Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Home: Himalayan Salt Lamps  (Read 2942 times)

Olivia

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Himalayan Salt Lamps
« on: January 07, 2016, 11:38:38 pm »
I have bad allergies and I heard that the Himalayan salt lamps are really good for that. Has anyone tried them and did you think they worked?
« Last Edit: May 08, 2019, 10:32:51 am by RandallS »

Scales

• Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: Himalayan Salt Lamps
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2016, 03:19:43 am »
Quote from: Olivia;184821
I have bad allergies and I heard that the Himalayan salt lamps are really good for that. Has anyone tried them and did you think they worked?

What are you allergic to? If it's dust and stuff (airborne bits in your house), I could see them working (but I don't have experience).

PerditaPickle

• Staff
  • It's all metta - at least, I believe it should be
    • View Profile
    • Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity
  • Religion: Druid-ish
  • Preferred Pronouns: She/her/hers
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2016, 06:30:08 am »
Quote from: Olivia;184821

Hi - I read the same thing, and I purchased a small-ish cube shaped tealight holder, which I burn a candle in whenever my dust/pet hair allergies are acting up (and usually I've already taken an antihistamine tablet & it's not been effective).  I don't know whether it's just the placebo effect, but I do find it helps ease the symptoms somewhat.  A salt lamp would presumably be larger so theoretically any beneficial effects should be greater, although I'm not sure of the effect of the electricity.  A quick look on Wikipedia just now indicated that there's no evidence for any known health benefits from salt lamps at this time, however (so maybe it is just the placebo effect with me afterall...).

Also, when I purchased my tealight holder it only dawned on me afterwards that I'm not sure of the ethics of purchasing Himalayan salt products, i.e. does the mining(?) of this product damage the environment, are the miners given a fair wage for their work, etc...?

I found this article on e-bay regarding lamp quality, if you still think you're interested in purchasing one: http://www.ebay.co.uk/gds/Himalayan-Salt-Lamps-A-Guide-to-Purchasing-/10000000000725009/g.html.  I've struggled, during a fairly quick search, to find much information about the ethics of salt mining.

Just a few further points on allergies, I found some fairly reliable sounding sources indicating the following can perhaps help:-
~ Vitamin C has a natural antihistamine effect
~ Drinking peppermint tea apparently helps inflamed nasal passages
I'm afraid I failed to make a note of the websites where I found this information (as once I found the info I was looking for I didn't think I'd need it again), but what I do is cross-check with a number of other sites, including at least one or more that I trust and find reliable.

The following tips I have not yet managed to cross-check to find out if they're reliable:-
~ butterbur tablets
~ organic flax seed or hemp seed oil
~ organic Oregano Oil
~ make your own saline nasal spray - teaspoon of salt in pint of warm (distilled) water and add a pinch of baking soda
~ some sites seemed to indicate that taking Echinacea may improve the immune system and be beneficial for allergies, as well as just colds etc

Finally, if you don't already eat a fairly healthy diet, improving your diet will help improve your immune system which should in turn lessen the allergy symptoms somewhat.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2016, 06:31:56 am by Pickle »
“Radiate boundless love towards the entire world — above, below, and across — unhindered, without ill will, without enmity.” – The Buddha
(From the Metta Sutta)

My Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity blog

Olivia

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2016, 03:39:52 pm »
Quote from: Scales;184835
What are you allergic to? If it's dust and stuff (airborne bits in your house), I could see them working (but I don't have experience).

It is just dust and airborn stuff in the house.

Quote from: Pickle;184841
Hi - I read the same thing, and I purchased a small-ish cube shaped tealight holder, which I burn a candle in whenever my dust/pet hair allergies are acting up (and usually I've already taken an antihistamine tablet & it's not been effective).  I don't know whether it's just the placebo effect, but I do find it helps ease the symptoms somewhat.  A salt lamp would presumably be larger so theoretically any beneficial effects should be greater, although I'm not sure of the effect of the electricity.  A quick look on Wikipedia just now indicated that there's no evidence for any known health benefits from salt lamps at this time, however (so maybe it is just the placebo effect with me afterall...).

Also, when I purchased my tealight holder it only dawned on me afterwards that I'm not sure of the ethics of purchasing Himalayan salt products, i.e. does the mining(?) of this product damage the environment, are the miners given a fair wage for their work, etc...?

I found this article on e-bay regarding lamp quality, if you still think you're interested in purchasing one: http://www.ebay.co.uk/gds/Himalayan-Salt-Lamps-A-Guide-to-Purchasing-/10000000000725009/g.html.  I've struggled, during a fairly quick search, to find much information about the ethics of salt mining.

Just a few further points on allergies, I found some fairly reliable sounding sources indicating the following can perhaps help:-
~ Vitamin C has a natural antihistamine effect
~ Drinking peppermint tea apparently helps inflamed nasal passages
I'm afraid I failed to make a note of the websites where I found this information (as once I found the info I was looking for I didn't think I'd need it again), but what I do is cross-check with a number of other sites, including at least one or more that I trust and find reliable.

The following tips I have not yet managed to cross-check to find out if they're reliable:-
~ butterbur tablets
~ organic flax seed or hemp seed oil
~ organic Oregano Oil
~ make your own saline nasal spray - teaspoon of salt in pint of warm (distilled) water and add a pinch of baking soda
~ some sites seemed to indicate that taking Echinacea may improve the immune system and be beneficial for allergies, as well as just colds etc

Finally, if you don't already eat a fairly healthy diet, improving your diet will help improve your immune system which should in turn lessen the allergy symptoms somewhat.

That is a good bit of information and gives me some stuff to think about. Thank you! :)

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2016, 07:44:47 pm »
Quote from: Olivia;184865
It is just dust and airborn stuff in the house.

If you're not already running an air flter, I find that makes a *huge* difference in my allergies. (I run one in my bedroom, which is also where I do computer things, and thus where I spend the vast majority of my time.)

They range in the US from quite cheap to horribly expensive: I currently have a pricier one that doesn't have filters that need changing, but even the pretty inexpensive ones help a lot, they just need a bit more cleaning/filter changing.

Also anything that can reduce the allergen load in your bedding: I have a wool mattress pad (discourages dust mites!), and wash my bedding in very hot water when I wash it: both help with dustmites, and also other allergens. Medium hot or cool water saves energy, but doesn't remove nearly as many allergens.

Storing things in plastic boxes or something else that can be easily cleaned of dust also helps: cardboard tends to hold onto dust and make the allergen load a lot worse.
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

Tags: