Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Questions from someone outside paganism  (Read 5579 times)

krihm

• View Profile
Questions from someone outside paganism
« on: January 07, 2016, 12:19:32 pm »
Hello, first I'd like to preface these by saying I'm an illustration student, I have been working on a project that has lead to paganism, specifically Hellenistic paganism. After reading about the fall of polytheism, I wanted to make a series of illustrations about it's modern revival. As part of my research, I was hoping to have a few questions answered. I hope it's alright to ask these kind of things!

answers from anyone would be appreciated.

1. What had first led you to paganism?

2. How has being part of pagan faith impacted you?

3. What kind of reaction do monotheists/atheists have toward you, if any?

4. Are your family and/or friends aware your faith?

Thanks in advance for any answers, I appreciate it immensely.

Phouka

• Staff
    • View Profile
Re: Questions from someone outside paganism
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2016, 07:04:29 pm »
Quote from: krihm;184748
Hello, first I'd like to preface these by saying I'm an illustration student, I have been working on a project that has lead to paganism, specifically Hellenistic paganism. After reading about the fall of polytheism, I wanted to make a series of illustrations about it's modern revival. As part of my research, I was hoping to have a few questions answered. I hope it's alright to ask these kind of things!

For me, it was a need to find something not patriarchal.  I'm a seal abuse survivor and wasn't comfortable with the Abraham ic faiths. In college I went to a series of lectures given by Joseph Campbell about how all religions, ancient and modern are similar rather than different.

For many years I was content to be a worshipper & dedicant. But in the last year I have become a 3rd degree HP & co-leader of an eclectic Wiccan coven.

For the most part I have never really had any problems with believers of other faiths, even though I live in the middle of the Bible belt.

My entire family and circle of friends have always been fully aware of my faith. I have never hidden my beliefs from anyone  and  even have a general altar on my front porch.

Hopefully, I have answered adequately,  but if not, please fee free to ask for more details.

Elding

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2016, 07:40:52 pm »

I'm no Hellenistic, but.. I first came in touch with Heathenism through Heavy Metal. (If you have never listened to some good old Viking Metal, give it a shot, there are some awesome bands!) I then realized "hey, this is actually a thing that people are doing", and slowly, through a string of following events over the next year or so, I realized that it was a good fit for me.
It has impacted me in the way that I've adopted certain values.
I don't see the need of telling other people that I am pagan. My father and my sister knows, my sister is okay with it, being religious herself. My father is okay with it too, though he is an atheist so he looks funnily on both of us, I think :l Haven't told my mom, but I think she'd call me crazy ( I think she is atheist, but raised with "Christian values"). My uncle and my grandmother might have guessed, but they're pretty cool people over all.
Out in the woods, and I\'m not alone, but the sun\'s quickly going down!
There! In the trees! Something stalking me! Stop walking around!
\'K, just be cool, don\'t be such a fool! There is nothing at all to fear...
... other than the trees and the night and a beam of light, and the breathing in my ear...
[/I]

krihm

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2016, 09:00:03 pm »
Quote from: Phouka;184788
For me, it was a need to find something not patriarchal.  I'm a seal abuse survivor and wasn't comfortable with the Abraham ic faiths. In college I went to a series of lectures given by Joseph Campbell about how all religions, ancient and modern are similar rather than different.

For many years I was content to be a worshipper & dedicant. But in the last year I have become a 3rd degree HP & co-leader of an eclectic Wiccan coven.

For the most part I have never really had any problems with believers of other faiths, even though I live in the middle of the Bible belt.

My entire family and circle of friends have always been fully aware of my faith. I have never hidden my beliefs from anyone  and  even have a general altar on my front porch.

Hopefully, I have answered adequately,  but if not, please fee free to ask for more details.

Thanks so much for your answers, Phouka.
May I ask if there was any particular reason you wished to get to third degree, or was it natural progression?

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; UU; CoX; Etc
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, they, she
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2016, 09:04:16 pm »

I'd been spiritual-not-religious for several years, and a friend got into the open-source end of Wicca with Cunningham and all.  And that was closer than anything that I'd previously encountered.  (Close enough I kept trying to Procrustean-fit myself into eclectic Wicca in increasingly damaging ways until I stopped doing the stupid thing.)

A little under a decade later, I was investigating Slavic reconstruction and spiritually significant tattoo art and had an experience that tipped me sideways over into Egyptian reconstruction.  A few years after that, I got aimed at Feri.  After that it starts getting complicated.

I'm a much saner, more functional human being than I used to be.

Really it depends on the person.  One of my best friends is an atheist with whom I have a history of discussing religion; he's great about it.

Internets atheists who like to argue religion with Christians tend to treat me as invisible because apparently not buying into their axioms about what a god is means I'm not worthy of arguing with.  Or I'm someone else's problem .

Some people from a monotheistic paradigm are curious, some dont' care, some are baffled, some are assholes.  This is basically the same as anything else in life.

As a note, I don't personally have a lot of faith.  I'm an "I believe in what works" kind of guy.

What level of awareness people have varies a lot.  But I come from a background in which talking about other people's religious stuff is fairly socially risque, so as topics go it's not one that comes up a whole lot in casual interactions.  But the fact is, I am a very religious person, and very active with it, and, you know, a published author on the subject besides, which means it's hard to miss if one actually knows me.
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

krihm

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2016, 09:09:59 pm »
Quote from: Elding;184794
I'm no Hellenistic, but.. I first came in touch with Heathenism through Heavy Metal. (If you have never listened to some good old Viking Metal, give it a shot, there are some awesome bands!) I then realized "hey, this is actually a thing that people are doing", and slowly, through a string of following events over the next year or so, I realized that it was a good fit for me.
It has impacted me in the way that I've adopted certain values.
I don't see the need of telling other people that I am pagan. My father and my sister knows, my sister is okay with it, being religious herself. My father is okay with it too, though he is an atheist so he looks funnily on both of us, I think :l Haven't told my mom, but I think she'd call me crazy ( I think she is atheist, but raised with "Christian values"). My uncle and my grandmother might have guessed, but they're pretty cool people over all.

Thank-you, Elding. I had completely overlooked music as a possible way for someone to find paganism!
I used to be really into tyr. i should have really thought of it.  :ashamed:

krihm

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2016, 09:48:13 pm »
Quote from: Darkhawk;184800
Internets atheists who like to argue religion with Christians tend to treat me as invisible because apparently not buying into their axioms about what a god is means I'm not worthy of arguing with.

Reminds me of an encounter with the open-air mission, while they were talking to me about their beliefs, the gospel, and so on, i listened. when they approached me to comment i told them i disagreed, and they just told me i was wrong, my opinion was irrelevant, etc. it really was the equivalent of an anonymous internet argument.

Quote from: Darkhawk;184800
I'm an "I believe in what works" kind of guy.

in proof rather than reliance, then? i think that's a good way of being. Thank-you for your answers, Darkhawk. it's helped me understand more about the community. I was fairly ignorant of how, while inhabiting the same circles, paganism belief differs so much, it's much more personal than how monotheistic religion feels.

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; UU; CoX; Etc
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, they, she
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2016, 11:02:13 pm »
Quote from: krihm;184805
Reminds me of an encounter with the open-air mission, while they were talking to me about their beliefs, the gospel, and so on, i listened. when they approached me to comment i told them i disagreed, and they just told me i was wrong, my opinion was irrelevant, etc. it really was the equivalent of an anonymous internet argument.

It's actually more often the case that that sort of person refuses to acknowledge I've said anything at all.  It's amazingly like being invisible.  I used to drop detailed theological commentaries into theism vs. atheism debates which were really Christians vs. anti-conservative-evangelical-Christians debates just to watch people divert around them like they never happened.

in proof rather than reliance, then? i think that's a good way of being. Thank-you for your answers, Darkhawk. it's helped me understand more about the community. I was fairly ignorant of how, while inhabiting the same circles, paganism belief differs so much, it's much more personal than how monotheistic religion feels.

You need to keep in mind here that there are dozens of different, theologically unrelated religions that fall under the category "paganism" - some of which are monotheistic, by the way - which means you're not going to get a whole lot of consistency in practice unless you limit yourself to one of those religions.  (And the relevance of belief is a whole different kettle of worms.)
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

Morag

• Senior Staff
  • cranky witch mom
    • View Profile
    • Priestess of the 3
  • Religion: Priestess of the 3
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2016, 03:09:10 am »

I kinda consider myself raised pagan, though we wouldn't have called it that. I spent my childhood going to a yearly solstice festival in our town where there were lanterns, a huge fire dance, and a celebration of the light returning after the shortest night of the year. My aunty gave me oracle readings and taught me how to cleanse auras and heal people. We had depictions of Tara up around the house (mom is Buddhist) and I listened to my kids' tape of the 21 Praises of Tara/Wind Horses until I almost wore it out.

I think it was when I was 9 I got my first book on witchcraft, and one thing led to another, leading me into Wicca and then right back out of it again, finally settling where I am, which is "witch and also polytheist and also these other things". But the foundation was already there, just without a specific word for it.

Actually finally figuring out what kind of faith I want from life has helped me be more functional; I've stopped trying to fit myself into boxes that are not meant for me. Learning that Wicca would never be right for me was a huge relief, and allowed me to find what is right for me. And finding what is right for me has given me stability, a centre, and something to work on, to occupy my brain.

It's a spectrum. Jerks come in all shapes and flavors, including atheist and Abrahamic. I've had really great Christian friends and was once trapped in a circle of Christians who prayed loudly for my soul and laid hands on me in a really frightening fashion, and really great atheist friends (one even became my husband) and an abusive atheist biological sire who once screamed at me for hours because I said "Bless you" to my mom when she sneezed.

That said, the amount of bad experiences I've had with people who are self-proclaimed Christians, atheists, or Wiccans (yup) is higher than with most other groups, so I do tend to be wary as hell around them all, at least in meatspace.

Well, I met my husband at a pagan event run by his mom, who is a witch, and I spent most of high school trying to convince my mom to become a Wiccan with me. My best friend has known me for almost 20 years now, so she's seen -- very nearly -- the entire journey.

Outside my immediate circle, most of my friends are in the pagan community here, or at least well aware of it. Most of them probably aren't aware of the specifics of my faith/s, but they know I'm pagan.

However, I tend to try to stay in the closet as much as possible right now, because we are renting from landlords who are very, very Christian and very, very conservative and I honestly just don't know what the reaction would be. I mean they're nice people, but that niceness could very well disappear if they find out I'm polytheist (or a witch). I just don't know, and it doesn't feel safe, so I try to keep things on the down low as possible so long as we're living here.
Pray drunk. Hex sober.
Priestess of the 3
"The most powerful god at any given moment is the one who can solve the moment's problem."
-Darkhawk

Phouka

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2016, 09:06:20 pm »
Quote from: krihm;184799
Thanks so much for your answers, Phouka.
May I ask if there was any particular reason you wished to get to third degree, or was it natural progression?

OH it wasn't my wish at all! I was perfectly fine with being a dedicant to the Warrior aspectof the Goddess. The day of my dedication I was told by Macha that not only was I supposed to be Her priest  (not Priestess), but would eventually become a teacher and leader of a coven.  I dragged my heels for 15 years,  but never stopped learning. Nine years ago I moved to SC and met my teacher who is the HP of  Cats Lair Temple and Seminary. He's the one  who has been dragging me towards becoming a  3rd  degree HPS .

I finally consecrated myself to Macha as Her priest about 2 years ago and was raised to HPS and surprisingly became THE HPS of the coven as the previous HPS retired the night I was raised, which was this past Samhain.

So it was partly a natural progression with a lot of kicking and screaming.

Phouka

Olivia

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2016, 09:27:05 pm »

1.  I've always been around Paganism. My mother is a Christian but she owns a New Age shop and she encouraged my siblings and I explore different faiths from a young age. It wasn't until college that I realized that I felt a really strong connection to the things I've read about.

2. It has made  me feel more at peace with myself and I'm in general a happier person.

3. The typical reaction I've encountered is curiosity. Its very rare that someone has been hostile or mean about it to me.

4. Yes they are and they are mainly supportive.

Hearth Keeper

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • http://witchfire02.blogspot.com/
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2016, 02:22:53 pm »

1)  Well, when I was a kid, I was heavily into fantasy and mythology, I remember reading about Pagans (back before the age of internet), and wishing that they were still around.  Then one day, Hestia revealed Herself to me, and helped to lead me to my faith.  She's been with me every since, guiding me.  

2)  Everything just made sense.  With Christianity, much of what I was experiencing, especially with Spirits and Deity encounters, I was told was a lie.  It was imagination, and that I needed to stop talking about it.  Stop questioning.  But with Paganism, it was accepted, embrace in some circles.  It made sense to what I was experiencing daily. Paganism has helped me blossom, heal, and understand myself and the world.  Plus, my Deities and the Spirits encouraged critical thought.  I don't know who I'd be if I didn't walk this path.  Perhaps I would've found it eventually, anyway. *shrugs*  I honestly think I might be dead if it weren't for Hestia.

3)  It's mixed, but most of the time it's not directed solely at me--the negativity--but a general dislike/mockery.  The ones I don't know don't really matter.  The ones that I do know aren't a**holes about it, at least not to my face.  Honestly, I don't need their acceptance or validation.  If they're interested, I'll share.  If they're dbags, I'll ignore them.  Overall, I've face more negativity from other Pagans and Practitioners than from the Abrahamic faiths and Atheists.  Although my mom just thinks it's weird and is worried about what the neighbors will think, it's nothing to do with a clash of faiths, just a shallow worry of hers.  Wanting to fit in with the Jonses and all that.  

4)  Yes, I don't feel a need to hide everything, nor do I reveal everything.   I definitely don't feel a need to shove it in people's faces.  But it's all over my home, and typed in that little beliefs option on Facebook.  I post Pagan/Witch things once in a while, too.  If they don't know, they're not paying attention. ;-)
~)O(~

RecycledBenedict

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2016, 03:17:06 pm »

I don't know. Since I live in Europe, all four of Europe's historical roots - Graeco-Roman, Celto-Germano-Slavic, Abrahamitic, and Enlightenment - are always present simultaneously around me. The courts of justice use Justitia's scales in heraldry, associations for trade and business use the caduceus of Mercurius, the chemist's use the staff of Aesculapius. In school we study Greek mythology, Norse mythology and Plato (Cicero less so, nowadays. It was different in the past.).

Not any differently than any other faith would have impacted me, I guess. I believe that The Absolute in itself is ineffable, but, since we humans are limited, we need some sort of symbolic paradigm in order to relate to The Absolute. I tried to practice Lutheranism in the past, and for a while I practiced Buddhism more than I do today, but Paganism is the dominant aspect of my religious practices today, supplemented with a few aspects of nonsectarian Mahayana Buddhism and heterodox Christianity.

No reaction at all.

My friends, who happens to be Lutherans, Agnostics, Roman Catholics, Pagans, Moslems and Buddhists, are aware of my faith - if faith is the best word for it. Adherence is probably better.

My parents, who are Agnostics and nonpracticing members of Church of Sweden, are not aware of my faith. They are not particularly interested in existential issues, but I have to tell them sooner or later, in case I would die before they do. I want to have my four funeral rites performed in accordance to my wishes.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 03:18:05 pm by RecycledBenedict »

MeadowRae

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Pantheist Pagan Witch with Celtic Leanings
  • Preferred Pronouns: They/He/She
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2016, 09:37:36 pm »

1) Going back to church, believe it or not. I found the Spirit there, but felt there was something more for me. Nothing really fit, and after a few years of searching I was researching Pantheism and really resonating with it. One of my coworkers at the time was Asatru, which led me to research different types of Paganism. This past Samhain I decided to dedicate myself to a year of study to figure out what I believe and how to form a practice.

2) It has been a very short time, but it has made me feel more free to explore spirituality rather than concepts within a framework. I feel that I am more intuitive and I rely on my inner strength through Spirit more than I ever have. My life, both physical and mental, has definitely improved.

3) I am not out of the broom closet by any stretch, so I am not sure. I am also not a hard polytheist, so I can relate to some aspects of monotheism still. The few atheist/Christian people I have told are more puzzled than anything. I think they feel that pagan Faiths are fluffy or silly compared to their own, and they don't see me as that type of person.  My husband wanted to know a concrete version of what I believed and that it wasn't evil, but he didn't get all judge mental about it. He said he always knew I had it in me, lol. On the flip side, I feel like I have met more pagan people in the past year than I ever have; it's like we find each other and neither of us have to confirm out loud that we feel the same way about things. It's a pretty cool phenomenon. :)  

4) My husband knows, and a few of our friends (maybe.) I probably won't tell my family. I feel like it would be more stress for them than anything. I am debating on whether to tell my best friend or not. I love her, but she would be very much concerned for my afterlife, and I don't want to put that on her. She knows that my ideas are different than hers, so I may leave it at that.
The genderqueer witch your mother warned you about

Kylara

• Staff
    • View Profile
    • https://www.patreon.com/kyndryana
  • Religion: Norse Fusion Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2016, 11:06:29 am »

1)  I am a great lover of books, and often make what I call a library circuit...I will go into my local library and start at one end and walk through the isles looking at whatever catches my eye.  At the time, I was in high school, and found a book called "The Power of Magic", which I checked out and was hooked.  It not only described many approaches to magic/witchcraft, but made the claim that there were many practicing groups and they often put advertisements in the paper.  I didn't find this to be true, but I did end up finding a small Pagan store, and then just jumped in with both feet.

2)  I have been pagan now for 22 years....longer than I was not Pagan, so more or less I have been Pagan for my entire adult life plus most of high school.  I know it effects the way I view the world.  I often find myself catching references or similarities to different deities or legends/lore/mythology.  I also am very interested in other people's faith, so I have noticed a lot of things that people don't seem to realize are very similar, just described in different words.  I also feel like I have a lot of control of parts of my life.  I have tools with which to explore my inner being as well as work towards creating changes in my life that I want.

3)  My husband (and son) are Atheist, and while they don't always understand everything that I do or why I do it, we do get along just fine.  Outside of them, I haven't had any overwhelmingly bad experiences with either.  I have Christian and Atheist friends both, some of whom know what path I walk, some of whom don't.  I'm not technically 'in the closet', I don't go out of my way to hide what I believe, but if I am just meeting someone I may use sort of generic terms.  I often wear tee-shirts that have witch related sayings on them (Halloween shirts that I don't just wear at Halloween), and I have a variety of Pentacles and other jewelry like that which I wear everyday.

4)  My Parents know what I believe, though they may or may not think that I still believe.  They found some of my things while I was in college, and we had the talk, but since then we really haven't talked about it.  They don't send me anything that points either way (they are Christian, but more low key about their faith).  I don't think my In-laws know, but they do know that I meditate, read Tarot and they have made comments before about how I know about herbal medicine (which is sort of amusing because that's not really my thing).  I have a lot of Pagan friends (who obviously know), but I also have friends who I haven't specifically told.  I am pretty open though, so I will talk about what I think or believe or things that I have learned with just about anyone.
Check out my Patreon for more writing and other goodies!

Tags: