social Security and my student loan officers to get it straighten up.

I was on the IBR plan, too. They recently (and I mean in the last month) made changes to the Pay As You Earn plan because they found that many people like yourself couldn't afford the calculated payments. I also work in the field, and what I have noticed is that if you don't have dependents you are pretty screwed with the IBR calculation. The Department of Ed weighs children pretty highly.

The only downside to switching plans is that you lose "credit" towards forgiveness that you earned on your previous plan. IBR requires 25 years of consistent payment (even if the payment is zero) in order for loans to be forgiven. Pay As You Earn requires 20. If you go from IBR to Pay As You Earn, you automatically start over at 20, regardless of how long you have been paying on IBR.

Also, I am not sure what area of VA you live in, are you in Low Income Tax Credit Housing or HUD or some other structure? (Feel free to ignore this one, as I understand it's a personal question.)

I think that's about all I know about loans and such, but feel free to PM me with any questions that I maybe could help with, and good luck. I'll keep you in my prayers.
The genderqueer witch your mother warned you about

Holdasown

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • Blog
  • Religion: Norse/Germanic Polytheists
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2016, 09:58:28 am »

If you are not working you an get an extension sometimes. They calling the student loan place.

PrincessKLS

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2016, 02:05:01 pm »
Quote from: ViolaRae;185599
I was on the IBR plan, too. They recently (and I mean in the last month) made changes to the Pay As You Earn plan because they found that many people like yourself couldn't afford the calculated payments. I also work in the field, and what I have noticed is that if you don't have dependents you are pretty screwed with the IBR calculation. The Department of Ed weighs children pretty highly.

The only downside to switching plans is that you lose "credit" towards forgiveness that you earned on your previous plan. IBR requires 25 years of consistent payment (even if the payment is zero) in order for loans to be forgiven. Pay As You Earn requires 20. If you go from IBR to Pay As You Earn, you automatically start over at 20, regardless of how long you have been paying on IBR.

Also, I am not sure what area of VA you live in, are you in Low Income Tax Credit Housing or HUD or some other structure? (Feel free to ignore this one, as I understand it's a personal question.)

I think that's about all I know about loans and such, but feel free to PM me with any questions that I maybe could help with, and good luck. I'll keep you in my prayers.

Well I called the center today and basically the lady told me that the paperwork I sent in earlier around Christmas Time hadn't been processed and I talked to her about my situation and she agreed I should be paying less $200 a month. I'm really hoping for just a $50 per month payment right now. That's the maximum I can really afford. But honestly if they can't lower it to something more reasonable than I will have to apply for student loan forgiveness based on permanent disability. I looked into and apparently, one of the ways I can get approved for it, would just to send off a copy of my award letter from SSA. If worse comes to worse, I figure I can try for forgiveness at least.
PrincessKLS

Tags: