Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: "Replies" View?  (Read 6483 times)

AlisonLeighLilly

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
    • http://alisonleighlilly.com/
"Replies" View?
« on: July 04, 2011, 03:15:28 pm »
This may be a silly question... but is there something here on the new forum that's similar to the "view replies" link on the old TC forum, where it shows you a list of new posts for only those threads that you've participated in? I know in the "New Posts" view threads where you've posted have the little green arrow, but is there some way to get a separate list of only those threads?

--Ali
« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 03:03:09 pm by RandallS »

Juni

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
Re: "Replies" View?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2011, 03:32:01 pm »
Quote from: AlisonLeighLilly;801
I know in the "New Posts" view threads where you've posted have the little green arrow, but is there some way to get a separate list of only those threads?

If you click on Settings, the first section is "Subscribed Threads with New Posts."
Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013!

AlisonLeighLilly

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2011, 03:36:23 pm »
Quote from: Juni;825
If you click on Settings, the first section is "Subscribed Threads with New Posts."

So I checked that out originally, but it just says I'm not subscribed to any threads so it comes up empty.

I see there's a box to check under "Additional Options" to subscribe to a thread when you reply... Do I have to remember to do that manually every time I post, or is there a way to do that automatically?

(Sorry for being incompetent with forum technology! ::bashful:: )

--Ali

Juni

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2011, 03:42:12 pm »
Quote from: AlisonLeighLilly;831
I see there's a box to check under "Additional Options" to subscribe to a thread when you reply... Do I have to remember to do that manually every time I post, or is there a way to do that automatically?

In Settings, under General Settings, you can set your Default Thread Subscription Mode. That'll automatically set your preference for every thread you post in after you make the setting. In other threads- whether you've already replied and want to be notified, or if you want notification even if you're not participating, just go to the top of the thread where it says Thread Settings and select Subscribe To This Thread.

Hope that helps! And no worries- everyone has to learn it sometime!
Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013!

AlisonLeighLilly

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2011, 03:56:37 pm »
Quote from: Juni;834
In Settings, under General Settings, you can set your Default Thread Subscription Mode. That'll automatically set your preference for every thread you post in after you make the setting. In other threads- whether you've already replied and want to be notified, or if you want notification even if you're not participating, just go to the top of the thread where it says Thread Settings and select Subscribe To This Thread.

Hope that helps! And no worries- everyone has to learn it sometime!

Aha! Yes, that totally helps! Thank you. :) I'm going to give it a try now and see how it works.

--Ali

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2011, 04:16:12 pm »
Quote from: AlisonLeighLilly;801
I know in the "New Posts" view threads where you've posted have the little green arrow, but is there some way to get a separate list of only those threads?

Not that I'm aware of. I did not even know this feature existed on our previous boards (as I need to read every message out there). However, Lyric informed me yesterday that it did and she is very upset that that there does not appear to be such a feature here. Had I known such a thing existed and its absence  was going to be a problem, we never would have switched to vBulletin. Too late now, unfortunately.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

AlisonLeighLilly

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2011, 04:56:50 pm »
Quote from: RandallS;858
Not that I'm aware of. I did not even know this feature existed on our previous boards (as I need to read every message out there). However, Lyric informed me yesterday that it did and she is very upset that that there does not appear to be such a feature here. Had I known such a thing existed and its absence  was going to be a problem, we never would have switched to vBulletin. Too late now, unfortunately.

No worries, Randall! As Juni pointed out to me, you can change your settings to automatically subscribe to any thread you start and/or post in, and those then show up as "new posts in subscribed threads" under Settings (and also under the Quick Links drop down menu). Looks like this does pretty much the exact same thing as the "see replies" feature on the old board. :)

--Ali

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2011, 05:10:22 pm »
Quote from: AlisonLeighLilly;889
No worries, Randall! As Juni pointed out to me, you can change your settings to automatically subscribe to any thread you start and/or post in, and those then show up as "new posts in subscribed threads" under Settings (and also under the Quick Links drop down menu). Looks like this does pretty much the exact same thing as the "see replies" feature on the old board. :)

But don't you get emailed or PMed about new posts if you subscribe to the thread. That's how SMF worked, I believe. I suspect most people don't want their email or PM box flooded with "new reply to thread X" messages.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs

drekfletch

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Polytheist. Hellenic-ish
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2011, 05:26:32 pm »
Quote from: RandallS;902
But don't you get emailed or PMed about new posts if you subscribe to the thread. That's how SMF worked, I believe. I suspect most people don't want their email or PM box flooded with "new reply to thread X" messages.

There is an option along the lines of "only through the control menu" when setting automatic subscription.  This option is close to the "new to me" page on smf. (By 'new to me,' smf meant 'new in threads I've posted in')

I don't know how it works when subscribing manually.
There is no inherent meaning to life.  Stop looking and give your life meaning.
------------------------------------------
Chapter 91 of The Order War by L.E.Modesitt jr.  If I could quote the entire thing I would.

Juni

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2011, 05:34:08 pm »

I just tested this. If you set your notification on a thread to "instant email" or whatever the option is called, you will get an email *and* it shows up in your Subscribed Threads With New Posts when you click on Settings.

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2011, 05:39:01 pm »
Quote from: Juni;928
I just tested this. If you set your notification on a thread to "instant email" or whatever the option is called, you will get an email *and* it shows up in your Subscribed Threads With New Posts when you click on Settings.

That's how I remember it working on SMF. Lyric would want to to never send email but show up in a list she can view here on the board.  I guess I will have to find these settings and try them.
Randall

Juni

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2011, 05:40:24 pm »
Quote from: RandallS;937
That's how I remember it working on SMF. Lyric would want to to never send email but show up in a list she can view here on the board.  I guess I will have to find these settings and try them.

Then she can select "through my control panel only" and it'll show up under Settings, but not notify her via email.

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2011, 05:48:55 pm »
Quote from: Juni;939
Then she can select "through my control panel only" and it'll show up under Settings, but not notify her via email.

That sounds FANTASTIC. We'll try it.
Randall

LyricFox

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2011, 06:26:37 pm »

Hopefully this will work because you know what a problem it would be for your mostly absent co-host.
Visit The Breast Cancer Site & Click to fund free Mammograms
Hosts\' Store: Doxy\'s Bazaar (w/Pagan Items)
Need Web Hosting? See The Cheap Web Hosting Report

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2011, 07:10:01 pm »
Quote from: LyricFox;966
Hopefully this will work because you know what a problem it would be for your mostly absent co-host.

::fingers crossed::
Randall

Tags: