Re: moses or mose by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 09:48:58 pm]

moses or mose by Larix
[Yesterday at 08:24:25 pm]

Re: "2001: A Space Odyssey" Becomes Real? by Ashmire
[March 14, 2024, 01:21:17 am]

Re: "2001: A Space Odyssey" Becomes Real? by atr
[March 14, 2024, 01:15:08 am]

Author Topic: Can one worship gods from different pantheons?  (Read 5126 times)

MongolianCow

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
Can one worship gods from different pantheons?
« on: January 07, 2016, 05:20:29 pm »
I was just wondering since Romans(when they were pagan) used to give the Celtic goddess Epona sugar cubes as an offering. So I was just wondering can a person worship gods from different pantheons?

MongolianCow

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
Can one worship gods from different pantheons?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2016, 05:34:07 pm »
I was just wondering since Romans(when they were pagan) used to give the Celtic goddess Epona sugar cubes as an offering. So I was just wondering can a person worship gods from different pantheons?

MongolianCow

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Can one worship gods from different pantheons?
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2016, 05:38:00 pm »
Quote from: MongolianCow;184777

Sorry this came up multiple times I didn't know it did since I couldn't find it again

RecycledBenedict

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2016, 06:03:26 pm »

Pantheons were not static over time. Especially the Hittite and the Roman (later Romano-Greek) ones repeatedly added new deities to their pantheons, although, in some of the Roman cases, there were initial hesitation to do so. The Dionysian mysteries and the worship of Isis were initially persecuted in Rome, but, when we reach the time of Emperor Nero, that hesitation and persecution had waned. By the 4th century festivals of Isis are officially mentioned in the Roman calendar of festivals.

If you read the myth-collector Diodorus Siculus or the philosopher Damascius, all then known deities are accepted, although - especially in Diodorus' case - given Greek names. Diodorus was of the opinion that Isis = Demeter, Osiris = Dionysus, Wadjet = Leto, and Harpocrates = Apollo.

RecycledBenedict

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2016, 07:42:25 pm »

Perhaps it would be helpful if I give you some more detailed examples:

• 204 BCE The Roman Senate decide to include the Phrygian goddess Cybele in the Roman pantheon, under the title Magna Mater, and institute religious horseraces in her honour on 4th of April
  • 191 BCE The Roman Magna Mater festival, Megalenisa, celebrated on 4th - 10th of April from now on. Her temple dedicated.
  • 186 BCE The Roman Senate forbids Bacchanalia (drunken celebrations of Dionysius)
  • 139 BCE Jews and astrologers persecuted in Rome and exiled
  • 88 BCE Isis-priests practicing on Capitolium
  • 64 BCE All worship of non-Roman deities forbidden by Senate
  • 59 BCE Altars on Capitolium dedicated to Isis, Serapis, Harpocrates and Anubis destroyed
  • 58 BCE The Consul of Rome refuses to include Egyptian deities in the Roman pantheon
  • 54 BCE Shrines dedicated to Isis and Serapis destroyed. Worship of Isis forbidden by Senate
  • 53 BCE Isis-devotees persecuted in Rome
  • 50 BCE Isis-devotees persecuted in Rome
  • 48 BCE Isis-devotees persecuted in Rome
  • 33 BCE Astrologers and magicians exiled from Rome
  • 30 BCE Shrines in Rome dedicated to Egyptian deities destroyed
  • 28 BCE No worship of Egyptian deities allowed at all inside Pomerium, but allowed outside Pomerium
  • 19 CE Emperor Tiberius crucify all Isis-priests in Rome, deport 4000 Isis-devotees to Sardinia, and exile the rest of them
  • 38 CE Emperor Caligula dedicate a temple to Isis on Campus Martius. Isis festivals on 1st and 3d of November probably celebrated from now on
  • c. 40 CE Cybele festivals on 16th and 27th of March in Rome from now on
  • c. 50 CE Votive inscriptions dedicated to Zeus Hypsistos on Pnyx in Athens
  • 66 CE A shrine dedicated to Theos Hypsistos in Thessaloniki
  • c. 68 CE The temple of Furrina from now on shared with the Syrian deities Jupiter Heliopolitanus, Venus Caelestis, and Simios
  • 80 CE The Isis-temple on Campus Martius destroyed by fire
  • 92 CE Emperor Domitianus rebuild the Isis-temple on Campus Martius
  • 125 CE Roman troops dedicate an altar to Jupiter Dolichenus
  • c. 145 CE Celebrations of the Phrygian god Attis known in Rome on 15th and 22th of March - 19th of April, and on 5th of May from now on
  • c. 150 CE The Roman festival Pelusia on 20th of March, in honour of the Egyptian deities, known from now on
  • 158 CE Oldest known insciption mentioning Sol Invictus (still unofficial)
  • c. 170 A temple dedicated to Jupiter Dolichenus on the Caelian Hill
  • 175 CE At an unknown point in time before this year, the Isis-festival Lychnapsia is fixed to 12th of August, and Castu Isidis to 28th of October
  • c. 200 A temple dedicated to Isis built on the Caelian Hill in Rome
  • 217 CE Emperor Caracalla permits worship of oriental deities inside Pomerium. A temple dedicated to Isis built on the Quirinal Hill
  • 218 CE Emperor Heliogabalus change the Jupiter-temple on the eastern Palatine Hill into a temple dedicated to El Gabal from Emesa. A minor temple to El Gabal built on the Esquiline Hill.
  • 222 CE Emperor Alexander Severus re-dedicate the temple on the eastern Palatine Hill to Jupiter, but the small temple on the Esquiline remain an El-Gabal-temple.
  • 235 CE Worshippers of Jupiter Dolichenus persecuted by Emperor Maximus Thrax
  • 241 CE Worship of the Anatolian god Sabazius known from Rome (unofficial)
  • c. 260 CE A temple dedicated to Jupiter Dolichenus on the Esquiline Hill
  • 274 CE Emperor Aurelian dedicate a temple to Sol Invictus on 25th of December. A pontifical college responsible for the worship of Sol Invictus instituted.
  • 354 CE The Isis-festival on 5th of March, the Serapis-festival on 25th of April, and the Isis festivals on 29th - 31th of October definitely known from this time, but might be considerably older. A festival dedicated to the Syrian god Marnas might have been held in Rome on 15th of December during the 4th century.
  • 361 CE The last Pontifex Vestae, Symmachus, appointed
  • 367 CE A temple dedicated to Zeus Koryphaios renovated in Touron, Syria
  • 376 CE One of the temples of Isis in Rome renovated

I have scribbled down some notes without dates: Vacuna is mentioned by Varro, and probably imported from the Balkans. Belenus became the protector god of the city of Aquileia in northern Italy, despite his probably Celtic origin. The goddess Hipta in the Orphic hymns is probably a hellenized version of the Hurrite goddess Hebat.

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Skyhold
  • Religion: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/he
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2016, 08:22:19 pm »
So based on the fact that there is historical evidence of a thing being done, you want to know if it can be done? I'm not sure if I'm ready correctly, but yes, it is possible and was common in polytheist cultures to worship whichever gods seemed appropriate and interesting.
Hail Mara, Lady of Good Things!
"The only way to cope with something deadly serious is to try to treat it a little lightly." -Madeleine L'Engle

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; UU; CoX; Etc
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, they, she
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2016, 09:05:41 pm »
Quote from: Jack;184797

A Reminder:
Just a quick note:  Please remember to quote, even if you're just  replying to the first message in the thread.  It makes the discussion  easier to follow, and it's required by  our  rules. (If you're using tapatalk on a phone, please hold your finger down on the message you wish to reply to until the quote function pops up.)

This isn't a formal warning, just a reminder.  No  reply is necessary, but if you have questions or need clarification,  please feel free to contact a member of staff privately.

Thanks!
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

cletus90851

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2016, 10:36:52 pm »
Quote from: MongolianCow;184776

absolutely.  unless you only follow a specific pantheon exclusively then theres no reason you couldn't worship deitys for multiple pantheons.
I'll use Hermes as an example, as He is a God I have known people to ''invite into'' their personal pantheon with good results.  Say you feel a connection to a few Gods from another pantheon (celt norse kemetic, etc) but you also feel you should worship Hermes.  well it depends on your other deitys, but generally you will most likely be able to do so without any issues.  

personally I don't mix and match. I'm pure Hellenic, but I know people who do.

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2016, 09:53:51 am »
Quote from: MongolianCow;184780
Sorry this came up multiple times I didn't know it did since I couldn't find it again

Threads merged.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

MongolianCow

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2016, 02:17:17 am »
Quote from: FraterBenedict;184795
Perhaps it would be helpful if I give you some more detailed examples:

• 204 BCE The Roman Senate decide to include the Phrygian goddess Cybele in the Roman pantheon, under the title Magna Mater, and institute religious horseraces in her honour on 4th of April
  • 191 BCE The Roman Magna Mater festival, Megalenisa, celebrated on 4th - 10th of April from now on. Her temple dedicated.
  • 186 BCE The Roman Senate forbids Bacchanalia (drunken celebrations of Dionysius)
  • 139 BCE Jews and astrologers persecuted in Rome and exiled
  • 88 BCE Isis-priests practicing on Capitolium
  • 64 BCE All worship of non-Roman deities forbidden by Senate
  • 59 BCE Altars on Capitolium dedicated to Isis, Serapis, Harpocrates and Anubis destroyed
  • 58 BCE The Consul of Rome refuses to include Egyptian deities in the Roman pantheon
  • 54 BCE Shrines dedicated to Isis and Serapis destroyed. Worship of Isis forbidden by Senate
  • 53 BCE Isis-devotees persecuted in Rome
  • 50 BCE Isis-devotees persecuted in Rome
  • 48 BCE Isis-devotees persecuted in Rome
  • 33 BCE Astrologers and magicians exiled from Rome
  • 30 BCE Shrines in Rome dedicated to Egyptian deities destroyed
  • 28 BCE No worship of Egyptian deities allowed at all inside Pomerium, but allowed outside Pomerium
  • 19 CE Emperor Tiberius crucify all Isis-priests in Rome, deport 4000 Isis-devotees to Sardinia, and exile the rest of them
  • 38 CE Emperor Caligula dedicate a temple to Isis on Campus Martius. Isis festivals on 1st and 3d of November probably celebrated from now on
  • c. 40 CE Cybele festivals on 16th and 27th of March in Rome from now on
  • c. 50 CE Votive inscriptions dedicated to Zeus Hypsistos on Pnyx in Athens
  • 66 CE A shrine dedicated to Theos Hypsistos in Thessaloniki
  • c. 68 CE The temple of Furrina from now on shared with the Syrian deities Jupiter Heliopolitanus, Venus Caelestis, and Simios
  • 80 CE The Isis-temple on Campus Martius destroyed by fire
  • 92 CE Emperor Domitianus rebuild the Isis-temple on Campus Martius
  • 125 CE Roman troops dedicate an altar to Jupiter Dolichenus
  • c. 145 CE Celebrations of the Phrygian god Attis known in Rome on 15th and 22th of March - 19th of April, and on 5th of May from now on
  • c. 150 CE The Roman festival Pelusia on 20th of March, in honour of the Egyptian deities, known from now on
  • 158 CE Oldest known insciption mentioning Sol Invictus (still unofficial)
  • c. 170 A temple dedicated to Jupiter Dolichenus on the Caelian Hill
  • 175 CE At an unknown point in time before this year, the Isis-festival Lychnapsia is fixed to 12th of August, and Castu Isidis to 28th of October
  • c. 200 A temple dedicated to Isis built on the Caelian Hill in Rome
  • 217 CE Emperor Caracalla permits worship of oriental deities inside Pomerium. A temple dedicated to Isis built on the Quirinal Hill
  • 218 CE Emperor Heliogabalus change the Jupiter-temple on the eastern Palatine Hill into a temple dedicated to El Gabal from Emesa. A minor temple to El Gabal built on the Esquiline Hill.
  • 222 CE Emperor Alexander Severus re-dedicate the temple on the eastern Palatine Hill to Jupiter, but the small temple on the Esquiline remain an El-Gabal-temple.
  • 235 CE Worshippers of Jupiter Dolichenus persecuted by Emperor Maximus Thrax
  • 241 CE Worship of the Anatolian god Sabazius known from Rome (unofficial)
  • c. 260 CE A temple dedicated to Jupiter Dolichenus on the Esquiline Hill
  • 274 CE Emperor Aurelian dedicate a temple to Sol Invictus on 25th of December. A pontifical college responsible for the worship of Sol Invictus instituted.
  • 354 CE The Isis-festival on 5th of March, the Serapis-festival on 25th of April, and the Isis festivals on 29th - 31th of October definitely known from this time, but might be considerably older. A festival dedicated to the Syrian god Marnas might have been held in Rome on 15th of December during the 4th century.
  • 361 CE The last Pontifex Vestae, Symmachus, appointed
  • 367 CE A temple dedicated to Zeus Koryphaios renovated in Touron, Syria
  • 376 CE One of the temples of Isis in Rome renovated

I have scribbled down some notes without dates: Vacuna is mentioned by Varro, and probably imported from the Balkans. Belenus became the protector god of the city of Aquileia in northern Italy, despite his probably Celtic origin. The goddess Hipta in the Orphic hymns is probably a hellenized version of the Hurrite goddess Hebat.

Wow thanks :D

Lana288

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2016, 03:14:17 pm »

Unless you're in a specific tradition or religion that prohibits working with more than one pantheon, yes, you absolutely can. It happens a lot within the modern pagan community (or, at least, in the places I frequent), and it happened fairly often historically, too.

Kylara

• Staff
    • View Profile
    • https://www.patreon.com/kyndryana
  • Religion: Norse Fusion Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2016, 08:21:12 am »

I do, and the majority of the Pagans I know (the ones in my area) do as well.  Many of us have a Pantheon we consider our primary focus, but we have and do work with other gods.
Check out my Patreon for more writing and other goodies!

Fleur

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2016, 04:26:21 pm »
Quote from: cletus90851;184812
absolutely.  unless you only follow a specific pantheon exclusively then theres no reason you couldn't worship deitys for multiple pantheons.
I'll use Hermes as an example, as He is a God I have known people to ''invite into'' their personal pantheon with good results.  Say you feel a connection to a few Gods from another pantheon (celt norse kemetic, etc) but you also feel you should worship Hermes.  well it depends on your other deitys, but generally you will most likely be able to do so without any issues.  

personally I don't mix and match. I'm pure Hellenic, but I know people who do.

Agreed. I primarily follow the Hindu pantheon, but a couple deities from other pantheons have shown interest in me. I'm very aware that I need to educate myself thoroughly on the theology of their pantheon and the rites of their worship before I even consider a devotional relationship with them...not only is that basic respect, but I think's the only way a deity can be worshipped. They must be worshipped within the context of their pantheon and theology, even if you don't formally dedicate yourself to that entire pantheon/theology.

I am holding off on beginning devotions to these interested deities for the time being, because I need to consider whether I can make a commitment to that kind of education. It's like being a full-time Hindu and also being a full-time Kemetic. That's hard.

But mixing and matching gods, which unfortunately Wicca seems to do, isn't right either.

Louisvillian

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Syncretic religio romana/Hellenised Romano-British religion
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2016, 06:20:53 am »

I don't see why not. I won't even put the usual reconstructionist caveat of "as long as you keep them venerated separately". Do whatever you feel is best, for yourself and for the gods you cultivate.

As for me: I worship Roman, Greek, and some Celtic deities, as well as local spirits of the land and home.

Jainarayan

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2016, 10:03:27 am »
... I was just wondering can a person worship gods from different pantheons?

Yes, many Pagans and Heathens do. Many polytheists have multiple pantheons. I am Germanic Heathen (Ásatrúar) and I occasionally recite mantras of the Hindu deities, listen to bhajans (devotional songs) and make small offerings at a Hindu shrine I have. It's a matter of worshiping the different pantheons in the proper context of their cultures. For example, worship Celtic, Hindu, Norse, Yoruba deities per those cultures, keeping them separate. That is, I would not offer alcohol or meat to the Hindu (or Buddhist or Taoist) deities but I do offer alcohol and meat to the Norse deities. Many (most?) polytheists believe their gods are not omnipotent, omniscient or omnipresent. I would think that at times "our own" deities would be happy to have help from deities of other pantheons, and that we would respect those deities.

Tags: