collapse

* Recent Posts

Author Topic: Are there women who work primarily with a male deity?  (Read 13804 times)

Morag

• Senior Staff
  • cranky witch mom
    • View Profile
    • Priestess of the 3
  • Religion: Priestess of the 3
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
Re: Are there women who work primarily with a male deity?
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2016, 12:56:54 am »
Quote from: Scales;185177
Shit, I'm changing my religion to Canadian.

MAPLE SYRUP FOR THE MAPLE GOD

Our temples are made out of hockey sticks and communion involves chugging syrup and gnawing on a twig.
Pray drunk. Hex sober.
Priestess of the 3
"The most powerful god at any given moment is the one who can solve the moment's problem."
-Darkhawk

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2016, 01:51:41 am »
Quote from: Morag;185181
... and communion involves chugging syrup and gnawing on a twig.

Take off, hoser! It's like, beer and back bacon, eh!

:D:

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; UU; CoX; Etc
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, they, she
« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2016, 12:42:44 pm »
Quote from: SunflowerP;185183
Take off, hoser! It's like, beer and back bacon, eh!

:D:

(Splitter!)

Speaking as an outsider to the tradition, I must ask, where does the poutine go?
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

Scales

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2016, 04:54:26 pm »
Quote from: Darkhawk;185215
(Splitter!)

Speaking as an outsider to the tradition, I must ask, where does the poutine go?

In the mouth

Sefiru

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2016, 06:18:36 pm »
Quote from: Morag;185181

Our temples are made out of hockey sticks

I attend a Canadian Tire myself. They hand out holy talismans with every purchase.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Me on AO3 & Deviantart

LadyDaemontus

• View Profile
    • Minxogynist Media on Wordpress
  • Religion: Pagan
« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2016, 09:45:25 am »
Quote from: Zephyrine;183152
I know Hecate, Isis, Bridget etc are popular deities for all Pagans -- particularly women. Are there any women who work to a significant degree with male deities?

Hello, new to this website. I work with Pan. And other male deities and just masculinity in general. I've had bad experiences with femininity, feminism, women etc. Been  bullied by other women and seeing the way many behave  has left a terrible taste in my mouth. I have no need for a sisterhood, so to speak so I am happy to work with male deities. As a tomboy especially, I can connect to masculine energy easier. ^_^

faye_cat

• View Profile
    • http://www.starsinthevoid.wordpress.com
« Reply #36 on: May 24, 2016, 05:36:59 pm »
I know Hecate, Isis, Bridget etc are popular deities for all Pagans -- particularly women. Are there any women who work to a significant degree with male deities?

I'm pretty balanced, I guess. I have a male deity I've been devoted to almost all my life, and a female deity I've been devoted to for a decade. I work with about 6 other male deities and 5 or so female deities.

I find that it changes as I change; it used to be primarily male, then primarily female, and now it's balanced. I usually have one deity really get my attention at a time, based on what is going on in my life at the time.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2016, 05:37:52 pm by faye_cat »

Typhonian

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 11, 2016, 07:09:47 pm »

I work with only male deities it seems. Seth, Anubis, Ra, and Anhur
Religious blog: Typhonian.
[/U]

Vixen

• Journeyman
  • We're all mad here
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Pagan
« Reply #38 on: November 14, 2016, 05:21:32 am »

I love how these old topics seem to come alive every now and then. I thoroughly enjoyed reading through this thread.

I can be a bit of a tomboy and a wildchild, but I am a woman through and through. I'm straight and never had any questions about my gender or sexuality. (Not that I'm not curious, but that doesn't limit itself to sexuality).
Being born into a roman catholic family I am very familiar with the paternal god. It has never repelled me though and now that I am finding my way into the pagan world I find myself drawn towards male Gods. There is a certain sense of protection, guidance and comfort that I get from male deities that I somehow lack from female deities.
Just as I look for a dominant but compassionate man in my life, I look* for the same qualities in my God.

At the moment I work with Cernunnos and Odin. Both very strong and intense personalities.

*looking for a God is a bit of a moot point as I've noticed that Gods tend to pick you in stead of the other way around.
You're only given a little spark of madness, you mustn't lose it.

Immortal

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 13, 2016, 11:29:50 pm »

I am a new Pagan coming from a lifetime of Fundamentalist Christianity. I was seeking goddesses because of my imbalances of being raised in a patriarchal religion and family. I wished to right the imbalance by only going for goddesses, but they had something else in mind. And I also have two gods i will be working with as well. I have a hard time seeing goddesses as powerful because they are women, being that my family of origin was so cruel to my mom as a woman and especially as a disabled woman.

That is why I chose to work with goddesses primarily and especially Brigid who I consider a fire goddess in my mind, because I am scared of fire god/desses being I consider the Christian god a fire god. To explain the concept probably mistakenly of fire god/desses  - they heal you with a fever rather than herbs... my strange idea probably.

I am going to get a tattoo of a geisha in order to honor my mom, not because of her ethnicity, but because my father always walks about ten feet in front of her when they are out etc.

I identify with being very masculine in nature but I like to dress very feminine. And my husband is very feminine in nature so we get along well with our role reversal. I would be a bisexual polyamourous person but my hubby is a heterosexual monogamist and he is my true love/absolute soul mate although I believe you can have more than one of those.

Quick question, not wanting to derail the thread, and I don't know if this is worthy of its own thread but, have you ever been turned on by a god/dess? I was for just a second, but when things like that happen to me, I just say that is my survival instincts kicking in, evolution and all... and I didn't attach any emotions to it. Will that be a problem?

Thanks, Immortal
Pagan/New Age Shaman wannabe, baby Druid, studying Wicca. I want to be an Interfaith Minister. I have been a Christian, a baby Buddhist and an atheist (kind of).

Obsidia

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Are there women who working primarily with a male deity?
« Reply #40 on: December 31, 2016, 02:58:09 am »
Quote from: Night Owl;183161
Well... I know that there are many others on this forum, but I have worked with Manannan mac Lir for a while now and I can honestly say that I can see no reason why the gender of a deity would have any bearing in whether I considered working with them.

Yes I'm female and work with the god Thor. He chose me and helped me on many tough, painful episodes of my life.

Emerlindian

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 22, 2017, 12:19:44 am »

I always connected more with goddesses, but I absolutely adore Odin and he's taken centre stage for me lately. I think it can be hard to connect with male deities at times because of how males in past have used them and their myths to control females.

I respect Odin for all he's sacrificed in the pursuit of knowledge and I consider him to be my wise teacher. He can be my annoying Yoda at times, talking in riddles and not giving me straight answers, but he's always there to help me learn.

Sorcha

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 22, 2017, 01:30:44 am »

Ooh, nice to see this thread revived. Right at this moment, my main focus is Brigid, but I have plans to begin working with Llyr and Gwynn ap Nudd in the spring. In general, I tend to think more about what the deity represents than what gender they are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shewhoseeks

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 03, 2017, 10:24:57 am »

I am currently mainly working with Djehuty, and reaching out to Hatmehyt, whose call I failed to understand some years ago.

Ladywhitewolf

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Polytheist Pagan
« Reply #44 on: March 12, 2017, 05:00:32 am »
Quote from: Sorcha;203063
Ooh, nice to see this thread revived. Right at this moment, my main focus is Brigid, but I have plans to begin working with Llyr and Gwynn ap Nudd in the spring. In general, I tend to think more about what the deity represents than what gender they are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I connect with both female and male deities.  My patron is the Egyptian God, Set.  I agree that it isn't the gender of the deity.  I connect with certain Gods and Goddesses because of what they represent. ( Also with Set, he was  appearing in my dreams).
-My paganspace page: http://www.paganspace.net/profile/whitewolf51
-My Pagan Playground page: http://www.pagan-playground.com/whitewolf-1
Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he\'ll be a mile away, and barefoot.

Tags: