"Christ Is King" by Altair
[Today at 01:09:34 am]

Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Author Topic: Pagan bookstore named Isis vandalized  (Read 3908 times)

Aubren

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Wazhazhe

Lana288

• Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: Pagan bookstore named Isis vandalized
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2015, 02:50:31 pm »
Quote from: Aubren;183440
http://kdvr.com/2015/11/17/book-store-named-isis-becomes-target-of-vandalism/

Awful. :( I hope that the bookstore gets through this. I'm a little bit surprised that people have been targeting it, though; one would think that people would be able to tell that a pagan bookstore named Isis would be referencing the goddess, not the terrorist group.

Morag

• Senior Staff
  • cranky witch mom
    • View Profile
    • Priestess of the 3
  • Religion: Priestess of the 3
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2015, 08:56:28 pm »
Quote from: Ian288;183461
Awful. :( I hope that the bookstore gets through this. I'm a little bit surprised that people have been targeting it, though; one would think that people would be able to tell that a pagan bookstore named Isis would be referencing the goddess, not the terrorist group.

A friend of mine had the cops called on her because her bumper sticker -- on her car for years and years and years -- said "Ankh if you love Isis!" on it. In Papyrus font. With an ankh. Very obviously referring to the goddess. But her neighbours thought she was supporting Daesh, so called the RCMP. Just a good thing this was before the "barbaric cultural practices" hotline got set up and C-51 got passed, or she may have been thrown in prison before anyone bothered to ask her about the thing. :rolleye::
Pray drunk. Hex sober.
Priestess of the 3
"The most powerful god at any given moment is the one who can solve the moment's problem."
-Darkhawk

Aubren

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2015, 06:59:51 pm »
Quote from: Morag;183467
A friend of mine had the cops called on her because her bumper sticker -- on her car for years and years and years -- said "Ankh if you love Isis!" on it. In Papyrus font. With an ankh. Very obviously referring to the goddess. But her neighbours thought she was supporting Daesh, so called the RCMP. Just a good thing this was before the "barbaric cultural practices" hotline got set up and C-51 got passed, or she may have been thrown in prison before anyone bothered to ask her about the thing. :rolleye::

Woah--what laws now? I don't watch the news.

I really think an "Isis Awareness" group is in order. I'm surprised I haven't seen one.

On a completely separate note, I knew a Wiccan who had/has a ton of pagan bumper stickers on her car, and she got pulled over by a cop because he was just so offended . Yelled at her, too.
Wazhazhe

Morag

• Senior Staff
  • cranky witch mom
    • View Profile
    • Priestess of the 3
  • Religion: Priestess of the 3
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2015, 08:18:17 pm »
Quote from: Aubren;183527
Woah--what laws now? I don't watch the news.

Here's an article on the hotline, and here's an overview of Bill C-51.

We have a new party in charge and new prime minister now, though, so the hope is that he'll repeal or at least heavily edit C-51 (and he may have already dealt with the stupid hotline; he's been doing a lot since becoming PM but the news cycle has been obsessed over "nannygate" so that's all that's really crossed my path). Really hoping he repeals C-24, too. That one is especially bad news.
Pray drunk. Hex sober.
Priestess of the 3
"The most powerful god at any given moment is the one who can solve the moment's problem."
-Darkhawk

Aubren

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2015, 09:54:02 pm »
Quote from: Morag;183531
Here's an article on the hotline, and here's an overview of Bill C-51.

We have a new party in charge and new prime minister now, though, so the hope is that he'll repeal or at least heavily edit C-51 (and he may have already dealt with the stupid hotline; he's been doing a lot since becoming PM but the news cycle has been obsessed over "nannygate" so that's all that's really crossed my path). Really hoping he repeals C-24, too. That one is especially bad news.

Wow. That's pretty bad.

I'm surprised that the veil thing is quite an issue over there. I mean, I get Quebec because they're connected to France, but the rest of Canada? Don't you guys celebrate your multiculturality? Do you guys just not have enough fashion diversity or nuns to convince people that women can wear what they want or what? (If I sound like an ignorent U.S-ian, then that's fair. It's 100% accurate.)

We have that discrimination here too, but I've seen it aimed more at the men than the women. Like, they're freaking out over the Muslim men because those are the ones who stereotypically become terrorists. Women are just the victims.

But your conservative radicals are justifying terrorizing victims to rescue them? What?

Edit: I know it happens here too. But it's less often, from my understanding. Maybe I'm just ignorent. Hmm...

Just trying to sort out the difference between Canadian "Republicans" and our own, I suppose.

C-24 doesn't make sense unless they try to push ALL terrorist onto other countries, I think. It's like they're trying to disassociate themselves from "having bad guys" or something. I wonder how this would effect "How many terrorists come from which country?" graphs.

C-51 straight up scares me. I don't know how your police are up there, but I know how our police are down here. It sounds like your police are getting legal permission to discriminate as they please. It also sounds like your spy-agency is getting upgraded to a CIA equivalent.

Goodluck getting rid of all of those.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2015, 09:56:43 pm by Aubren »
Wazhazhe

Elding

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2015, 09:21:39 am »
Quote from: Ian288;183461

I hope it was someone drunk, at least... or it might've been someone with an agenda to increase tension, possibly Daesh themselves or anyone who doesn't like that the name Isis is associated with the Goddess rather than the movement.

If someone really vandalized a pagan book store because they didn't like Daesh, then that's... sad, really.
Out in the woods, and I\'m not alone, but the sun\'s quickly going down!
There! In the trees! Something stalking me! Stop walking around!
\'K, just be cool, don\'t be such a fool! There is nothing at all to fear...
... other than the trees and the night and a beam of light, and the breathing in my ear...
[/I]

Aubren

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2015, 10:26:56 pm »
Quote from: Elding;184124
I hope it was someone drunk, at least... or it might've been someone with an agenda to increase tension, possibly Daesh themselves or anyone who doesn't like that the name Isis is associated with the Goddess rather than the movement.

If someone really vandalized a pagan book store because they didn't like Daesh, then that's... sad, really.

They've had multiple violations.
Wazhazhe

Materialist

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2015, 03:59:06 pm »
Quote from: Elding;184124

It's a systematic campaign of terror by White Christian Fundamentalists.

Yes, I know that sounds paranoid, but hear me out a minute.

Since Paris was bombed, I've been keeping tabs on violations of the rights of Muslims in the U.S. by reading dozens of news articles every day. As after the destruction of the trade towers, the anti-Islam backlash has been turned to everyone who can pass as brown. I've seen reports of:
Baha'is of Iranian descent
Jews of Israeli descent
Coptic Christians of Egyptian descent
Hindus of Nepali and Indian descent
Sikhs of Indian descent
and persons of Central and South American descent being assaulted.

Sikh temples
Hindu temples
and Coptic Christian churches have been vandalized.

One sign written in Hebrew investigated by police.

And now Kemetic-themed shops and bumper stickers are leading to harassment. How much does anyone want to bet that Buddhists are next?

After the bombing of Pearl Harbor, any ethnic group that could pass as Japanese was assaulted. This backlash against Anyone-Who-Can-Pass-As is called "widening the net" by sociologists-it happens every time there is an attack, terrorist or otherwise.

It is not cases of mistaken identity by stupid, drunk rednecks. It's predictable behavior caused by racial stereotypes of brown ethnic groups, the belief in the Brown Savage, as I call it.   A Moroccan (last name is Simour, can't remember his first name) called it the ideology of the Brown Threat, in a book about Moroccan-Americans (it was something like  "History Beyond Borders: the Moroccan-American Experience of Encounters"). He explains how anti-Islam prejudice in the 19th and early 20th centuries was identical to anti-brown racism. It made me realize what is really going on now. And it ain't sad, it's bad.

lady*leaf

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2016, 05:53:10 pm »

Sad but not surprising... America is still overwhelmingly conservative Christian, my lefty friends and I that stay on the coasts tend to forget that.

On top of it all, calling Daesh or ISIL "ISIS" is not only offensive to worshippers of the goddess but also to Islamic Iraqis and Syrians since the name is an abbreviation of "The Islamic State of Iraq and Syria."

It's just ridiculous to me that even when France stated after the attacks that they will be calling this terrorist group by their proper name mainstream American media still continues to call this group ISIS.

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2016, 03:18:02 am »
Quote from: lady*leaf;184321
America is still overwhelmingly conservative Christian, my lefty friends and I that stay on the coasts tend to forget that.

Overwhelmingly Christian, yes. Overwhelmingly conservative Christian, no.

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

MadZealot

• Adept Member
  • Eye yam tu papi.
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Founder of the Church of No Pants.
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2016, 03:29:01 am »
Quote from: lady*leaf;184321
On top of it all, calling Daesh or ISIL "ISIS" is not only offensive to worshippers of the goddess but also to Islamic Iraqis and Syrians since the name is an abbreviation of "The Islamic State of Iraq and Syria."

Tbh I find it more disturbing that there's at least one passel of drivelling galoots out there who can't tell between a goddess's name and an acronym.  
And those fuckwits vote.
You have my sword
And my shield
And my... um... slacks.

Allaya

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Idio-syncretic
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2016, 04:11:25 am »
Quote from: MadZealot;184341
Tbh I find it more disturbing that there's at least one passel of drivelling galoots out there who can't tell between a goddess's name and an acronym.  
And those fuckwits vote.

I generally refer to them as IS in conversation. This also has the benefit of allowing me the small satisfaction of knowing it secretly stands for Incurable Shitheads.
Service is the rent we pay for the privilege of living on this earth.  — Shirley Chisholm
No doubt the truth can be unpleasant, but I am not sure that unpleasantness is the same as the truth.  — Roger Ebert
It is difficult to get a person to understand something when their livelihood depends upon them not understanding it. — Upton Sinclair (adapted)
People cannot be reasoned out of an opinion that they have not reasoned themselves into. — Fisher Ames (adapted)

MadZealot

• Adept Member
  • Eye yam tu papi.
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Founder of the Church of No Pants.
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2016, 05:30:01 am »
Quote from: Allaya;184342
I generally refer to them as IS in conversation. This also has the benefit of allowing me the small satisfaction of knowing it secretly stands for Incurable Shitheads.

I call em Daesh-bags, but hey, to each their own.
You have my sword
And my shield
And my... um... slacks.

Castus

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Happy Science
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2016, 09:15:27 am »

I agree with MadZealot, what really disturbs me is that people are stupid enough to conflate the two. As for what to call them, Islamic State generally works fine enough for me.
“Castus, meanwhile, goes straight for the bad theology like one of those creepy fish that swims up streams of pee.” — Darkhawk

“Believing in the Lord means you are connected to me no matter when you are poor, sick, or struggling in a relationship. I am always with you. I want you to believe that. The future is uncertain, and much suffering awaits. However, the mission of the believer is to live life doing their best, no matter what the circumstances.” — Ryuho Okawa

Tags: