Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Rune Magic  (Read 3126 times)

Skumring

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Rökkatru
Rune Magic
« on: December 06, 2015, 12:48:09 am »
I'll be sticking to what seems to be an older format for this for the purpose of this thread so I'll not be speaking on or about Galdrs for the most part.

The format I've been finding wherein one is to form the spell is a six-pointed star; essentially the newer form of Hagalaz.

So, my question is, do you think this could have an effect on the casting to have a seventh Rune involved, especially this one, simultaneously in the background and yet over-arching the entire thing?

Granted, this form is supposed to be gentle or benevolent chaos but it is still chaos and it is inherent in the spell.

Then there's the question of the specific format. If nine is a perfected patter then what if one were to use a nine-pointed star to write the spell? Further, nine is the perfected pattern and Hagalaz is the ninth Rune and also Hel's Rune. So, would this mean that if one writes their spell in the nine-point format one is necessarily calling Hel in writing the spell?
Owner of Dusk's Embrace Woodworking

At Dusk's Embrace Woodworking we strive to use only naturally sourced materials to make our products out of respect and love for our home.

Facebook: @DusksEmbraceWoodworking

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
Re: Rune Magic
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2015, 08:55:23 pm »
Quote from: Skumring;183226
... a six-pointed star; essentially the newer form of Hagalaz.

Granted, this form is supposed to be gentle or benevolent chaos....

I'm not clear what you're referring to here; the only 'newer form' of Hagalaz I'm familiar with is the one with a double, rather than single, diagonal crossbar, and I can't really correlate that to a six-pointed star.

And, supposed by whom to be gentle/benevolent chaos?

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Skumring

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Rökkatru
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2015, 12:04:32 am »
Quote from: SunflowerP;183242
I'm not clear what you're referring to here; the only 'newer form' of Hagalaz I'm familiar with is the one with a double, rather than single, diagonal crossbar, and I can't really correlate that to a six-pointed star.

And, supposed by whom to be gentle/benevolent chaos?

Sunflower

By newer, I mean much newer. It's basically a six-pointed asterisk.

The notion being that as the "H" Hagalaz represent the hailstone the "*" Hagalaz represents a snowflake.
Owner of Dusk's Embrace Woodworking

At Dusk's Embrace Woodworking we strive to use only naturally sourced materials to make our products out of respect and love for our home.

Facebook: @DusksEmbraceWoodworking

SunflowerP

• Host
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2015, 08:25:08 pm »
Quote from: Skumring;183248
By newer, I mean much newer. It's basically a six-pointed asterisk.

The notion being that as the "H" Hagalaz represent the hailstone the "*" Hagalaz represents a snowflake.

Ah. Innovations of this sort are likely to not be common knowledge; you'd probably get more responses if you provided a source for the innovation, so that people can get a notion of the context.

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Kylara

• Staff
    • View Profile
    • https://www.patreon.com/kyndryana
  • Religion: Norse Fusion Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2015, 11:31:42 am »
Quote from: SunflowerP;183289
Ah. Innovations of this sort are likely to not be common knowledge; you'd probably get more responses if you provided a source for the innovation, so that people can get a notion of the context.

Sunflower

The * form of Hagalaz comes from the Younger and Armenian rune sets, from everything I've read.

Quote from: Skumring;183226
I'll be sticking to what seems to be an older format for this for the purpose of this thread so I'll not be speaking on or about Galdrs for the most part.

The format I've been finding wherein one is to form the spell is a six-pointed star; essentially the newer form of Hagalaz.

So, my question is, do you think this could have an effect on the casting to have a seventh Rune involved, especially this one, simultaneously in the background and yet over-arching the entire thing?

Granted, this form is supposed to be gentle or benevolent chaos but it is still chaos and it is inherent in the spell.

Then there's the question of the specific format. If nine is a perfected patter then what if one were to use a nine-pointed star to write the spell? Further, nine is the perfected pattern and Hagalaz is the ninth Rune and also Hel's Rune. So, would this mean that if one writes their spell in the nine-point format one is necessarily calling Hel in writing the spell?

I think what you are referring to here (with drawing runes on the end of six interlocking lines) is Galdrastafir, a form of Icelandic stave magic.  It can be seen as a form of sigil magic.  These sigils can be drawn using a base that can be the *, or they can use a +, or they can use a single line or other combination of lines.  They can be simple or very complex.

This next bit is my personal take on it:
I think that creating workings like this, the caster takes into their own hands the ability to imbue their creation with the meaning they want.  If I am creating a rune based sigil, and I use a nine pointed crossing at the center, I could imbue it with the qualities of the nine worlds, or it could represent a tripled three which I could use to represent the Norns.  I do not think that simply because there is a representation of nine and that Hagalaz is the ninth rune that I would be invoking Hella with my working (but you could definitely choose to build it that way if that was your intention).
Check out my Patreon for more writing and other goodies!

SunflowerP

• Host
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2015, 02:04:41 am »
Quote from: Kylara;183313
The * form of Hagalaz comes from the Younger and Armenian rune sets, from everything I've read.

Aha, right you are! I'd forgotten to take the Younger Futhark into account:o. (I believe, though, that your second reference is to the [much more modern - early 20th century] Armanen runes, not Armenian.)

Thanks!

Sunflower

Kylara

• Staff
    • View Profile
    • https://www.patreon.com/kyndryana
  • Religion: Norse Fusion Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2015, 11:37:26 am »
Quote from: SunflowerP;183342
Aha, right you are! I'd forgotten to take the Younger Futhark into account:o. (I believe, though, that your second reference is to the [much more modern - early 20th century] Armanen runes, not Armenian.)

Thanks!

Sunflower

Oops, yes it is.  I always mistype that one (I think because I misread it the first time I saw it so my mind reads the word as Armenian now...)  I did mean Armanen though.
Check out my Patreon for more writing and other goodies!

Tags: