collapse

* Recent Posts

Author Topic: using incense in and out of ritual  (Read 5099 times)

addy

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
using incense in and out of ritual
« on: September 11, 2011, 02:26:46 pm »
Hello guys :) how much do you guys use incense? do you use to very little or alot? (or just in ritual) I hear it can cause cancer, what are your views on this. (then again any type of smoke can cause cancer) blessed be :)

KittyVel

• Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: using incense in and out of ritual
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2011, 11:38:54 pm »
Quote from: addy;19107
Hello guys :) how much do you guys use incense? do you use to very little or alot? (or just in ritual) I hear it can cause cancer, what are your views on this. (then again any type of smoke can cause cancer) blessed be :)

I use incense/oils every day as a daily cleansing of my home.  Before I did any sort of cleansing, I used it daily simply because I enjoyed the scent.  My mother very much enjoys my new Amber oil and burner and has asked me to light it every day.  Little does she know what I'm praying in my head as I'm lighting the tealight candle!  X3
<3 Rest in peace, Christiana. I love you so much, and I miss you like crazy already. At least you\'re not hurting anymore...May you ascend. <3

Livia Indica

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2011, 11:44:14 am »

I've never heard anything about incense causing cancer; I'd think you'd have to be trying really hard to suck it in to hurt yourself. That said, there are some kinds of incense that bother certain people. Many people can't stand Nag Champa, it makes some people nauseous and disoriented. And the same goes for some of the stronger or sweeter incenses out there.

Personally, I use incense all the time. For magic work, for relaxation and just to sweeten and cleanse the air. I'm curious as to why you'd ask about it in the first place, it's just a commonplace really.

hufflee

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2011, 01:52:25 pm »

I use incense a lot. When I'm meditating, for ritual, for non-ritual magic, if I'm stressed out. I always use the same one too. It's a helpful tool to put my state of mind where I want it to be.

If I'm doing a ritual that would be boosted by a different incense, I start with my normal, and then switch off when it's time. I try to make sure to use one that isn't too incompatible with Sandalwood though, because if you're not careful mixing the wrong two smells can give you a headache. I found out the hard way that its smart to test the two beforehand. :D:
When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change - Unknown
"This [the Irish] is one race of people for whom psychoanalysis is of no use whatsoever."
Sigmund Freud (My Irish heart is laughing)

mairead

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2011, 03:51:12 pm »

I love incense, but it can bother my allergies -- scented stuff can have that effect on me. For awhile there was a store near me that sold the Japanese incense brand Morning Star (I think it was called Morning Star anyway, it was a while ago), and I never had any trouble with it and use to burn it on a near daily basis. Unfortunately the store is gone and so is my supply.

I recently ordered some cone incense off the net. I was dubious about it, since it was very very strong when I opened the package. However, I burned one the other day and didn't have too much trouble. By the time it started bothering me it had burned down. However, it's not something I would do more than once a week.

So the short answer would be I like to burn incense as an offering, but how often I do it depends on how much the stuff I have on hand aggravates my allergies.

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2011, 06:44:36 pm »

There's a thread on another forum I read which talked about some of the health issues - the person who started it collected a good range of links about the possible issues.

She does know people who have health issues that are pretty clearly connected to incense use (though in those cases, it's longterm extremely heavy use - as she describes it, people who have it lit all day, every day. Houses I could not spend time in, myself.)

I have asthma, and some residual lung scarring from bacterial pneumonia when I was in my early teens - this means I am careful about what I do with my lungs, because they really don't need any more to struggle with.

So, I use incense relatively lightly (a couple of times a month, generally solely in ritual), in moderation (a stick or less, over the course of the ritual) and made from the best ingredients I can afford (in particular, I avoid most commercial wood cores, and look for things scented with essential oils or the actual plant ingredients, not fragrance oils.) If I'd like scent in a more general sense, I use an oil burner or a wax-tart warmer (again, favoring natural ingredients.)

And I always have an air filter running at home, anyway, so incense doesn't linger for hours and hours in the air anyway.

That said, the times I use incense in ritual are really potent for me, and I take the steps I do so that I can use it in ritual without my lungs throwing complete fits, because using it matters to me a lot (even without the tradition uses). So it was worth figuring out a way I could use it that felt appropriate (and healthy) to me.
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

LeaLynne

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2011, 12:05:20 am »

I burn it a lot but not every day...both for rituals and because I love the scents...my dad and I both enjoy sandalwood (helps us sleep) and sage (helps keep us both awake and focused) and I love dragons blood...

Castus

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Happy Science
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2011, 12:20:23 am »

Hi :)

I use incense as an offering in my daily rituals; and that's about it. I use Nag Champa since it's cheap and I adore the smell; and in very small amounts. I light it for the time it takes me to praise and greet the Gods and spirits; and then extinguish it in the Gutus for the dual purpose of putting it out and profaning the libation to I can offer a new one.
“Castus, meanwhile, goes straight for the bad theology like one of those creepy fish that swims up streams of pee.” — Darkhawk

“Believing in the Lord means you are connected to me no matter when you are poor, sick, or struggling in a relationship. I am always with you. I want you to believe that. The future is uncertain, and much suffering awaits. However, the mission of the believer is to live life doing their best, no matter what the circumstances.” — Ryuho Okawa

Firaza

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2011, 12:33:59 am »

I always use incense in ritual, and I sometimes burn it when whim strikes me, as well. I haven't had a reason to use it for cleansing yet, but I imagine I will, especially after my family moves to our new house.

Nyktelios

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2011, 10:19:46 am »

I use it regularly as an offering to the gods, and I'll burn sage or frankincense once in a while around the house for purification purposes.

sephira

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2011, 06:12:23 pm »

I use incense for everything!! I use it to meditate-when I can. I use it just to chill, to pray, for spells, as an offering, whatever I can think of. And I have a ton of it in all different scents. I use it in my living room even--I have stinky animals! Incense is awesome, but it's not like I stand over the smoke and inhale!
"If it ain\'t fun, it ain\'t worth doing!"

AthenaiiseSofia

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
    • http://finnblack.blogspot.com/
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2011, 05:00:47 pm »

I used to burn Nag Champa all the time because I absolutely adore the scent. But now, I only use it for rituals, and even then, scarcely. I generally use it in healing rituals or as offerings. Although I don't mind using it in the house, I like it better outside, because the scent can drift off, without bothering housemates. =)
"Go then and make of the world something beautiful, set up a light in the darkness." - from Awakening Osiris by Normandi Ellis

Miss

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2011, 05:36:11 pm »
Quote from: sephira;24546
I use incense for everything!! I use it to meditate-when I can. I use it just to chill, to pray, for spells, as an offering, whatever I can think of. And I have a ton of it in all different scents. I use it in my living room even--I have stinky animals! Incense is awesome, but it's not like I stand over the smoke and inhale!

I've been wanting ideas as to what scents people love most during meditation =)

Do people use mostly calming ones such as lavender for this purpose, or just their favorite smells?

sephira

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2011, 08:19:43 pm »
Quote from: Miss;24611
I've been wanting ideas as to what scents people love most during meditation =)

Do people use mostly calming ones such as lavender for this purpose, or just their favorite smells?

It all depends what mood I am in that day or what I think can help get me in a meditative state. My favorite is louts blossom though.
"If it ain\'t fun, it ain\'t worth doing!"

Zeno

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2011, 10:40:41 pm »

Technically anything besides oxygen getting into your lungs is so bad, so a incense shouldn't hurt you that much compared to the very air you breath.

Anyway I use it both in everyday life and in ritual. It just smells nice, and can really set the mood for any occasion, parties, small get together, dates, etc. In ritual it makes an excellent offering to the Gods (certain gods like certain scented ones), helps set the ritual "mood", and it's good for meditation and general magick studies.

Tags: