Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Any pop culture pagans here?  (Read 13549 times)

Aubren

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Any pop culture pagans here?
« on: November 17, 2015, 06:47:48 am »
I'm looking for pop-culture pagans here I can talk to.
Tumblr has the biggest community, but it seems more Pop-Culture Magic with a PCP founding. Plus, there's a "scattered" feel to it, probably due to all the online harassment.
And all of the "voices of reason" seem to be teenagers who act immaturely. Or rather, they try to act mature, but I don't think they're mature because I can see gaps. And I don't want to be part of a community where the people everyone turns to seem mentally younger than me- especially in a space where that's not required.

So yeah, the atmosphere is a lot calmer here. Any teens or adults that are PCP? What media do you incorporate into your religion?

I've done more MLP than anything, but it's weird- I'm not a part of the fandom anymore, but I still feel somewhat religiously inclined to it.
I've thought about incorporating Steven Universe pcm & maybe pcp.
Most recently, I've taken serious consideration into working with a Gravity Fall's character for the sake of spiritual development.
GF fans, you get no prizes for guesses XD
Wazhazhe

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
Re: Any pop culture pagans here?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2015, 07:53:09 am »
Quote from: Aubren;182349

What are " pop-culture pagans"? :confused:
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

DemeterDelusion

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2015, 10:10:11 am »
Quote from: RandallS;182352

The general idea to take ideas or figures from pop culture materials and incorporate them into magical or pagan-like practices. It can range from literally worshiping a fictional character as some sort of deity to just creating a simple spell or ritual inspired by a pop culture concept. Needless to say, PCP very popular in the Tumblr witchy-pagan community.

Personally, I dabble a little bit in pop culture paganism by incorporating a few fantasy video game religious concepts into my practice, but that's as far as it goes.

Jabberwocky

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2015, 11:46:40 am »

So yeah, the atmosphere is a lot calmer here. Any teens or adults that are PCP? What media do you incorporate into your religion?

I'm an occultist, rather than a pagan. So my work with pop culture is primarily about my practise, as opposed to being religious.

But I've done a fair bit.  I've worked with Don Quixote as a kind of inspirational icon.  Lots and lots of work with Robin Hood, if you count that as pop culture.  I'm heavily influenced by The Situationist Manifesto which probably counts. And my magico-ideological perspective is heavily shaded by the views of House Tytalus from the Ars Magica RPG.
Your heart is a muscle as big as your fist.

Aubren

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2015, 08:20:45 pm »
Quote from: Jabberwocky;182373
Lots and lots of work with Robin Hood, if you count that as pop culture.
Now, that's a really interesting question.

Where does is the line between folklore paganism and PCP drawn?
« Last Edit: November 17, 2015, 08:21:09 pm by Aubren »
Wazhazhe

Aubren

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2015, 08:22:35 pm »
Quote from: RandallS;182352

That's funny, I could've sworn I've seen you post in one of the other PCP threads. Of course, all of them were from a year and two back.
Wazhazhe

LunaStar

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2015, 11:05:45 pm »
Tumblr has the biggest community, but it seems more Pop-Culture Magic with a PCP founding. Plus, there's a "scattered" feel to it, probably due to all the online harassment.
And all of the "voices of reason" seem to be teenagers who act immaturely. Or rather, they try to act mature, but I don't think they're mature because I can see gaps. And I don't want to be part of a community where the people everyone turns to seem mentally younger than me- especially in a space where that's not required.

I've done more MLP than anything, but it's weird- I'm not a part of the fandom anymore, but I still feel somewhat religiously inclined to it.
Most recently, I've taken serious consideration into working with a Gravity Fall's character for the sake of spiritual development.

I have the same issue with Tumblr.  Though I really like how visual it is and it inspired me to dabble into photograph magic.  It's really interesting how practicing magic has become more or less a trend amongst the youth.  I personally think it's awesome for the most part.  I don't identify as pagan but rather as a witch.  While I don't exclusively practice pop-culture magic, I have performed a few spells from the perspective of fictional characters.  I'm also very interested in technopaganism (or technowitchcraft I suppose...).

Emma Eldritch

• Staff
    • View Profile
    • https://rocknrollwitch.blogspot.ca/
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2015, 11:29:38 pm »

I'm not a pop culture pagan, but I do use chaos magic and so have used fictional characters in magic before. (I'm in my thirties, for the record.)

I personally could not ever touch MLP because I know too many people who work on that show (I work in animation) but from what I understand Gravity Falls and Stephen Universe hit a lot of people in the emotions, so they seem pretty potent. I say give it a shot, see what happens.

Emma Eldritch

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2015, 11:31:45 pm »
Quote from: LunaStar;182395
I have the same issue with Tumblr.  Though I really like how visual it is and it inspired me to dabble into photograph magic.  It's really interesting how practicing magic has become more or less a trend amongst the youth.  I personally think it's awesome for the most part.

In spite of being old and cranky and prone to telling kids to get off my (fictional) lawn, I think it's great, too. I mean, if it weren't for pop culture I would never have gotten into magic in the 90s! (Thank you, The Craft.)

Some of these kids are gonna drift away because magic's a lot of work, and that's fine. But some will stick around and bring new energy and possibly ideas to the community. I think that's cool.

Faemon

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2015, 12:16:46 am »
Any teens or adults that are PCP? What media do you incorporate into your religion?

My sort of Faelatry takes influence from everything between whatever I can find out about occidental low mythologies, and most of whatever's had a fairy in it recently. My approach has been heavily influenced by modes of literary analysis and psychospirituality.

The novel version of Peter Pan by J.M. Barrie is as close to a canon text as I've gotten, and it's interesting to analyze, whether that's the in-text problem with classism, or modern interpretations of Neverland that weren't in the source material (that is, people could grow up and old there, it was just "against the rules" when it came to Lost Boys.)

Frances Hodgson Burnett's A Little Princess and The Secret Garden, I keep thinking are going to be the next thing I explore. They don't have fairies, but there's a lot about magic, and I think the latter articulates some predecessor to New Thought.

For those who feel an absence of a monist feminine divinity, I think it's also interesting that George MacDonald elevated a witchy sort of archetype to coded deityhood in The Princess and the Goblins.

Hans Christian Andersen's fairy tales are spells.

I don't think that's weird. There are casual viewers, there are fans, and then there's fandom fans. Almost inevitably, pop culture pagans would stand as apart from those categories as those categories would from one another. It's not weird whether there's overlap or not.
The Codex of Poesy: wishcraft, faelatry, alchemy, and other slight misspellings.
the Otherfaith: Chromatic Genderbending Faery Monarchs of Technology. DeviantArt

Aubren

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2015, 12:41:12 am »
Quote from: LunaStar;182395
I have the same issue with Tumblr.  Though I really like how visual it is and it inspired me to dabble into photograph magic.  It's really interesting how practicing magic has become more or less a trend amongst the youth.  I personally think it's awesome for the most part.  I don't identify as pagan but rather as a witch.

The visual I like. Very much, yes.
But the magic...eh.
The thing is, as I've stated before, is that the majority of Tumblr pop-culture-pagans are also magic users.
I use magic seldomly. And when I do, it's not in your typical way. I rarely use items.

My focus is more on working with characters. Asking Twilight Sparkle to help me with friendship, for example. Or considering working with Bill Cipher for astral travel (that one probably warrants a new topic entirely.)

And I'm okay with pcm. It's just that pcp!Tumblr is so pcm. It's straight up dominated by it, the majority of it is pcm. And I can't quite find that minority niche for non-witches or even just being really open to non-magic/other practices. The closest to that I can find are from pcp-allies.
It doesn't help that a lot of the links & users seem to have been deleted.

As far as magic using youth goes, it really boils down to lack of control in the environment. The economy & ageist culture makes it hard for adolescents & young legal adults to have a sense of autonomy. It's actually the only reason why I use magic and why my usage has been increasing: so that I can get my way so that I can have a somewhat stable life.

While I don't exclusively practice pop-culture magic, I have performed a few spells from the perspective of fictional characters.  I'm also very interested in technopaganism (or technowitchcraft I suppose...).

From their perspective?
Technopagan/witchcraft?
Wazhazhe

Aubren

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2015, 12:48:43 am »
Quote from: Mama Fortuna;182399
I'm not a pop culture pagan, but I do use chaos magic and so have used fictional characters in magic before. (I'm in my thirties, for the record.)

I personally could not ever touch MLP because I know too many people who work on that show (I work in animation) but from what I understand Gravity Falls and Stephen Universe hit a lot of people in the emotions, so they seem pretty potent. I say give it a shot, see what happens.

Not even Discord? XD

I probably shouldn't ask this, but I've always wondered how they screwed up Over The Barrel even with a Native American consultant.

*Steven

GF & SU are shows adults can really enjoy. They know what they're doing (especially SU).

I say give it a shot, see what happens.

I wasn't asking? *confused*.
Wazhazhe

Aubren

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2015, 01:08:25 am »
Quote from: Faemon;182402
My sort of Faelatry takes influence from everything between whatever I can find out about occidental low mythologies, and most of whatever's had a fairy in it recently. My approach has been heavily influenced by modes of literary analysis and psychospirituality.

The novel version of Peter Pan by J.M. Barrie is as close to a canon text as I've gotten, and it's interesting to analyze, whether that's the in-text problem with classism, or modern interpretations of Neverland that weren't in the source material (that is, people could grow up and old there, it was just "against the rules" when it came to Lost Boys.)

Frances Hodgson Burnett's A Little Princess and The Secret Garden, I keep thinking are going to be the next thing I explore. They don't have fairies, but there's a lot about magic, and I think the latter articulates some predecessor to New Thought.

For those who feel an absence of a monist feminine divinity, I think it's also interesting that George MacDonald elevated a witchy sort of archetype to coded deityhood in The Princess and the Goblins.

Hans Christian Andersen's fairy tales are spells.
I find this...slightly fascinating. I want to say more, but I can't think of anything to say. My mind just keeps going to other all of the shows, video games, and other media with fae in them.

I don't think that's weird. There are casual viewers, there are fans, and then there's fandom fans. Almost inevitably, pop culture pagans would stand as apart from those categories as those categories would from one another. It's not weird whether there's overlap or not.

Let me rephrase that.
I was a brony, and then I grew uncomfortable with some obvious racist and ableist aspects in the show.

And while looking to validate these feelings, I found an Odinist leader who is a brony and uses MLP to support his nazi-cult. I think his name was Buttercup.

And I read his interview, and some of his own writings on his website.
And he was completely right. My Little Pony, which was heralded as potentially being the feminist, multicultural show with no race was actually very Eurocentric, sexist, ableist, and racist.

I was devastated.

It started as a cute medieval-esque fantasy for girls and turned into...well, a monstrosity of a show written by white American old men.

Yeah.

I can't tell if it's an actual calling or nostalgia.

But your response is valid. With any other show, (or rather, with the way I had originally described it & made it sound) what you said would be spot on. Or maybe it still is. Perhaps this is like being called to a regional pantheon but disliking the mythology. Am I far off?
« Last Edit: November 18, 2015, 01:11:07 am by Aubren »
Wazhazhe

Emma Eldritch

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2015, 01:14:57 am »
Quote from: Aubren;182405

Not even Discord? XD

Nope. I actually watch very few cartoons. XD

I probably shouldn't ask this, but I've always wondered how they screwed up Over The Barrel even with a Native American consultant.

That sounds like something on the writer's end. We just handle the actual animation up here and are generally as in the dark as anyone else when it comes to the scripts.

GF & SU are shows adults can really enjoy. They know what they're doing (especially SU)

A good friend of mine loooooves both of them. I personally think I might like GF, but SU sounds way too happy for me. I prefer my entertainment to skew towards things where every character is sort of horrible and there's no kind and loving moral. Venture Bros. remains my favourite cartoon. (Life goals: becoming Dr. Orpheus.)

I wasn't asking? *confused*.

Oh, I'm sorry, I thought you said you were thinking of working with particular characters from SU and GF. I was just thinking if you had not yet done it, hey, fuck it, you should try it out if you feel the urge. What have you got to lose, you know? My apologies, I must have read that wrong.

Faemon

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2015, 01:39:03 am »
Quote from: Aubren;182406
I find this...slightly fascinating. I want to say more, but I can't think of anything to say. My mind just keeps going to other all of the shows, video games, and other media with fae in them.

No pressure! It's a pretty broad scope. :p Another important distinction is probably that traditional fairies don't like being called fairies, whereas my fairies have no preference. I only keep calling them fairies because it's maybe somewhat sorta like it close enough. My fairyland's generally "otherworlds with nonhuman people" so, I could mesh Equestria easily in there, were I called to it. I watched the first season and the movie and generally liked it, but not what's known in these forums as getting "thwapped".

I suppose it's also partly balancing what distinguishes the settings. I think it was Keightley who wrote that Scandinavian fairies don't like bells whereas British Isles fairies do (or is it the other way around?) and I do that same balancing act in pondering the different natures, of, say, Tinkerbell and Thumbelina. I believe in both (for the given value of belief) but they appear to be associated with irreconcilably different realities, so it isn't as simple to me yet as that connotation (or implication) changes with context.

Perhaps this is like being called to a regional pantheon but disliking the mythology. Am I far off?

I get that. From a literary standpoint, once it gets to an audience, then the ideas sort of belong to the audience. But the sacred symbolisms consolidated in or reiterated through pop culture media would have one major problem that public domain mythology wouldn't, which is where the money goes. If attention can be converted to funding, then, yes, I understand not wanting to continue watching and supporting a show that carries a lot of bad messages, even though it also has a few good and resonant ones, and even though analysis and criticism are part of how the artisticness of artistic work becomes fully actualized. (I suppose the equivalent of what keeps a faith alive.)
The Codex of Poesy: wishcraft, faelatry, alchemy, and other slight misspellings.
the Otherfaith: Chromatic Genderbending Faery Monarchs of Technology. DeviantArt

Tags: