"Christ Is King" by Altair
[Today at 01:09:34 am]

Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Author Topic: What/Who am i dreaming about?  (Read 2627 times)

Gore

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
What/Who am i dreaming about?
« on: September 10, 2011, 11:06:02 pm »
Hi, I am 14 year old Todd Grove. Born of Florence KY, and resident of Weidman MI. I am a Heathen like most of you. I have been wearing the Hammer of Thor for almost two years now. I had a religious revelation from a man in my dreams and actions that followed.

Around about five to six years ago, (while i was a Christian XD) a man kept appearing in my dreams. He had a brown eyes, a strong face, long brown hair and beard, and was very large and muscular.

At first he didn't talk in my dreams. In my dreams i would be sitting in front of him and he would just look down smiling at me. The first couple times i had imagined him to be the Christian god. But time would definately tell different.

Latter dreams he talked to and spoke to me. I didn't understand the languade he spoke and he got frustrated it seemed. For a few years i didn't dream about him. Until i hit the age of thirteen.

When my father passed away almost two years ago i was in a depression for months. The man came back. He spoke to me and i could understand him. He told me to wear the hammer of Thorr and to worship the true gods. (By now i had realized this wasn't the Christian god.) He told me the Hammer would protect me from Dark spirits and some Physical harm. Since then it has.

Now my question is, what god spoke to me? I would be really glad and appreciative to the Heathen/pagan community if they would help me out. I want to follow him for comforting and protecting me in the trials of life. I owe him dearly.

Nicole

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: What/Who am i dreaming about?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2011, 02:54:24 am »
Quote from: ToddGrove;19012
Hi, I am 14 year old Todd Grove. Born of Florence KY, and resident of Weidman MI. I am a Heathen like most of you. I have been wearing the Hammer of Thor for almost two years now. I had a religious revelation from a man in my dreams and actions that followed.

Hi Todd,

Thank you for posting here, and let me start out by staying that I'm sorry for your loss. Losing a parent can be a staggering loss, and I had a very rough time myself when I lost my mother about 4 years ago.

It makes sense that the burly figure you're describing would be Thor, Himself, and while Thor is fantastic, that not the feeling I'm getting. I wavered on bringing Him up for a while. But, ended up drawing a rune on this and pulled "Soweilu", the rune of the sun and success, which to me, has always been a solid 'Yes'.

There's a dwarf in the Norse mythos you may want to look into, and His name is Andvari, and he also, in my head anyway, rather matches the description that you've given. I'm a bit rusty on His mythos myself, so I'm not sure if the following is actually in His myth or if it's just a collection of personal experience, but the experience that I and others have had with Andvari is that He has several sons, and His wife died shortly after the last was born, so His children, by-and-large, grew up without a mother. I could see Him being very sympathetic and protective to someone who is young and has lost a parent. Aside from all that, Andvari has a lot to do with Smithcraft and Money.
He's a bit hard to find resources on, but regardless, a good, free place to read a lot of Norse myths is here: http://www.sacred-texts.com/neu/ice/index.htm
On the topic of Andvari alone, there is a devotional book called Root, Stone, and Bone, which is a devotional written for/about Him.

In the end, go wherever you feel called. But, I hope that's at least a little helpful. :)

Take care!

Gore

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2011, 12:28:05 pm »
Quote from: Nicole;19038
Hi Todd,

Thank you for posting here, and let me start out by staying that I'm sorry for your loss. Losing a parent can be a staggering loss, and I had a very rough time myself when I lost my mother about 4 years ago.

It makes sense that the burly figure you're describing would be Thor, Himself, and while Thor is fantastic, that not the feeling I'm getting. I wavered on bringing Him up for a while. But, ended up drawing a rune on this and pulled "Soweilu", the rune of the sun and success, which to me, has always been a solid 'Yes'.

There's a dwarf in the Norse mythos you may want to look into, and His name is Andvari, and he also, in my head anyway, rather matches the description that you've given. I'm a bit rusty on His mythos myself, so I'm not sure if the following is actually in His myth or if it's just a collection of personal experience, but the experience that I and others have had with Andvari is that He has several sons, and His wife died shortly after the last was born, so His children, by-and-large, grew up without a mother. I could see Him being very sympathetic and protective to someone who is young and has lost a parent. Aside from all that, Andvari has a lot to do with Smithcraft and Money.
He's a bit hard to find resources on, but regardless, a good, free place to read a lot of Norse myths is here: http://www.sacred-texts.com/neu/ice/index.htm
On the topic of Andvari alone, there is a devotional book called Root, Stone, and Bone, which is a devotional written for/about Him.

In the end, go wherever you feel called. But, I hope that's at least a little helpful. :)

Take care!

Thank you so much Nicole! As you have said, it is very hard so far in finding any information on him except for the hoard of treasure that he had guarded which had been taken by Loke. It makes sense that he would be sympathetic and i believe you are right about who has appeared to me. I do have a question though, is he Vanir or Aesir? Or are dwarves something completely different?

Nicole

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2011, 01:04:01 pm »
Quote from: ToddGrove;19088
Thank you so much Nicole! As you have said, it is very hard so far in finding any information on him except for the hoard of treasure that he had guarded which had been taken by Loke. It makes sense that he would be sympathetic and i believe you are right about who has appeared to me. I do have a question though, is he Vanir or Aesir? Or are dwarves something completely different?

Dwarves are a people all of their own, often referred to as Svartalfar, or "Dark Elves", and they live in (surpise) Svartalfheim, which is another world on the Great Tree.

Gore

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2011, 06:44:06 pm »
Quote from: Nicole;19092
Dwarves are a people all of their own, often referred to as Svartalfar, or "Dark Elves", and they live in (surpise) Svartalfheim, which is another world on the Great Tree.

And they are able to be worshipped as well as the gods?

Nicole

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2011, 06:55:00 pm »
Quote from: ToddGrove;19144
And they are able to be worshipped as well as the gods?

This... will depend entirely on who you ask. I know several people who have shrines to Andvari, right alongside Odin, Thor, and whoever else they venerate. Others may tell you "Absolutely not!" when you ask this question.
I can say that in modern Heathenry, it's not uncommon or necessarily frowned upon to honor wights (spirits), ancestors, and other allies such as the Dwarves or Alfar (elves) alongside the Gods, so it becomes a slippery slope as to what you define as "worship".
So, my advice is to do what feels right to you.

Gore

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2011, 07:25:08 pm »
Quote from: Nicole;19146
This... will depend entirely on who you ask. I know several people who have shrines to Andvari, right alongside Odin, Thor, and whoever else they venerate. Others may tell you "Absolutely not!" when you ask this question.
I can say that in modern Heathenry, it's not uncommon or necessarily frowned upon to honor wights (spirits), ancestors, and other allies such as the Dwarves or Alfar (elves) alongside the Gods, so it becomes a slippery slope as to what you define as "worship".
So, my advice is to do what feels right to you.

Nicole, the information you have given me has really helped me out in my predicament. It also feels right as you said. This Andvare sounds alot like the man in my dreams. Thank you!

Also, do a lot of modern heathens count Dwarves and elves to be inferior to the gods and that is why they say it is wrong to worship them?

Juniperberry

• Grand Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2011, 07:38:26 pm »
Quote from: ToddGrove;19152
Nicole, the information you have given me has really helped me out in my predicament. It also feels right as you said. This Andvare sounds alot like the man in my dreams. Thank you!

Also, do a lot of modern heathens count Dwarves and elves to be inferior to the gods and that is why they say it is wrong to worship them?

The gods aren't superior to anything. They're wights, dwarves are wights, we're wights. Being a 'god' in heathenry is a title of function, not being. The gods are responsible for the larger workings of the world, much like Obama is in charge of the US. But Obama is not superior to you,  he's just in a position of authority that warrants respect.

Most traditional heathens actually feel its better to appeal to your ancestors or local wights moreso than the gods, since they are so busy with larger issues and not on individuals. If you have any doubts about Andvari, I'd suggest considering your dream to be a visit by an ancestor- especially in light of your loss. Its our family that has a vested interest in us that is stronger than anything else.
The pace of progress in artificial intelligence (I’m not referring to narrow AI) is incredibly fast. [...] The risk of something seriously dangerous happening is in the five year timeframe. 10 years at most.--Elon Musk

I am in the camp that is concerned about super intelligence," [Bill] Gates wrote. "First the machines will do a lot of jobs for us and not be super intelligent. That should be positive if we manage it well. A few decades after that though the intelligence is strong enough to be a concern. I agree with Elon Musk and some others on this and don\'t understand why some people are not concerned."

Gore

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2011, 09:22:31 pm »
Quote from: Juniperberry;19153
The gods aren't superior to anything. They're wights, dwarves are wights, we're wights. Being a 'god' in heathenry is a title of function, not being. The gods are responsible for the larger workings of the world, much like Obama is in charge of the US. But Obama is not superior to you,  he's just in a position of authority that warrants respect.

Most traditional heathens actually feel its better to appeal to your ancestors or local wights moreso than the gods, since they are so busy with larger issues and not on individuals. If you have any doubts about Andvari, I'd suggest considering your dream to be a visit by an ancestor- especially in light of your loss. Its our family that has a vested interest in us that is stronger than anything else.

Thank you very much Juniper. If i had any doubts on Andvare i would definately heed your advice.

As for your explanation of the gods, thank you! That does make quite the bit of sense. Another question if you dont mind, what would a "Local Wight" be?

Juniperberry

• Grand Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2011, 01:06:18 am »
Quote from: ToddGrove;19170
Thank you very much Juniper. If i had any doubts on Andvare i would definately heed your advice.

As for your explanation of the gods, thank you! That does make quite the bit of sense. Another question if you dont mind, what would a "Local Wight" be?

Land/Sea/House wight. One who lives in your local area, one who lives by your local water, on who resides in/visits your home.
The pace of progress in artificial intelligence (I’m not referring to narrow AI) is incredibly fast. [...] The risk of something seriously dangerous happening is in the five year timeframe. 10 years at most.--Elon Musk

I am in the camp that is concerned about super intelligence," [Bill] Gates wrote. "First the machines will do a lot of jobs for us and not be super intelligent. That should be positive if we manage it well. A few decades after that though the intelligence is strong enough to be a concern. I agree with Elon Musk and some others on this and don\'t understand why some people are not concerned."

Gore

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2011, 06:21:03 pm »
Quote from: Juniperberry;19215
Land/Sea/House wight. One who lives in your local area, one who lives by your local water, on who resides in/visits your home.

Thanks Juniper!

In Ragnarok, which side would followers of Andvare fight on? Would they be with the legions of the dead and the giants, or with the Aesir?

Tags: