collapse

* Recent Posts

Author Topic: Wishcraft  (Read 1267 times)

LunaStar

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Wishcraft
« on: December 25, 2015, 08:50:40 pm »
I'm researching Wishcraft and having a hard time finding resources on this topic.  Exploring this path on my own is quite rewarding, as is writing my own philosophy about it...still I would like to find more information about it.  Does anyone here have experience with Wishcraft or know of relevant books/sites/etc?

Faemon

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: Wishcraft
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2015, 12:09:55 am »
Quote from: LunaStar;184036
I'm researching Wishcraft and having a hard time finding resources on this topic.  Exploring this path on my own is quite rewarding, as is writing my own philosophy about it...still I would like to find more information about it.  Does anyone here have experience with Wishcraft or know of relevant books/sites/etc?

My first book about it was White Horses and Shooting Stars by David Greer.

The way I use the word Wishcraft, it's basically a mash of wish superstitions (blowing out the candles on a birthday cake, is probably the best-known one; holding your breath in a tunnel, observing shooting stars or unusually bright stars or the first star to become visible, something about eyelashes...) and ritual thaumatergy or witchcraft.

My idea about it is that there's a commonality between wishing and witching: the person doing the thing usually wants to initiate a change in the world they live in, the statement of intention can be enacted in such a way as to accomplish the intention, and...the rest is a bit vague on purpose. Because really, what would the stars care about some earthbound organism's personal life? What is it that really happens between wishing and (dun, dun, duuunnnnn) the wish coming true? That's the open question. Is it a subconscious instinct to seek patterns, is the enacted wish just an overflow of express motivation, or is it a cultural semiotic thingummy, or are there invisible people who interfere with us corporeal people's lives, or...
The Codex of Poesy: wishcraft, faelatry, alchemy, and other slight misspellings.
the Otherfaith: Chromatic Genderbending Faery Monarchs of Technology. DeviantArt

LunaStar

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2016, 04:27:57 pm »
Quote from: Faemon;184043

My idea about it is that there's a commonality between wishing and witching

I feel that wishcraft is a bit like a whimsical aspect of or approach to witchcraft. The concept that I'm struggling with at the moment is that in certain schools of thought one must approach a wish during spellwork as something that will happen or has already happened, and that wishing in spellwork would result in continual wishing.  A solution could be to declare one's wishes as reality during wishcraft spellwork, but I am also very attracted to the belief that one's heart's deepest wishes will come true by wishing.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 04:29:21 pm by LunaStar »

Faemon

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2016, 04:39:42 am »
Quote from: LunaStar;184319
The concept that I'm struggling with at the moment is that in certain schools of thought one must approach a wish during spellwork as something that will happen or has already happened, and that wishing in spellwork would result in continual wishing.  A solution could be to declare one's wishes as reality during wishcraft spellwork, but I am also very attracted to the belief that one's heart's deepest wishes will come true by wishing.

The problem I have with getting in the mindset that what you wish is already true I think ignores that it's a process in the world as much as in ritual space or in mind. It's also to easy to say then that if it doesn't happen, it's because you're doing it wrong, rather than the method itself isn't the ticket.
The Codex of Poesy: wishcraft, faelatry, alchemy, and other slight misspellings.
the Otherfaith: Chromatic Genderbending Faery Monarchs of Technology. DeviantArt

LunaStar

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2016, 12:33:59 pm »
Quote from: Faemon;184384
The problem I have with getting in the mindset that what you wish is already true I think ignores that it's a process in the world as much as in ritual space or in mind. It's also to easy to say then that if it doesn't happen, it's because you're doing it wrong, rather than the method itself isn't the ticket.

I can see that, and also the paradox that if the wish were already true then there wouldn't be a need to wish for it in a way.  I've tried both methods in spellwork and honestly can't say which one is more effective but so far both have worked.  I suppose there is also the element of the wish generally being the underlying force even when stating rather than wishing.

I'm also curious about the aspect of wishcraft that flows on spontaneous magic or ritual that was created by something or someone other than ourselves.  Like the birthday candle, which is generally arranged by someone else and powered by love.  Or the naturally and randomly occurring shooting star.  

As far as what force makes the magic happen, I think we all have a very personal philosophy behind that.  

Last night, I performed wishcraft spellwork in a dream.  Or I had a magically whimsical dream.  But I remember waking up in the middle of the night after wishing for something while asleep, doing something witchy in the dream, then waking up and feeling so something magical...and something had changed.  As I was falling back asleep, I remember thinking about the possibility of the event being dream wishcraft.

Faemon

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2016, 09:31:10 am »
Quote from: LunaStar;184464
Last night, I performed wishcraft spellwork in a dream.  Or I had a magically whimsical dream.

Hey, that's neato! I've been mulling over the effect of cultural constructs as a go-between the personal perspective and the effects on society, so for the significance of shooting stars and candles on a birthday cake that's too much to unpack when the point is just to do a thing to make it happen. Sometimes, I think, things we learn in dreams cuts right through all that, even if we don't remember, and when we do remember then as I said that's neat.

Lumpino

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2016, 11:52:10 am »
Quote from: LunaStar;184036

A very interesting book about a Wishcraft is here.

http://chestofbooks.com/new-age/paranormal/Mind-Power/#.U7jTfkCuMSn

Is older, the book was published 1913, but still I don't know any better.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2016, 11:53:24 am by Lumpino »

Tags:

Beginner Area

Warning: You are currently in a Beginner Friendly area of the message board.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 379
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Please Donate!

The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.

* Shop & Support TC

The links below are affiliate links. When you click on one of these links you will go to the listed shopping site with The Cauldron's affiliate code. Any purchases you make during your visit will earn TC a tiny percentage of your purchase price at no extra cost to you.

* In Memoriam

Chavi (2006)
Elspeth (2010)
Marilyn (2013)

* Cauldron Staff

Host:
Sunflower

Message Board Staff
Board Coordinator:
Darkhawk

Assistant Board Coordinator:
Aster Breo

Senior Staff:
Aisling, Allaya, Jenett, Sefiru

Staff:
Ashmire, EclecticWheel, HarpingHawke, Kylara, PerditaPickle, rocquelaire

Discord Chat Staff
Chat Coordinator:
Morag

'Up All Night' Coordinator:
Altair

Cauldron Council:
Bob, Catja, Chatelaine, Emma-Eldritch, Fausta, Jubes, Kelly, LyricFox, Phouka, Sperran, Star, Steve, Tana

Site Administrator:
Randall

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal