Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: The Taste of Offerings When Consumed.  (Read 1498 times)

Riothamus12

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: The Nameless Path
  • Preferred Pronouns: He/Him/His
The Taste of Offerings When Consumed.
« on: December 01, 2015, 02:04:43 am »
To those of us who opt to dispose of offerings of food and drink by consuming them have you ever noticed anything different about the taste? I've noticed that at least for me, it seems as if they take on a a peculiar flavor. It's not staleness. All I can say is that it feels as if something is missing. The physical substance is still there, but something is missing. Has this happened to anyone else?
https://inthespiritofconversation.wordpress.com/
I started a blog. Feel free to peruse. It's still in it's early stages and I have to write more, so do bare with me if it's all a little basic so far.

keen

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • rotwork
  • Religion: fringe devotional polytheism, animism, spirit-working
Re: The Taste of Offerings When Consumed.
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2018, 02:57:44 am »
To those of us who opt to dispose of offerings of food and drink by consuming them have you ever noticed anything different about the taste? I've noticed that at least for me, it seems as if they take on a a peculiar flavor. It's not staleness. All I can say is that it feels as if something is missing. The physical substance is still there, but something is missing. Has this happened to anyone else?

(Another post necro to liven things up.)

I've noticed that food offerings tend to taste the faintest bit "flatter", you might say. Even if only left out for a few hours. According to one book I'd been reading on Dia De Muertos (before accidentally leaving it on a plane, argh), this is a commonly understood phenomenon in Mexico - I specifically remember a quote from a celebrant who spoke of the spirits eating the "essence" of the food offerings, which is why it's perfectly permissible to materially consume what's left when they're done with it.

For one reason or another, though, food offerings have never had the same potency for me as other things do across the board. (In fact, I think I'll make a thread about this.)
rotwork: on devotion to lesser-known and un-known gods, transplanting genus loci, art, and modernity

TheGreenWizard

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
Re: The Taste of Offerings When Consumed.
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2018, 06:20:18 pm »

For the drink offerings, when I revert them, the taste is... different, but not off. For example, I did an offering of wine recently (and I must remember to thank them once my issue is cleared) and tasted it afterwards and it tasted like a cleaner version of itself? It's hard to describe.

Food offerings I do not do - I have rabbits and they will find a way to eat them. Also, I'm in the city, and thus, don't want to invite the bugs.
“You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You're on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go...”
― Dr. Seuss, Oh, the Places You'll Go

Tags: