Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Could someone explain to me  (Read 6105 times)

Holdasown

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • Blog
  • Religion: Norse/Germanic Polytheists
Could someone explain to me
« on: January 12, 2016, 06:43:13 am »
Why we are not allowed to talk to mods on the forum but all reprimands are on the forum. Why are strikes and discipline not available for us to see at any time in our profile?

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
Re: Could someone explain to me
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2016, 08:04:41 am »
Quote from: Holdasown;185043
Why we are not allowed to talk to mods on the forum but all reprimands are on the forum. Why are strikes and discipline not available for us to see at any time in our profile?

Because that the way this board is run. Moderation is public. You violate the rules in public so you are moderated in public. Arguments with moderators are not allowed in public, you can PM/email them.

The rules of this board in this area have worked well for us since this board started as a forum on Delphi (back when it was just Delphi, not Delphiforums) in 1998. I know this is not the way many other boards do things, but those boards are not this board.  If you do not like this works (and it is mentioned in the rules you agreed to read and follow when you signed up for this board so you have no excuse for not knowing about it before you made you first post), your sole option is to find another board with rules you like better. The way handle rules violations on this board will not be changing unless some buying the site and gets to run it their way. I will only consider offers that live me with US$1,000,000 after all taxes on the sale (including our income taxes on that sale).

This is not a moderation post, so you are welcome to reply publicly so long as you follow the rules. Suggestions/Arguments that we should do it different will have zero effect, however. People have made them before -- I believe there is at least one long thread of such arguments on the previous incarnation of this board -- and nothing changed because we prefer the way we currently do things.  Note: staff will not waste much time countering any such arguments, however.

Randall
Co-Host, The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

Holdasown

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • Blog
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2016, 08:37:31 am »
Quote from: RandallS;185046
Because that the way this board is run. Moderation is public. You violate the rules in public so you are moderated in public. Arguments with moderators are not allowed in public, you can PM/email them.

The rules of this board in this area have worked well for us since this board started as a forum on Delphi (back when it was just Delphi, not Delphiforums) in 1998. I know this is not the way many other boards do things, but those boards are not this board.  If you do not like this works (and it is mentioned in the rules you agreed to read and follow when you signed up for this board so you have no excuse for not knowing about it before you made you first post), your sole option is to find another board with rules you like better. The way handle rules violations on this board will not be changing unless some buying the site and gets to run it their way. I will only consider offers that live me with US$1,000,000 after all taxes on the sale (including our income taxes on that sale).

This is not a moderation post, so you are welcome to reply publicly so long as you follow the rules. Suggestions/Arguments that we should do it different will have zero effect, however. People have made them before -- I believe there is at least one long thread of such arguments on the previous incarnation of this board -- and nothing changed because we prefer the way we currently do things.  Note: staff will not waste much time countering any such arguments, however.

Randall
Co-Host, The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum

Why is there no way to see our marks against us? It should show up in our profile. Thanks for keeping professional in your response. It's very mature.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2016, 08:40:19 am by Holdasown »

Sarah

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2016, 08:41:19 am »
Quote from: Holdasown;185048
Why is there no way to see our marks against us? It should show up in our profile. Thanks for keeping professional in your response. It's very mature.

Is it that hard to remember it? Or if you can't then write it down somewhere.
Knowing when to use a shovel is what being a witch is all about. Nanny Ogg, Witches Abroad

Holdasown

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • Blog
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2016, 08:42:58 am »
Quote from: Jake_;185049
Is it that hard to remember it? Or if you can't then write it down somewhere.

Are you a staff member? You know what forget it. The place is too big to care and members who aren't staff thing being a douche bag is cute.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2016, 08:43:58 am by Holdasown »

Sarah

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2016, 08:44:06 am »
Quote from: Holdasown;185050
Are you a staff member?

nope. Why?
Knowing when to use a shovel is what being a witch is all about. Nanny Ogg, Witches Abroad

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2016, 09:39:36 am »
Quote from: Holdasown;185050
Are you a staff member? You know what forget it. The place is too big to care and members who aren't staff thing being a douche bag is cute.

[mod=Host Hat On]Personal attacks are against the rules. This is your FOURTH warning in six weeks. You have a one-week vacation from this message board. If you wish to remain a member here, I strongly suggest that you re-read the rules during this week and think about how you can follow them instead of how you can work around them.
 [/mod]
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs

Gnowan

• Sr. Apprentice
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2016, 10:11:02 pm »
Quote from: RandallS;185046

I have a question about this, since you brought it up.  Are members allowed to post an opposing viewpoint on a topic from the moderators?  Not in an argumentative way, but to express, respectfully, a different point of view.  Global warming (god forbid this one comes up) as an example.  Say, if a moderator says it's real and a member disagrees, is that allowed?

I ask because I've belonged to forums where the staff had zero tolerance for any thoughts that differed from their own.  It rather limited the extent of the discussion and exchange of ideas.

~Gnowan

Aster Breo

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2016, 11:10:42 pm »
Quote from: Gnowan;185508
I have a question about this, since you brought it up.  Are members allowed to post an opposing viewpoint on a topic from the moderators?  Not in an argumentative way, but to express, respectfully, a different point of view.  Global warming (god forbid this one comes up) as an example.  Say, if a moderator says it's real and a member disagrees, is that allowed?

I ask because I've belonged to forums where the staff had zero tolerance for any thoughts that differed from their own.  It rather limited the extent of the discussion and exchange of ideas.

~Gnowan

I'm not Randall, but as a long-time Cauldronite and staff member, I can confidently tell you that, not only are you most certainly allowed to post differing viewpoints, it's strongly encouraged. TC is a discussion and debate forum. Discussion and debate often require differing opinions.

What DOES violate the rules are personal attacks against other posters and blanket condemnations of peoples, cultures, or religions.

Link to the rules: http://ecauldron.com/forum/misc.php?do=vsarules

So, by way of example, and using the example you used, let's say Randall (or anyone else) posted: "Climate change is not real. I can tell because it's 20 degrees and snowing here where I live, so obviously the planet isn't getting too hot."  (Which Randall would never post except as a joke.)

You're absolutely allowed to disagree. You can post things like: "You're wrong about climate change. The evidence shows that the earth's temperature has increased X degrees over the past Y years, regardless of whatever the local weather might be at any one place and time." You can ask Randall to cite his sources. You can post links to sources that show he's wrong. You can even say things like: "Climate change is real, and I know this because my alien overlords told me so." (Though, if you post that kind of thing, you'll undoubtedly be challenged.)

What you may not post is anything like: "You're an idiot if you think climate change is not real." Because that is a personal attack.

You also may not post anything like: "It figures that you'd fall for that nonsense about climate change being faked, because [your religion] is so stupid that you'd have to be stupid to be a member." Because that is a blanket condemnation of a religion.

(Obviously, these are examples of personal attacks and religion bashing, which can also take other forms. All forms are against the rules.)

The only time you're not allowed to argue with Randall or a staff member is regarding a point of moderation. If you disagree with how the rules have been enforced, you may contact a host or staff member privately to ask for clarification.

Hope this helps, but if you have questions, ask!

~ Aster
"The status is not quo."  ~ Dr. Horrible

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2016, 08:04:32 am »
Quote from: Gnowan;185508

What Aster said. You are allowed to publicly argue with anyone (even a staff member, admin, or famous member) about anything that is not a moderator action/rules enforcement issue so long as you follow the rules (main one: no personal attacks/generalized attacks on a religion) just about anywhere on the board. The main exception is the Prayer Requests board with is NOT for debate and discussion.

I loathe boards like that.
Randall

Gnowan

• Sr. Apprentice
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2016, 03:29:02 pm »
Quote from: RandallS;185536
I loathe boards like that.

You and me both, brother!  So glad this isn't one of them!

Tags: