Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Sefiru
[April 08, 2024, 06:09:38 pm]

Author Topic: Asatru  (Read 1654 times)

lvinther

• View Profile
Asatru
« on: December 21, 2015, 10:51:10 pm »
My questions:

1. Anyone here super eclectic? Taking what nourishes your soul and leaving behind what doesn't when you learn about new or different paths?

2. Anyone here who is Heathen and/or part of the Asatru community? I am just wanting to hear from others who are a part of that community on the topic of conversion or being raised in that path and also how you told others, what their reactions were, and how long have you been in practice?

In my spiritual journey I have crossed MANY different paths to many different faiths and practices. I have been highly eclectic for the reason of searching and dedicated to Cernunnos for almost a year and and prior to that I never had a name for the gods/goddesses I came across. I simply called them God or Horned God or Goddess, or Mother, or Father, you get the picture. But lately I have seriously been drawn to Asatru and have no idea where to start my in depth reading. I find articles online and there are just so many groups with so many different views.

Some groups discriminate based on color, ethnicity, location, and path. Some groups are open to anyone. Some say you can't just convert, you have to be born into it. Some say if the gods of Asatru call to you, you come to be in fellowship with them. Some say in Asatru we are equal to the gods and they are our brothers/sisters. Some say they worship much like Christians do. So you can easily see why it is so difficult to find answers. Anything helps!

kratos264

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Asatru
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2015, 11:57:10 am »
Quote from: lvinther;183795
My questions:

1. Anyone here super eclectic? Taking what nourishes your soul and leaving behind what doesn't when you learn about new or different paths?

2. Anyone here who is Heathen and/or part of the Asatru community? I am just wanting to hear from others who are a part of that community on the topic of conversion or being raised in that path and also how you told others, what their reactions were, and how long have you been in practice?
. Anything helps!

I'm fairly new to Asatru, I've started by reading our troth and am trying to find a good version of the Edda's to read. I've only been researching Asatru since about October, but I fealt the call to this path some time before.

I recently told my fiance and while we went through a rocky patch at first, we came to agree that it's likely that most religions started as the same religion and were just interperated by different civilizations differently. So it doesn't matter what religion we choose. I'm not sure if those ideas allow me to truly be heathen, but this path still calls to me.

I haven't found a group or organization yet. I think the closest kindred to me is about four hours away.

Grimnir Thrymsson

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2016, 01:05:00 pm »
My questions:

In my spiritual journey I have crossed MANY different paths to many different faiths and practices. I have been highly eclectic for the reason of searching and dedicated to Cernunnos for almost a year and and prior to that I never had a name for the gods/goddesses I came across. I simply called them God or Horned God or Goddess, or Mother, or Father, you get the picture. But lately I have seriously been drawn to Asatru and have no idea where to start my in depth reading. I find articles online and there are just so many groups with so many different views.

Some groups discriminate based on color, ethnicity, location, and path. Some groups are open to anyone. Some say you can't just convert, you have to be born into it. Some say if the gods of Asatru call to you, you come to be in fellowship with them. Some say in Asatru we are equal to the gods and they are our brothers/sisters. Some say they worship much like Christians do. So you can easily see why it is so difficult to find answers. Anything helps!

You are correct, there is a LOT of conflicting information on Asatru out there. Here is a link to our groups info page.  http://www.irminsul.org/as/asr.html

I have been practicing Asatru (or what I had interpreted as Asatru) for about 30 years now. I started on my own when my christian upbringing just did not seem to click with me. I studied many world religions and "mythologies" until I came across the Norse and that clicked into place. I researched as mush as I could and honored the Gods and Goddesses as best I knew how.

Then about 14 years ago I met up with some like minded people and ended up with the group I am now with, and was then called to serve the Folk as a Godhi. I continue this path to this day.

I find that even in the lore it was common for the people to be open and accepting of other cultures/world views. The north-men traded and raided all over Europe, Northern Africa, North America and even with Asia through Constantinople. They had many outposts/settlements all over and would intermarry regularly.

I am always happy to help and answer any questions you may have.

Jainarayan

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2016, 10:53:52 am »
My questions:

Super eclectic? No. Moderately eclectic, yes. I worship the Norse gods primarily but I revere the Hindu, Buddhist and Taoist deities also. It's only for the Norse gods I have what I'd call a proper shrine. My Hindu, Buddhist and Taoist shrines are really just collections of their images and statues, because of their locations, and that I don't formally or very often make offerings or prayers. When I do it's in the context of those cultures.

I left Christianity several paths ago. My progression was:
  • Christian, but the theology doesn't work for me.  
  • Agnosticism and deism; however, I've always been a polytheist inasmuch as the gods, all gods, exist as forces, metaphors and archetypes.
  • Hindu. I love the gods but some of the theology, rituals, and beliefs don't work for me.
  • Ásatrúar for a couple of years.

I don't belong to a kindred because there are none within the area I can travel. My tribe is my family, though they are non-Heathen. For me, family connections, Heathen or not, comes before going to look for other Heathens. The extent of my contact with other Ásatrúar is the internet, which as I go along is actually proving to be a negative experience. I never announced any "conversion" to Ásatrú, I simply drifted into it. Who knows I am Ásatrúar is on a need-to-know basis, and most people don't need to know. ;)

Tags: