+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9
    Senior Apprentice Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points
    Tetris Champion, Snake Champion, Hexxagon Champion, Breakout Champion, Cell-Out Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Fishing the Sea Champion DemeterDelusion is on a distinguished road DemeterDelusion's Avatar
    Last Online
    26 Apr 2017 @ 06:24 PM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Hard Polytheist

Re: Any pop culture pagans here?

Quote Originally Posted by Aubren View Post
    What blogs did you follow?
    I followed the tags more than individual blogs, actually! I probably wouldn't have been able to follow this thread nearly as well if I hadn't--modern cartoons really aren't my thing, but I know the basics stuff like Gravity Falls and Steven Universe thanks to their sheer popularity in tumblr PCP tags.

Technically, there were also a couple blogs I followed specifically for The Elder Scrolls and Dragon Age series, but I have no idea if they're still around and they were more like shrines to specific characters than anything else. I deleted my tumblr account, so I can't check anymore.

And I did compare them, but I don't actually see stuff like that. Like, I haven't seen a tumblr post comparing Bill Cipher to Discord; which is VERY common on say, YouTube.

-snip-

I think the main problem I have with PCP Tumblr is that they apply the characters magically more often than not. Either that or working with them.
    Very true, Tumblr PCP is definitely less prone to character analysis than other places on the internet. It's actually a bit odd, seeing as Tumblr is home to *so much meta* outside of PCP.

To paraphrase a discussion I had in real life about magic earlier this year: spells are often the easiest thing to find, but the last thing anyone needs to learn. It wouldn't surprise me if many tumblr users simply find PCM easier to write, too. A good chunk of PCP on Tumblr can be boiled down to "here's a spell inspired by [character/object]" without serious discussion on how or why it works. It's fine for people that like that sort of thing, but I think it's safe to say that's what neither of us look for in PCP.

In retrospect, my first post in this thread was wrong, as there's actually a lot of PCP in my personal practice.

A good chunk of my PCP worship is based on pulp era and Golden Age science fiction, which tends to focus on incredible situations or commentary on the human condition as a whole instead of on individual character arcs. As such, I tend to correlate things like in-universe cultural concepts into my practice instead of "working with" or otherwise honoring specific characters. It's gotten to the point where I just disassociate what I do with PCP, partially because it's very dated material and partially because so much discussion and ideas within PCP are completely irreverent to my needs. Wouldn't trade it for the world, though.

That being said, I should clarify that character-based PCP isn't bad! Heck, I even do character stuff. F'ex, I was introduced to one of my biggest patrons, Nemesis, through analyzing Asimov's novel of the same name. While the book's Nemesis is a setting rather than a character, I have done rituals (and once, her festival) based on characters from within the work itself. In addition to being spiritually satisfying and helpful in expanding my relationship with Nemesis herself, it's just plain fun.

It's all just a matter of perspective at the end of the day.
    Last edited by DemeterDelusion; 29 Nov 2015 at 04:51 AM. Reason: typo

Master Member Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Scales will become famous soon enough Scales's Avatar
    Last Online
    11 Nov 2016 @ 04:06 PM
    Country
    Canada
    Religion
    Canadian
    Pronouns
    He or They

I'm looking for pop-culture pagans here I can talk to.
    Tumblr has the biggest community, but it seems more Pop-Culture Magic with a PCP founding. Plus, there's a "scattered" feel to it, probably due to all the online harassment.

[...]

So yeah, the atmosphere is a lot calmer here. Any teens or adults that are PCP? What media do you incorporate into your religion?

I've done more MLP than anything, but it's weird- I'm not a part of the fandom anymore, but I still feel somewhat religiously inclined to it.
    I've thought about incorporating Steven Universe pcm & maybe pcp.
    Most recently, I've taken serious consideration into working with a Gravity Fall's character for the sake of spiritual development.
    GF fans, you get no prizes for guesses XD
    I'm not exactly religious (sorry, since I know that's what you're seeing on tumblr), but I do (and think about) a lot of pop culture witchcraft, much of which is related to thoughtforms and such, which I think puts me part way between pop culture paganism and pop culture spells.

I'm currently working on some Totoro related things, and I've also been thinking SU. I've done some sigil work based off A Series of Unfortunate Events and Harry Potter.

Oh, and for reference, I'm 22.

Off to catch up on the thread.

Journeyman Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience PointsTagger Second ClassYour first Group
    Aubren is an unknown quantity at this point Aubren's Avatar
    Last Online
    30 Dec 2015 @ 03:01 AM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Eclectic Polytheist
    Pronouns
    they/them/their

Quote Originally Posted by LunaStar View Post
    You may want to start a group on PCP on this site. It may help you connect with other PCP and/or ead the word about this to many who may be interested.
    Alrighty. I've been too busy to reply to this thread until now. Anyways, I took your advice and made a group. Since this thread is entirely about finding pop culture pagans to associate with on ecauldron, I figured it'd be appropriate to advertise the group here. http://ecauldron.com/forum/group.php?groupid=78
    Wazhazhe

Newbie Pusheen is on a distinguished road Pusheen's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:35 PM
    Country
    Canada
    Religion
    Heathenism
    Pronouns
    They/them

Tumblr has the biggest community, but it seems more Pop-Culture Magic with a PCP founding. Plus, there's a "scattered" feel to it, probably due to all the online harassment.
    And all of the "voices of reason" seem to be teenagers who act immaturely. Or rather, they try to act mature, but I don't think they're mature because I can see gaps. And I don't want to be part of a community where the people everyone turns to seem mentally younger than me- especially in a space where that's not required.

So yeah, the atmosphere is a lot calmer here. Any teens or adults that are PCP? What media do you incorporate into your religion?

I've done more MLP than anything, but it's weird- I'm not a part of the fandom anymore, but I still feel somewhat religiously inclined to it.
    Most recently, I've taken serious consideration into working with a Gravity Fall's character for the sake of spiritual development.
    PCP would be amazing to explore especially with the SCP (Secure. Contain. Protect.) creepypastas and video games like the Elder Scroll series. The things that could be done is awesome... thank you for some food for thought and giving me something new to explore
    Devotee of Thor and a huge nerd

Senior Apprentice Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points
    Tetris Champion, Snake Champion, Hexxagon Champion, Breakout Champion, Cell-Out Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Fishing the Sea Champion DemeterDelusion is on a distinguished road DemeterDelusion's Avatar
    Last Online
    26 Apr 2017 @ 06:24 PM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Hard Polytheist

Quote Originally Posted by Pusheen View Post
    PCP would be amazing to explore especially with the SCP (Secure. Contain. Protect.) creepypastas and video games like the Elder Scroll series. The things that could be done is awesome... thank you for some food for thought and giving me something new to explore
    I love everything about the idea of PCP work involving SCP creepypasta, especially the stuff that is location or object based (f'ex, 087 or 093). Given the cold and calculating nature of the Foundation itself, the stories could be a fantastic basis for meditation or grounding rituals.

... I may or may not experiment with this in the future.

Apprentice Achievements:
    3 months registered250 Experience Points
    Cinder is on a distinguished road Cinder's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:55 AM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Kemetic polytheist
    Pronouns
    She/her/hers

And all of the "voices of reason" seem to be teenagers who act immaturely. Or rather, they try to act mature, but I don't think they're mature because I can see gaps. And I don't want to be part of a community where the people everyone turns to seem mentally younger than me- especially in a space where that's not required.

I want to incorporate PCP into my spirituality, but I'm having trouble parsing exactly how. Disregarding questions of maturity, it seems pretty much impossible to find anyone on Tumblr who wants to work with or discuss any of the books I would in a PCP context. Or if there was, they deleted their blog during the harassment.

I'm 20 and I'm mainly interested in G.R.R.M's A Song of Ice and Fire (the T.V series is Game of Thrones). I have 1/4 baked (as in, not even half-baked) ideas of how I want to work with/honor Tyrion in particular. I wrote a "Game of Thrones" and Watership Down PCP post a while ago if anyone's seen it. (Probably not, it only got like 30 notes XD).

Which actually reminds me that I'm interested in PCP incorporating Watership Down . The Black Rabbit of Inle, Frith, and El Ahrairah (trickster, anyone?) in particular.

The more I think about it, the more I'd be interested exploring other things as well, though. Although I only ever see Spirited Away in PCM (and rarely, at that) I think it has some interesting things to say about identity, the natural environment, and love (and that's just off the top of my head- I'm sure there's more).

Newbie Pusheen is on a distinguished road Pusheen's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:35 PM
    Country
    Canada
    Religion
    Heathenism
    Pronouns
    They/them

Quote Originally Posted by DemeterDelusion View Post
    I love everything about the idea of PCP work involving SCP creepypasta, especially the stuff that is location or object based (f'ex, 087 or 093). Given the cold and calculating nature of the Foundation itself, the stories could be a fantastic basis for meditation or grounding rituals.

... I may or may not experiment with this in the future.
    Or applying the abilities of some SCPs to the craft. Honestly my first thought was incorporating 106 with corrosion of materials and applying that ability to corrode some that is holding you back or a toxic relationship.

Grounding rituals involving the Foundation is something I have never considered. You have inspired my to work some new things into my practice
    Devotee of Thor and a huge nerd

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9