Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Up All Night: A Technopagan Solstice Celebration 2015  (Read 11189 times)

Altair

• Staff
  • Fly high and make the world follow
    • View Profile
    • Songs of the Metamythos
  • Religion: tree-hugging pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
Up All Night: A Technopagan Solstice Celebration 2015
« on: December 20, 2015, 11:25:14 pm »
Hey, what is this thread? The night beginning at sunset on Monday, December 21, 2015, is the longest night of the year in the Northern Hemisphere. To celebrate the solstice (summer solstice in the Southern Hemisphere; in the North, it's winter solstice, a.k.a. Yule, Midwinter, and probably other things, depending on your tradition), a bunch of us plan to stay up all night and post here in this thread off and on throughout and/or chatter in chat, sharing our experiences or random thoughts...sharing photos or artwork throughout the evening...or just encouraging each other to stay awake!

So if you’re trying to stay up till dawn, or just want to pop in to converse with those of us who are, this is the place! Or if you're lucky enough to be in the Southern Hemisphere, enjoying the warmth and sun of summer solstice, tell us what we're missing!

In that spirit, here it is again, folks--that modest rhyme I composed specifically for our winter solstice efforts. Tradition dictates that I offer it as invocation to kick things off:

A WINTER SOLSTICE REVEILLE

by Altair

Light dwindles, life despairs
A bitter chill is in the air
The sun departs, and with it goes
A fruitful season free of woes
As winter’s icy grip takes hold
The sleeping landscape to enfold
Many hours of dark must pass
Before the sun returns at last
To make its long-awaited climb
With promise of a flowering time
Until that hour, let dark prevail
Greet longest night with strong wassail
Sing and dance, feast and drink
Or solemnly reflect and think
From strange and hidden wells partake
With one rule only: Stay awake!
From dusk till dawn, hear our refrain:
Let the solstice revels reign

[In the last line, swap in the word “vigil” for “revels” if the feeling is more contemplative than festive]
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

Altair

• Staff
    • View Profile
Re: Up All Night: A Technopagan Solstice Celebration 2015
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2015, 11:30:04 pm »
Quote from: Altair;183701
Hey, what is this thread? The night beginning at sunset on Monday, December 21, 2015, is the longest night of the year in the Northern Hemisphere. To celebrate the solstice (summer solstice in the Southern Hemisphere; in the North, it's winter solstice, a.k.a. Yule, Midwinter, and probably other things, depending on your tradition), a bunch of us plan to stay up all night and post here in this thread off and on throughout and/or chatter in chat, sharing our experiences or random thoughts...sharing photos or artwork throughout the evening...or just encouraging each other to stay awake!

As I did last year, I'm launching the UAN thread early by North American east coast standards, so that those in the far eastern reaches of the globe, for whom nightfall on December 21 may be approaching, can begin posting.

This year's non-theme--inspiration for what to post, which can be completely ignored if you want to post something completely different (hence the "non" in "non-theme")--is:

Peace

The world needs it! Tell us what brings it for you, show us what it looks like in your area, write a poem or prayer about it...it's up to you!
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

Altair

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2015, 08:07:43 am »

Here are some December 21 sunset / December 22 sunrise times for some Cauldronite locations (all times are local)--

Calgary
4:31 PM / 8:37 AM

Essex, England
3:49 PM / 8:02 AM

London
3:53 PM / 8:04 AM

Boise, ID
5:10 PM / 8:15 AM

Dallas, TX
5:25 PM / 7:25 AM

RecycledBenedict

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2015, 09:14:35 am »

The Sun goes down in five minutes here, but I am not able to stay with you tonight. I go to my elderly family, and they see no reason to buy a computer or be online.

I wish you all a blessed festival, under whatever you name you prefer to celebrate it.

Allaya

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Idio-syncretic
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2015, 09:55:53 am »
Quote from: FraterBenedict;183715
The Sun goes down in five minutes here, but I am not able to stay with you tonight. I go to my elderly family, and they see no reason to buy a computer or be online.

I wish you all a blessed festival, under whatever you name you prefer to celebrate it.

I've got us Scandinavia-dwellers covered!

My big living room window faces west and the sky above the other side of the valley is just getting to that peculiar shade of deep teal that comes right before it gets truly dark.

For me this year, the most tangible expression of peace has been that of inner peace. A great many different (and difficult) threads in my life have been untangled in the last few months and braided neatly together into one far more understandable cord. I might trip over the braided cord from time to time or find that I'm bound at the wrist, but it sure as hell beats stuggling against an incomprehensible snarl that only gets tighter as one tries to get free.
Service is the rent we pay for the privilege of living on this earth.  — Shirley Chisholm
No doubt the truth can be unpleasant, but I am not sure that unpleasantness is the same as the truth.  — Roger Ebert
It is difficult to get a person to understand something when their livelihood depends upon them not understanding it. — Upton Sinclair (adapted)
People cannot be reasoned out of an opinion that they have not reasoned themselves into. — Fisher Ames (adapted)

Altair

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2015, 09:58:06 am »
Quote from: FraterBenedict;183715

Thanks, FB. A good solstice to you, and we'll miss you!

Altair

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2015, 10:13:12 am »
Quote from: Allaya;183716
I've got us Scandinavia-dwellers covered!

Excellent! That far north, you're in for a loooooong night. Are you aiming to stay up for the whole thing?

For me this year, the most tangible expression of peace has been that of inner peace. A great many different (and difficult) threads in my life have been untangled in the last few months and braided neatly together into one far more understandable cord. I might trip over the braided cord from time to time or find that I'm bound at the wrist, but it sure as hell beats stuggling against an incomprehensible snarl that only gets tighter as one tries to get free.

Interesting metaphor. I think I may explore inner peace myself tonight...

Allaya

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2015, 10:36:55 am »
Quote from: Altair;183718
Excellent! That far north, you're in for a loooooong night. Are you aiming to stay up for the whole thing?

Local sunrise is at 9:15, so I think I'll have to tap out before that. However, I do have a knack for staying up late and will keep y'all company for as long as I can manage.

Interesting metaphor. I think I may explore inner peace myself tonight...

I'm just full of weird metaphors. :)
Service is the rent we pay for the privilege of living on this earth.  — Shirley Chisholm
No doubt the truth can be unpleasant, but I am not sure that unpleasantness is the same as the truth.  — Roger Ebert
It is difficult to get a person to understand something when their livelihood depends upon them not understanding it. — Upton Sinclair (adapted)
People cannot be reasoned out of an opinion that they have not reasoned themselves into. — Fisher Ames (adapted)

rocquelaire

• Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Gaelic Polytheist
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/her
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2015, 10:56:30 am »
Quote from: Altair;183714
Here are some December 21 sunset / December 22 sunrise times for some Cauldronite locations (all times are local)--

Calgary
4:31 PM / 8:37 AM

Essex, England
3:49 PM / 8:02 AM

London
3:53 PM / 8:04 AM

Boise, ID
5:10 PM / 8:15 AM

Dallas, TX
5:25 PM / 7:25 AM

The sun has set here in Scotland, though I can't see it because of the thick, grey rain clouds that have filled the sky all day. And so the longest night begins!

I'm unlikely to make it all night - I have young children that I'll be caring for tomorrow so no time to catch up on sleep. I'll be in and out while I'm up though.

One of these years, I'll make it all night.

Altair

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2015, 11:06:31 am »
Quote from: rocquelaire;183720
The sun has set here in Scotland

The march of darkness across the globe continues!

I can't see it because of the thick, grey rain clouds that have filled the sky all day.

The same here in NYC. Feh.

Altair

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2015, 11:41:56 am »
Quote from: Altair;183721

I should say, the march of darkness across the Northern Hemisphere; this time of year, you sunny Southerners of the globe (you Cauldronites know who you are!) make me ill. ;)

Chatelaine

• Staff
  • Metaphors be with you.
    • View Profile
    • Are We There Yet?
  • Religion: Eastern Orthodox Christian
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2015, 11:54:35 am »
Quote from: Altair;183721

It is nearly 5 here in the UK, and it is fully dark. I was a bit late lighting my candle (a magnificent handpoured frankincense-scented jar I'd been saving since my birthday) because my stepmother and I were busy making cookies. I'mma go shower now, before dinner is ready, and then settle down with you until midnightish. :)
'You created us restless, O Lord, and we find no rest until we rest in You.'
~St Augustine~
Whole blog o' nonsense: Are We There Yet?

Altair

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2015, 11:57:53 am »
Quote from: Chatelaine;183724
It is nearly 5 here in the UK, and it is fully dark. I was a bit late lighting my candle (a magnificent handpoured frankincense-scented jar I'd been saving since my birthday) because my stepmother and I were busy making cookies. I'mma go shower now, before dinner is ready, and then settle down with you until midnightish. :)

Welcome, Chatelaine! (The 3:49 sunset time for Essex in my earlier post was for you, BTW.)

Moonstone

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2015, 12:27:14 pm »

So if you’re trying to stay up till dawn, or just want to pop in to converse with those of us who are, this is the place! Or if you're lucky enough to be in the Southern Hemisphere, enjoying the warmth and sun of summer solstice, tell us what we're missing!

In that spirit, here it is again, folks--that modest rhyme I composed specifically for our winter solstice efforts. Tradition dictates that I offer it as invocation to kick things off:

A WINTER SOLSTICE REVEILLE

by Altair

Light dwindles, life despairs
A bitter chill is in the air
The sun departs, and with it goes
A fruitful season free of woes
As winter’s icy grip takes hold
The sleeping landscape to enfold
Many hours of dark must pass
Before the sun returns at last
To make its long-awaited climb
With promise of a flowering time
Until that hour, let dark prevail
Greet longest night with strong wassail
Sing and dance, feast and drink
Or solemnly reflect and think
From strange and hidden wells partake
With one rule only: Stay awake!
From dusk till dawn, hear our refrain:
Let the solstice revels reign

[In the last line, swap in the word “vigil” for “revels” if the feeling is more contemplative than festive]

Well the sun has set here and I have said a small prayer to the gods of the moon which will be keeping us company tonight (if it's not too cloudy!). I doubt I'll be able to stay up all night as my medication makes me tired but I will  be getting up early tomorrow to watch the sunrise.
I've already had a mince pie (my family are atheists but celebrate christmas so i have been doing christmassy things with them) and i will have some mulled wine later but not too much!! And tomorrow I might do a small ritual to welcome back the sun.
Well... I hope you all have an enjoyable night and I wish you luck in staying up all night!
Season's Greetings to you all :)

Allaya

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2015, 12:44:11 pm »
Quote from: Moonstone;183726
Well the sun has set here and I have said a small prayer to the gods of the moon which will be keeping us company tonight (if it's not too cloudy!). I doubt I'll be able to stay up all night as my medication makes me tired but I will  be getting up early tomorrow to watch the sunrise.
I've already had a mince pie (my family are atheists but celebrate christmas so i have been doing christmassy things with them) and i will have some mulled wine later but not too much!! And tomorrow I might do a small ritual to welcome back the sun.
Well... I hope you all have an enjoyable night and I wish you luck in staying up all night!
Season's Greetings to you all :)

I've unceremoniously had some mixed-mushroom soup and a rather embarrassing quantity of ice cream. :ashamed:

However, in a nod to the technopaganess of this evening, I have pulled up an 8 hour fireplace video on youtube and put it up on the big TV.

Tags: