collapse

Author Topic: Familiars  (Read 5840 times)

LunaStar

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Familiars
« on: November 17, 2015, 11:21:40 pm »
Any tips on how to get in touch?  I've been calling mine my whole life.  I feel the presence of my guardian angel daily, but I don't think that's the same as a familiar.  My guardian angel protects me from harm, whereas I always thought a familiar would assist me with my magic.  Have you found your familiar?  Does your familiar find you?

Faemon

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: Familiars
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2015, 12:34:27 am »
Quote from: LunaStar;182398
Any tips on how to get in touch?  I've been calling mine my whole life.  I feel the presence of my guardian angel daily, but I don't think that's the same as a familiar.  My guardian angel protects me from harm, whereas I always thought a familiar would assist me with my magic.  Have you found your familiar?  Does your familiar find you?

I think a guardian angel can still be a familiar, because it's an entity you feel the presence of daily: it is familiar. But I guess it can also depend on...a lot of things, such as where divine intervention and magic overlap or become distinct from one another, or the idea of intervention at all, whether magic is supernatural or natural.

As I've picked up from some new age psychics, if you want a guide to help you with something specific, then simply blah blah something something set the intention and feel out for who applies blah something something and meditation. Always meditation.

Personally, though, my familiars found me, when it was suddenly the right time, and only after encountering a lot of nastier entities or total absence. I want to think that it's a matter of wavelength or other conditions that are too complex to de-mystify 'cause ain't nobody got time for that, rather than "because it wasn't the right time yet" or "it wasn't good enough reason" to be code for "I'm a jerk. We're all neglectful, inchoate, sanctimonious jerks. Now that we're in your life let us guide you towards your heart's desires."
The Codex of Poesy: wishcraft, faelatry, alchemy, and other slight misspellings.
the Otherfaith: Chromatic Genderbending Faery Monarchs of Technology. DeviantArt

Floofy Bunny

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2015, 12:22:56 pm »
Quote from: Faemon;182403
I think a guardian angel can still be a familiar, because it's an entity you feel the presence of daily: it is familiar. But I guess it can also depend on...a lot of things, such as where divine intervention and magic overlap or become distinct from one another, or the idea of intervention at all, whether magic is supernatural or natural.

As I've picked up from some new age psychics, if you want a guide to help you with something specific, then simply blah blah something something set the intention and feel out for who applies blah something something and meditation. Always meditation.

Personally, though, my familiars found me, when it was suddenly the right time, and only after encountering a lot of nastier entities or total absence. I want to think that it's a matter of wavelength or other conditions that are too complex to de-mystify 'cause ain't nobody got time for that, rather than "because it wasn't the right time yet" or "it wasn't good enough reason" to be code for "I'm a jerk. We're all neglectful, inchoate, sanctimonious jerks. Now that we're in your life let us guide you towards your heart's desires."

I am curious - what makes something a familiar?

Gigi Kiersten

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • http://www.cheapskatewitch.com
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2015, 04:37:34 pm »

The closest thing to familiar I have is my house spirit. However, by Faemon's diffiention my house spirit (I call him sparky) could be one. I actually just mediated and focuesed on it and it glomped me! Of course, that might not work for everyone, but it couldn't help to try it out.

LunaStar

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2015, 07:13:32 pm »
Quote from: Faemon;182403

I'll have to give that some thought.  My angel is definitely familiar, and may very well be my familiar.  Or at least a familiar and I'm very thankful for their presence in my life.  Especially when I look back and see how many times they saved me in situations where it couldn't have been anything short of divine intervention of some sort.  

I like your view on timing and how it's due to the overwhelming complexity of the situation rather than it just not being the right time, which tends to be an easy cliche explanation.  My imagination is now running wild.

LunaStar

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2015, 07:17:04 pm »
Quote from: Floofy Bunny;182462

Have you ever made friends that you felt so connected to that they became your chosen family?  That's how I view familiars, but in another plane.  I imagine them as a familiar connection to the other side, where magick lives.  I suppose by my own definition, my guardian angel is a familiar.  I've experienced the presence of faeries as well, but never have been able to establish a personal relationship with them.  If I could, I would consider that a familiar relationship.

Faemon

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2015, 10:22:45 pm »
Quote from: Floofy Bunny;182462

Intuitive, but difficult to explain. Basically...Do you know (name)? If you can answer, "Yes." Instead of "I know of (name) but we're not that close." Then that's familiar. I'd even include if you've met them once before, and go, "Huh, this (entity/person/feeling) is awfully familiar..." Well, that's probably because they are. :p
The Codex of Poesy: wishcraft, faelatry, alchemy, and other slight misspellings.
the Otherfaith: Chromatic Genderbending Faery Monarchs of Technology. DeviantArt

Juniperberry

• Grand Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2015, 11:39:48 pm »

In Norse/Germanic mythology, the fylgja is similar to the concept of the familiar. The fylgja is your animal attendant, born with you via the placenta. It exists in spirit, and isn't generally visible to the individual until the time of that person's death. However, it can be visible to others, especially in dreams. There can be some experimenting with the fylgja (animal soul) assisting you in magic in a more abstract sense than that of a present and physical animal.

Also of interest, if you kill a animal predator and devour it (think bear or wolf), you will retain some of it's spirit. This is thought to be part of the mythology of berserkers and shape-shifters.
The pace of progress in artificial intelligence (I’m not referring to narrow AI) is incredibly fast. [...] The risk of something seriously dangerous happening is in the five year timeframe. 10 years at most.--Elon Musk

I am in the camp that is concerned about super intelligence," [Bill] Gates wrote. "First the machines will do a lot of jobs for us and not be super intelligent. That should be positive if we manage it well. A few decades after that though the intelligence is strong enough to be a concern. I agree with Elon Musk and some others on this and don\'t understand why some people are not concerned."

LunaStar

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2015, 11:45:20 pm »
Quote from: Juniperberry;182472
In Norse/Germanic mythology, the fylgja is similar to the concept of the familiar. The fylgja is your animal attendant, born with you via the placenta. It exists in spirit, and isn't generally visible to the individual until the time of that person's death. However, it can be visible to others, especially in dreams. There can be some experimenting with the fylgja (animal soul) assisting you in magic in a more abstract sense than that of a present and physical animal.

Very interesting.  Reminds me of a vision I had a few years ago.

Floofy Bunny

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2015, 09:46:16 am »
Quote from: Juniperberry;182472

Also of interest, if you kill a animal predator and devour it (think bear or wolf), you will retain some of it's spirit. This is thought to be part of the mythology of berserkers and shape-shifters.

So is this where the idea of a familiar in the pop culture sense of say a black cat to a witch comes from?

Floofy Bunny

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2015, 09:47:17 am »
Quote from: LunaStar;182469
Have you ever made friends that you felt so connected to that they became your chosen family?  That's how I view familiars, but in another plane.  I imagine them as a familiar connection to the other side, where magick lives.  I suppose by my own definition, my guardian angel is a familiar.  I've experienced the presence of faeries as well, but never have been able to establish a personal relationship with them.  If I could, I would consider that a familiar relationship.

Quote from: Faemon;182470
Intuitive, but difficult to explain. Basically...Do you know (name)? If you can answer, "Yes." Instead of "I know of (name) but we're not that close." Then that's familiar. I'd even include if you've met them once before, and go, "Huh, this (entity/person/feeling) is awfully familiar..." Well, that's probably because they are. :p

Thank you for answering my question, LunaStar and Faemon! Also, so just learned a new trick on multi-quoting. #winning

Juniperberry

• Grand Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2015, 10:49:36 am »
Quote from: Floofy Bunny;182479
So is this where the idea of a familiar in the pop culture sense of say a black cat to a witch comes from?

Some would say that it was definitely an influence, especially if we're talking about a more classical English idea of witches and witchcraft. Of course the Anglo-Saxons were Germanic. Even the Weird Sisters, the three witches stirring the roiling cauldron  in Shakespeare's Macbeth, were influenced by the Germanic Norns, three supernatural natural women who preside over the roiling well of Urd (wyrd).
« Last Edit: November 20, 2015, 10:53:13 am by Juniperberry »
The pace of progress in artificial intelligence (I’m not referring to narrow AI) is incredibly fast. [...] The risk of something seriously dangerous happening is in the five year timeframe. 10 years at most.--Elon Musk

I am in the camp that is concerned about super intelligence," [Bill] Gates wrote. "First the machines will do a lot of jobs for us and not be super intelligent. That should be positive if we manage it well. A few decades after that though the intelligence is strong enough to be a concern. I agree with Elon Musk and some others on this and don\'t understand why some people are not concerned."

LunaStar

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2015, 01:40:45 pm »
Quote from: Floofy Bunny;182480
Thank you for answering my question, LunaStar and Faemon! Also, so just learned a new trick on multi-quoting. #winning

Oooh can you show me how? :)

LunaStar

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2015, 01:47:21 pm »
Quote from: Faemon;182470
I'd even include if you've met them once before, and go, "Huh, this (entity/person/feeling) is awfully familiar..." Well, that's probably because they are. :p

I suppose that could be the first step towards establishing a familiar relationship.  Sometimes when I meditate in the forest, I feel the presence of faeries.  Next time I'll pay more attention to whether they are ones I've encountered before!

Floofy Bunny

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2015, 02:45:51 pm »
Quote from: LunaStar;182485
Oooh can you show me how? :)

Well, I was making it more effort than it needed to be by cutting and pasting from multiples, blah, blah, blah. So since I wanted to respond to both you and Faemon in a single post, I tried the button on the bottom right hand corner of your response post - it's a dialogue box with quotations with a plus mark under it. I clicked that, then I clicked the reply with quote to Faemon's response, and it copied your response in along with Faemon's. Much easier than what I have been doing!

Tags: