Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Connection to Spirits?  (Read 3021 times)

SirMathias007

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
Connection to Spirits?
« on: January 03, 2016, 02:08:26 am »
So I'm learning how spiritual pagans are, which is great because I've always been a spiritual person.  I'm not sure exactly what each type of pagan religion believes about those who have passed away, but I do believe in spirits.  Most people call them "Ghost" but I find that term unfitting.  

Ever since I was young I would talk to people who were dead.  Now I never saw a spirit, but I would still talk to them.  Anytime I would be in a graveyard I would always talk to the graves.  I did not even know any of them, but I felt like in some ways they could hear me.  

There was one day when I was in high school that we took a field trip to an old house that was used as a hospital during the American Civil War, beside the house was a graveyard for Confederate soldiers.  (The owner of the house actually took the time to bury the soldiers who had died on the battlefield and recorded each name.)  

Oddly enough the class ate lunch in the grave yard.  Me not being the most popular kid I went and ate by myself next to a larger gravestone.  I did my usual thing and talked to the man that was buried there.  After I ate and it was time to move on, I stood up, looked at the grave and asked him a question. "If you can hear me and have been listening to me, could you show me some kind of sign?"  This was me questioning the fact that I talked to dead people, did I just sit there and talk to myself all lunch?  I asked for some kind of proof I wasn't crazy.  After I had asked the question the wind blew really hard, harder than it had all day.

Now this could have been just a coincidence, but at the time it did not feel like one.  That gust of wind felt like a response.  This event became a large part of my life.  I began to talk to this man a lot more.  I considered him some sort of friend/guide.  Any time I was having difficulty in life I would feel the wind blow.  Now I know the wind blows all the time and is a common thing, but again it was like a hard gust, one that is very noticeable.  It was like he was saying "It's fine, I got your back."  Letting me know he was there.

After a few years around the time I got out of high school this thing faded a bit.  He was not on my mind as much and I quit talking to him.  Yet even now from time to time I'll feel an odd gust of wind that will snap me out of my thoughts and I'll think of him.  After reading about Spirits and guides in other parts of the forum this makes me wonder if I have some kind of connection to spirits of deceased humans.  That may be why I feel like I can talk to them, like they can hear me, and why I had such a strong feeling toward this solider.  I'm just curious about how some of you pagans may see this?  Do you think it's a real thing?  Does your pagan religion believe in this kind of thing?  The Christians I'm surrounded by usual think, "That's a cool story, maybe it was a ghost."  They don't understand the spiritual aspect of it.

Emma Eldritch

• Staff
    • View Profile
    • https://rocknrollwitch.blogspot.ca/
Re: Connection to Spirits?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2016, 05:08:24 am »
Quote from: SirMathias007;184378
So I'm learning how spiritual pagans are, which is great because I've always been a spiritual person.  I'm not sure exactly what each type of pagan religion believes about those who have passed away, but I do believe in spirits.  Most people call them "Ghost" but I find that term unfitting.  

Ever since I was young I would talk to people who were dead.  Now I never saw a spirit, but I would still talk to them.  Anytime I would be in a graveyard I would always talk to the graves.  I did not even know any of them, but I felt like in some ways they could hear me.  

There was one day when I was in high school that we took a field trip to an old house that was used as a hospital during the American Civil War, beside the house was a graveyard for Confederate soldiers.  (The owner of the house actually took the time to bury the soldiers who had died on the battlefield and recorded each name.)  

Oddly enough the class ate lunch in the grave yard.  Me not being the most popular kid I went and ate by myself next to a larger gravestone.  I did my usual thing and talked to the man that was buried there.  After I ate and it was time to move on, I stood up, looked at the grave and asked him a question. "If you can hear me and have been listening to me, could you show me some kind of sign?"  This was me questioning the fact that I talked to dead people, did I just sit there and talk to myself all lunch?  I asked for some kind of proof I wasn't crazy.  After I had asked the question the wind blew really hard, harder than it had all day.

Now this could have been just a coincidence, but at the time it did not feel like one.  That gust of wind felt like a response.  This event became a large part of my life.  I began to talk to this man a lot more.  I considered him some sort of friend/guide.  Any time I was having difficulty in life I would feel the wind blow.  Now I know the wind blows all the time and is a common thing, but again it was like a hard gust, one that is very noticeable.  It was like he was saying "It's fine, I got your back."  Letting me know he was there.

After a few years around the time I got out of high school this thing faded a bit.  He was not on my mind as much and I quit talking to him.  Yet even now from time to time I'll feel an odd gust of wind that will snap me out of my thoughts and I'll think of him.  After reading about Spirits and guides in other parts of the forum this makes me wonder if I have some kind of connection to spirits of deceased humans.  That may be why I feel like I can talk to them, like they can hear me, and why I had such a strong feeling toward this solider.  I'm just curious about how some of you pagans may see this?  Do you think it's a real thing?  Does your pagan religion believe in this kind of thing?  The Christians I'm surrounded by usual think, "That's a cool story, maybe it was a ghost."  They don't understand the spiritual aspect of it.

So goth, dude.

Anyway, I think you'll find a lot of pagans do believe that the spirits of the dead are around us an awful lot. Ancestor veneration and worship is pretty common, and there are plenty of folks who traffic in mild necromancy. In short - this is not a particularly weird thing, no.

I personally believe that the dead can be almost annoyingly present. Some of them do seem to want to communicate, and some seem to want to be helpful to the living. (Others are dickheads even in death, but what are you gonna do?)

MeadowRae

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Pantheist Pagan Witch with Celtic Leanings
  • Preferred Pronouns: They/He/She
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2016, 05:56:15 pm »

After reading about Spirits and guides in other parts of the forum this makes me wonder if I have some kind of connection to spirits of deceased humans.  That may be why I feel like I can talk to them, like they can hear me, and why I had such a strong feeling toward this solider.  I'm just curious about how some of you pagans may see this?  Do you think it's a real thing?  Does your pagan religion believe in this kind of thing?  The Christians I'm surrounded by usual think, "That's a cool story, maybe it was a ghost."  They don't understand the spiritual aspect of it.

I have had these types of experiences, too, tho I am not sure what to call them yet. I believe in a form of reincarnation and an afterlife, so the spirits of the dead are a grey area for me. That being said, I do believe the experiences I have had are real, and I also have an affinity for graveyards. It used to scare me as a child, but I have found a measure of peace with death and the dead in my spiritual path.
The genderqueer witch your mother warned you about

Lumpino

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2016, 09:17:30 am »
Quote from: ViolaRae;184604
I have had these types of experiences, too, tho I am not sure what to call them yet. I believe in a form of reincarnation and an afterlife, so the spirits of the dead are a grey area for me. That being said, I do believe the experiences I have had are real, and I also have an affinity for graveyards. It used to scare me as a child, but I have found a measure of peace with death and the dead in my spiritual path.

Reincarnation is a term from eastern religions so interesting is Bardo thedol for example. According easten religions there are many paths in next life. There may be reincarnation between gods, demons, humans, animals, hungry ghosts (pretas) or in Hell. But also, the soul does not need to incarnate and may remain on as a ghost in bardo.

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2016, 01:02:09 am »
Quote from: Lumpino;186136
Reincarnation is a term from eastern religions....

The term definitely isn't, since it has Latin roots.  The concept isn't necessarily, either; it exists or existed in other contexts as well.

According easten religions....

'Eastern religions' aren't a monolith; there are extremely few things that all or even most of them have sufficiently in common that it can be treated as uniform - even when a concept has spread among the many religions and cultures, it doesn't necessarily mean the same thing in all of them . It's generally better to specify which religion(s) one is referring to, doing a bit of research to find out if you don't already know - f'ex, it didn't take me long to identify 'bardo' as a Buddhist term.

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Lumpino

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2016, 01:07:57 am »
Quote from: SunflowerP;186203

'Eastern religions' aren't a monolith; ......................
Sunflower

Yes, Eastern religions are different. But interesting is the basis teachings about reincarnation. Try compare this buddhists teaching with for example kashmiri shivaists philosophy (see for example Ocean of stories by Somadeva). Or some translantions original Eastern texs about Yoga. Like for example  Shiva samhita.

Daughterofal-Uzza

• Jr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2016, 09:31:16 pm »

You are not alone. I have actually seen spirits as a child numerous times, which was really terrifying. I never understood what it was. As an ethnic Arab  I was told "oh its just Jinn" (spiritual beings). I recently came to the realization that consciousness never dies, since its part of the universe; it always exists and attempted to contact a dear family member and friend. One night, I woke up and could not fall asleep, and that specific person popped in my head. I started talking to him in my head telling him I miss him, does he hear me? Does he know I'm thinking about him and please, I would want a sign. Well, the next morning I got a direct sign. a friend who I haven't spoken with in months had sent me his pictures with the message, "I thought you would appreciate these" The pictures of him acting funny and in a karate pose! I sobbed, happy tears!

This post is dedicated to him! :)
« Last Edit: October 23, 2016, 09:33:31 pm by Daughterofal-Uzza »

lunarwxtch

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2016, 08:01:11 am »
I'm just curious about how some of you pagans may see this?  Do you think it's a real thing?  Does your pagan religion believe in this kind of thing?

Personally, I believe in spirits. That we have an immortal essence of ourselves that embodies our desires and passions and drives and essentially our personality. I believe that there are two realms: the material and the spiritual. That while we are 'alive', we occupy both but after we die, we remain in the spiritual realm. So I don't know about spirits interacting with the world around us but that's probably because it's not something I've ever experienced. I wouldn't disregard it entirely.

Tags: