+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    Adept Member

Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Altair is a splendid one to behold Altair is a splendid one to behold Altair is a splendid one to behold Altair is a splendid one to behold Altair is a splendid one to behold Altair is a splendid one to behold Altair is a splendid one to behold Altair's Avatar
    Last Online
    11 Apr 2017 @ 05:04 PM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    tree-hugging neopagan

Up All Night: A Technopagan Solstice Celebration 2015

Hey, what is this thread? The night beginning at sunset on Monday, December 21, 2015, is the longest night of the year in the Northern Hemisphere. To celebrate the solstice (summer solstice in the Southern Hemisphere; in the North, it's winter solstice, a.k.a. Yule, Midwinter, and probably other things, depending on your tradition), a bunch of us plan to stay up all night and post here in this thread off and on throughout and/or chatter in chat, sharing our experiences or random thoughts...sharing photos or artwork throughout the evening...or just encouraging each other to stay awake!

So if you’re trying to stay up till dawn, or just want to pop in to converse with those of us who are, this is the place! Or if you're lucky enough to be in the Southern Hemisphere, enjoying the warmth and sun of summer solstice, tell us what we're missing!

In that spirit, here it is again, folks--that modest rhyme I composed specifically for our winter solstice efforts. Tradition dictates that I offer it as invocation to kick things off:

A WINTER SOLSTICE REVEILLE

by Altair

Light dwindles, life despairs
    A bitter chill is in the air
    The sun departs, and with it goes
    A fruitful season free of woes
    As winter’s icy grip takes hold
    The sleeping landscape to enfold
    Many hours of dark must pass
    Before the sun returns at last
    To make its long-awaited climb
    With promise of a flowering time
    Until that hour, let dark prevail
    Greet longest night with strong wassail
    Sing and dance, feast and drink
    Or solemnly reflect and think
    From strange and hidden wells partake
    With one rule only: Stay awake!
    From dusk till dawn, hear our refrain:
    Let the solstice revels reign

[In the last line, swap in the word “vigil” for “revels” if the feeling is more contemplative than festive]

Adept Member

Achievements:
    Altair is a splendid one to behold Altair is a splendid one to behold Altair is a splendid one to behold Altair is a splendid one to behold Altair is a splendid one to behold Altair is a splendid one to behold Altair is a splendid one to behold Altair's Avatar
    Last Online
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    tree-hugging neopagan

Re: Up All Night: A Technopagan Solstice Celebration 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Altair View Post
    Hey, what is this thread? The night beginning at sunset on Monday, December 21, 2015, is the longest night of the year in the Northern Hemisphere. To celebrate the solstice (summer solstice in the Southern Hemisphere; in the North, it's winter solstice, a.k.a. Yule, Midwinter, and probably other things, depending on your tradition), a bunch of us plan to stay up all night and post here in this thread off and on throughout and/or chatter in chat, sharing our experiences or random thoughts...sharing photos or artwork throughout the evening...or just encouraging each other to stay awake!
    As I did last year, I'm launching the UAN thread early by North American east coast standards, so that those in the far eastern reaches of the globe, for whom nightfall on December 21 may be approaching, can begin posting.

This year's non-theme--inspiration for what to post, which can be completely ignored if you want to post something completely different (hence the "non" in "non-theme")--is:

Peace

The world needs it! Tell us what brings it for you, show us what it looks like in your area, write a poem or prayer about it...it's up to you!

Adept Member

Achievements:
    Last Online
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    tree-hugging neopagan

Here are some December 21 sunset / December 22 sunrise times for some Cauldronite locations (all times are local)--

Calgary
    4:31 PM / 8:37 AM

Essex, England
    3:49 PM / 8:02 AM

London
    3:53 PM / 8:04 AM

Boise, ID
    5:10 PM / 8:15 AM

Dallas, TX
    5:25 PM / 7:25 AM

Senior Master Member Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points
    RecycledBenedict has a spectacular aura about RecycledBenedict has a spectacular aura about RecycledBenedict's Avatar
    Last Online
    8 Oct 2016 @ 11:49 AM
    Country
    Sweden
    Religion
    Several
    Pronouns
    he/him/his

The Sun goes down in five minutes here, but I am not able to stay with you tonight. I go to my elderly family, and they see no reason to buy a computer or be online.

I wish you all a blessed festival, under whatever you name you prefer to celebrate it.

Staff Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassVeteran5000 Experience Points
    Allaya is a name known to all Allaya is a name known to all Allaya is a name known to all Allaya is a name known to all Allaya is a name known to all Allaya is a name known to all Allaya's Avatar
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 03:45 AM
    Country
    Norway
    Religion
    Appalachian & Norwegian flavored eclectic witchery
    Pronouns
    she/her/hers

Quote Originally Posted by FraterBenedict View Post
    The Sun goes down in five minutes here, but I am not able to stay with you tonight. I go to my elderly family, and they see no reason to buy a computer or be online.

I wish you all a blessed festival, under whatever you name you prefer to celebrate it.
    I've got us Scandinavia-dwellers covered!

My big living room window faces west and the sky above the other side of the valley is just getting to that peculiar shade of deep teal that comes right before it gets truly dark.

For me this year, the most tangible expression of peace has been that of inner peace. A great many different (and difficult) threads in my life have been untangled in the last few months and braided neatly together into one far more understandable cord. I might trip over the braided cord from time to time or find that I'm bound at the wrist, but it sure as hell beats stuggling against an incomprehensible snarl that only gets tighter as one tries to get free.

Adept Member

Achievements:
    Last Online
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    tree-hugging neopagan

Quote Originally Posted by FraterBenedict View Post

Thanks, FB. A good solstice to you, and we'll miss you!

Adept Member

Achievements:
    Last Online
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    tree-hugging neopagan

Quote Originally Posted by Allaya View Post
    I've got us Scandinavia-dwellers covered!
    Excellent! That far north, you're in for a loooooong night. Are you aiming to stay up for the whole thing?

For me this year, the most tangible expression of peace has been that of inner peace. A great many different (and difficult) threads in my life have been untangled in the last few months and braided neatly together into one far more understandable cord. I might trip over the braided cord from time to time or find that I'm bound at the wrist, but it sure as hell beats stuggling against an incomprehensible snarl that only gets tighter as one tries to get free.
    Interesting metaphor. I think I may explore inner peace myself tonight...

Staff Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassVeteran5000 Experience Points
    Allaya is a name known to all Allaya is a name known to all Allaya is a name known to all Allaya is a name known to all Allaya is a name known to all Allaya is a name known to all Allaya's Avatar
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 03:45 AM
    Country
    Norway
    Religion
    Appalachian & Norwegian flavored eclectic witchery
    Pronouns
    she/her/hers

Excellent! That far north, you're in for a loooooong night. Are you aiming to stay up for the whole thing?
    Local sunrise is at 9:15, so I think I'll have to tap out before that. However, I do have a knack for staying up late and will keep y'all company for as long as I can manage.

Interesting metaphor. I think I may explore inner peace myself tonight...
    I'm just full of weird metaphors.

Staff Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran5000 Experience Points
    rocquelaire will become famous soon enough rocquelaire will become famous soon enough rocquelaire's Avatar
    Last Online
    25 Apr 2017 @ 03:18 PM
    Country
    UK
    Religion
    Clann Bhride

Here are some December 21 sunset / December 22 sunrise times for some Cauldronite locations (all times are local)--

Calgary
    4:31 PM / 8:37 AM

Essex, England
    3:49 PM / 8:02 AM

London
    3:53 PM / 8:04 AM

Boise, ID
    5:10 PM / 8:15 AM

Dallas, TX
    5:25 PM / 7:25 AM
    The sun has set here in Scotland, though I can't see it because of the thick, grey rain clouds that have filled the sky all day. And so the longest night begins!

I'm unlikely to make it all night - I have young children that I'll be caring for tomorrow so no time to catch up on sleep. I'll be in and out while I'm up though.

One of these years, I'll make it all night.
    Ashael Rising My debut novel, a tale of a tribal medicine woman, protecting her world from soul-sucking invaders. Crowdfunding now.

Adept Member

Achievements:
    Last Online
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    tree-hugging neopagan

Quote Originally Posted by rocquelaire View Post
    The sun has set here in Scotland

The march of darkness across the globe continues!

I can't see it because of the thick, grey rain clouds that have filled the sky all day.
    The same here in NYC. Feh.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast