collapse

Author Topic: I think I've offended the deities - what should I do now?  (Read 1420 times)

mena_28

• View Profile
I think I've offended the deities - what should I do now?
« on: January 06, 2016, 05:58:02 pm »
Hello!

As I've mentioned in the title, I think I've offended the Egyptian deities I've been working with lately, namely Ma'at and Djehuty, through my intentions, thought and especially actions. In the past two months I've constantly had bad luck and unfortunate events have been happening to me, and I have a strong feeling that this is all my fault. I allowed my ego and negativity to get in the way of my practice, gradually damaging my connection with the deities. I am well aware of the fact that I've brought this all upon myself by conscientiously making the wrong decisions, one by one, and I've accepted the consequences.

I've started working on my issues and I'm going to try very hard to aviod making the same mistakes again, but my question is what can I do in order to reconnect with the deities and to receive their forgiveness? I still consider myself a beginner regarding Paganism, so I'd really like to read some of your ideas or methods. Thank you :) !

Littlewolf

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: I think I've offended the deities - what should I do now?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2016, 12:10:01 pm »
Quote from: mena_28;184665

I've started working on my issues and I'm going to try very hard to aviod making the same mistakes again, but my question is what can I do in order to reconnect with the deities and to receive their forgiveness? I still consider myself a beginner regarding Paganism, so I'd really like to read some of your ideas or methods. Thank you :) !

Hello,
If i may ask, is this a punishing religion? Are you sure they are punishing you instead of sending you a message to change your ways, or that the disconnect happened on your end a result of your problems?

If it is any of these scenarios then you are doing the right thing by changing yourself; if you were greedy then make a donation, if you were selfish then volunteer to help the less fortunate, if you were unkind and feel guilty for hurting someone then apologize to them rather than to your gods. You can also make offerings to your deities of their favorite things, not only will this show love and devotion it will attract them back to you.

Know that you are not alone, 2015 has been a very difficult year for many people including myself, now is an excellent time for reflextion and renewal. I hope i was able to help.

mena_28

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2016, 04:15:29 pm »
Quote from: Littlewolf;184747
Hello,
If i may ask, is this a punishing religion? Are you sure they are punishing you instead of sending you a message to change your ways, or that the disconnect happened on your end a result of your problems?

If it is any of these scenarios then you are doing the right thing by changing yourself; if you were greedy then make a donation, if you were selfish then volunteer to help the less fortunate, if you were unkind and feel guilty for hurting someone then apologize to them rather than to your gods. You can also make offerings to your deities of their favorite things, not only will this show love and devotion it will attract them back to you.

Know that you are not alone, 2015 has been a very difficult year for many people including myself, now is an excellent time for reflextion and renewal. I hope i was able to help.

No, it's not a punishing religion, or at least I don't view it this way, and I know that what I may perceive as a "punishment" is, in fact, the price I have to pay for my negative actions, and also a series of lessons I need to learn. To put it in other words, yes, I agree that they are sending me a message in order to determine me to change myself and my current ways. Moreover, I've noticed that these lessons have been brought to my awareness for years, and I've always been unable to change because I didn't think of my issues as a real problem with an actual impact on my spirituality and life in general. Now that I realized I had been living contrary to my core beliefs, I am very eager to finally change and not give up in the middle of the process this time.

I have been dishonest and I have been lying to everyone for more than seven years, so I've been practically living a lie that I designed myself for no real purpose. It was only a few weeks ago that I realized how much my lies have impacted those around me and how incredibly difficult it would be for me to come clean all of a sudden and to stop deceiving people I care about. But I know that it needs to be do right away in order to reestablish the balance and for me to heal. I am certainly going to come clean and apologize to those I've wronged, and also to take into account your suggesstion and make some offerings, hoping to reconnect with them.

Thank you very much - your response and perspective really helped me, and I can say that 2015 was certainly not a good year for me, either. Hopefully 2016 will bring better things :) !

HarpingHawke

• Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: shapeshifting, witchery, polytheism. under endless construction.
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2016, 04:45:01 pm »
Quote from: mena_28;184665
Hello!

Just from a really dry, skeptical POV, maybe this isn't the gods but the consequences of your actions?

I've had something similar happen to me, and the only way I worked through it was to, well, work. I worked hard to make things right in the physical, and when I felt I was ready, I began making offerings and trying to reestablish contact. "Mundane" work is often the best work to do for reparations. Anyone can *say* they're sorry and pray til their knees bleed, but the work that means the most is physical.

2016 is a new year. All the best to you!
"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." - Hemingway

Tags: