Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Questions About Espiritismo Cruzado  (Read 2616 times)

Riothamus12

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: The Nameless Path
  • Preferred Pronouns: He/Him/His
Questions About Espiritismo Cruzado
« on: November 27, 2015, 12:17:21 am »
I wasn't sure what section this should go under but I thought So recently I've been looking to this particular spiritual tradition and while there seems to be a fair deal of information out there, I am as of yet undecided as to whether I will pursue it. I don't know if anyone knows anything about this here or someone I can talk to about it so I figured starting a thread might at least give me a starting point.

I grew curious after I saw this article on Gods and Radicals. The author seems to be stating that it's an open tradition and that you do not need to be an adherent of Lucumi/Ifa/Santeria in order to follow it (something I've read from a few other sources).  I wanted to ask if anyone knew if this tradition is open? I don't want to just charge like someone who simply grabs at spiritual practices without any understanding.

I'm also descended from a number of European groups and the practice has it's origins in African Diasporic spirituality so I do not want to go about offending the people from whom Espiritismo originates. Secondly, if it is, is it something one can do the equivalent of reading a book, studying carefully then applying it? Also, if it does prove to be so, what do you do when your scared about what ancestors might come knocking? I come from an old family line with a history of violence. It's not so much my most recent ancestors I'm worried about, but It's a primary reason my ancestors and I don't talk much.

Yet events during Samhain seem to suggest that some of my ancestors may want to talk to me but I don't know any "advanced" techniques for doing so. Ancestor work has never been a huge feature of my practice primarily because it involves the souls of deceased mortals. I've only really worked with Deities and primordial Spirits.

However it was pointed out that instead of thinking of it as ancestor worship, I could see it as maintaining a relationship with them. Regardless of whether I seek to learn the ways of Espiritismo or not, does anyone have any advice to communing with their ancestors when they're scared about which ancestors might come calling?
« Last Edit: November 27, 2015, 08:00:12 am by RandallS »
https://inthespiritofconversation.wordpress.com/
I started a blog. Feel free to peruse. It's still in it's early stages and I have to write more, so do bare with me if it's all a little basic so far.

WanderingWaters2011

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Questions About Espiritismo Cruzado
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2015, 02:09:46 am »
Quote from: Riothamus12;182852

However it was pointed out that instead of thinking of it as ancestor worship, I could see it as maintaining a relationship with them. Regardless of whether I seek to learn the ways of Espiritismo or not, does anyone have any advice to communing with their ancestors when they're scared about which ancestors might come calling?

Espiritismo is not a practice of African Spirituality origin. During the slave trade, some groups of Africans started incorporating Espiritismo practices alongside their own spiritual practices as they encountered it at  various places within the Diaspora. Espiritismo is indeed a spiritual tradition in its own right and can be quite open. The Cruzado part usually indicates a type of Espiritismo heavily influenced by ATR/ADR Traditions like Palo or Lukumi/Santeria but other types of Espiritismo need not have these influences to as great a degree. Lukumi/Santeria has its own tradition of dealing with Ancestors apart from Espiritismo and some of it might prove useful here.

Espiritismo believes we all have a group of Spirits of the deceased that are particularly interested in each of us, that can protect us, aid us, counsel us... and seeks to identify just who these Spirits are for each individual. Some may be connected to us biologically and be true Ancestors, others may just have a resonanace with us for a number of reasons but all are beneficial to us. Some troublesome Spirits can be elevated within the practice to become more enlightened and positive, others you can just leave alone. Still some others won't leave you alone and not in a good way but there are remedies within the practice for that as well. Overal,l space is prepared in a way to minimalize the influence of negative Spirits and facilitate communion with the positive Spirits that can assist and aid you. Espiritismo deals with individual Spirits with their own names, identity, likes and dislikes, and purpose but who all have your welfare utmost in their being.

Lukumi/Santeria has a form of Ancestral Veneration that takes place at Egun Shrines. It is the concept of Egun that may prove helpful. Egun is approached as a collective of Ancestral Spirits as opposed to a number of individual Spirits. The totality of the wisdom and experiences of your own biological thread is tapped into with not one particular Ancestor outbalancing the others. You could create a general Ancestral Shrine for this purpose, not necessarily Lukumi in style, to honor Them as a whole where the err idiosyncrasies of some particular Ancestors will not be expressed.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 02:12:37 am by WanderingWaters2011 »

Tags: