Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Mom in Law with Alzheimers  (Read 725 times)

Lionrhod

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
    • http://www.lionrhod.com
Mom in Law with Alzheimers
« on: November 27, 2015, 01:50:27 pm »
I adore my MIL! Hubby waited a year or two when we started dating to set up our first meet just right because she'd previously hated some of his exes.

Jan is an amazing woman and I love and respect her so much!

She's a former registered nurse, a gardener and foodie. Brilliant woman and from the moment we met, I was grateful to know her and be part of her life. She adores her son (my husband).

So then she started showing symptoms of alzheimers/dementia.

Hubby rushed back "home" to try to handle things and we've since lost our home in CO and returned to FL to handle stuff.

Long long story about people who prey on Alzheimers/Dementia/the elderly.

Anyhow we're now 3 years into the battle to get control back from a predatory legal guardian who took over the situation while we were new to the whole thing and didn't understand our legal rights, how to file a claim and so forth.

The good news is that though it has taken this long, we can finally afford legal representation.

In FL, you cannot be your own lawyer in situations of elder law - highly disastrous and annoying.

The last judge was ready to rule in our favor (the legal guardian has violated so may court rulings, it's amazing she can keep a practice). Sadly he retired just as our case went to court and the new judge has some wacky idea we are after MIL's money. (As if the court appointed guardian who has placed her in a substandard nursing home is not?)

While MIL's money would help to sustain HER, this isn't about this for us. Hubby is her only child, and loves her beyond anything, even me, I suspect (and that's ok with me - she's his mom after all!) Hubby is also adopted which makes him say, "She CHOSE me." Seriously this is an important bond!

Here's what I want- the ability to allow her to live out her life with people who love her. (To my knowledge the guardian has only met her once in 3 years! and certainly doesn't know/care.)

The ability for her to have programs/time/whatever to utilize her mind. Seriously, she's not allowed gardening or cooking and bingo is probably the most encouraged pursuit! Brains need input to keep functioning on a high level.

Prayers gratefully accepted!
When given a choice between black and white, choose purple.
SpellCraft Secrets: The Art of Creating Magic Spells Made Easy 2nd edition, revised
Dark Moon Gates - Pagan YA Fantasy
Nenfari - FREE Dark Sword & Sorcery
The Spider\'s Yule Gift - A Children\'s Folktale & Polish Pagan Holiday Traditions
My Website

Floofy Bunny

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Mom in Law with Alzheimers
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2015, 05:00:26 pm »
Quote from: Lionrhod;182878
So then she started showing symptoms of alzheimers/dementia...Prayers gratefully accepted!

Lionrhod, I am so sorry to hear this. While I do not have experience in this area, I send my prayers and well wishes your way.

Tags: