Re: "Christ Is King" by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 10:30:17 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 08:31:19 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 07:54:40 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sefiru
[Yesterday at 07:44:49 pm]

Author Topic: Can't see thread  (Read 3349 times)

RecycledBenedict

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
Can't see thread
« on: January 10, 2016, 08:35:02 am »
I just responded in a thread in the beginner-friendly area with a name similar to Confused. Think that I am a Pagan, but when i click on the thread my screen goes white. My screen does not go white when I click on other threads. I believe that i might have become logged out before. I am not a computer geek, so i have no idea what is happening technologically.

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; UU; CoX; Etc
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, they, she
Re: Can't see thread
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2016, 12:38:28 pm »
Quote from: FraterBenedict;184940
I just responded in a thread in the beginner-friendly area with a name similar to Confused. Think that I am a Pagan, but when i click on the thread my screen goes white. My screen does not go white when I click on other threads. I believe that i might have become logged out before. I am not a computer geek, so i have no idea what is happening technologically.

There has been an intermittently recurring board issue causing this at intervals.  At first I thought it had to do with server work Randall was doing but since it appears to keep happening I don't know.

The good news is: wait for a little while and it will work again.  For some values of "a little while"; I was getting the blank white page on this thread three or four hours after it was posted, but it's back up now.
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

Allaya

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Idio-syncretic
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2016, 12:49:24 pm »
Quote from: Darkhawk;184942
There has been an intermittently recurring board issue causing this at intervals.  At first I thought it had to do with server work Randall was doing but since it appears to keep happening I don't know.

The good news is: wait for a little while and it will work again.  For some values of "a little while"; I was getting the blank white page on this thread three or four hours after it was posted, but it's back up now.

Randall, is it's of any use to you...the message on my browsers (Chrome, Firefox) is a 500 Internal server error.
Service is the rent we pay for the privilege of living on this earth.  — Shirley Chisholm
No doubt the truth can be unpleasant, but I am not sure that unpleasantness is the same as the truth.  — Roger Ebert
It is difficult to get a person to understand something when their livelihood depends upon them not understanding it. — Upton Sinclair (adapted)
People cannot be reasoned out of an opinion that they have not reasoned themselves into. — Fisher Ames (adapted)

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2016, 01:16:33 pm »
Quote from: Allaya;184943
Randall, is it's of any use to you...the message on my browsers (Chrome, Firefox) is a 500 Internal server error.

I am being to suspect that Vbulletin is breaking. This started happening after I did a security update on the server. No major chances were included, just bug/security fixes. However, Vbulletin 4.x does not handle modern versions of php very well. While we are still using an old one, (and are stuck there because of Vbulletin) some of the final fixes for our version of php seem to be causing issues -- but only with Vbulletin. Even when this board is having issues, wordpress still works on the main site, the old SMF 1.1 board still works, etc.

We moved to Vbulletin in the hope of getting away from issues like this. Unfortunately, the new version of Vbulletin (5.x) sucks big time as it tries hard to be more like facebook and less like a message board. The company behind Vbulletin has greatly slowed support for older versions in an apparent attempt to get people to move to the 5.x version, but few people want it.

I'm not sure what the solution is at the moment.  When we start getting the white pages instead of messages, the only thing that works is restarting things (sometimes just apache and mysql) other times the entire server. Sometimes it takes a couple of attempts. :(
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

RecycledBenedict

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2016, 01:22:40 pm »
Quote from: RandallS;184945

I'm not sure what the solution is at the moment.  When we start getting the white pages instead of messages, the only thing that works is restarting things (sometimes just apache and mysql) other times the entire server. Sometimes it takes a couple of attempts. :(

The website is back to normal now, it seems.

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2016, 02:43:51 pm »
Quote from: FraterBenedict;184947
The website is back to normal now, it seems.

The forum is back because Darkhawk emailed me saying it was down and I restarted server stuff until it started displaying messages again.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

RecycledBenedict

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2016, 06:31:49 pm »
Quote from: RandallS;184948
The forum is back because Darkhawk emailed me saying it was down and I restarted server stuff until it started displaying messages again.

Thank you for the work you dedicate to keeping this community running. May Hermes-Thoth bless you.

Tags: