30 Dec 2015 @ 03:01 AM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Eclectic Polytheist
    Pronouns
    they/them/their

Any pop culture pagans here?

I'm looking for pop-culture pagans here I can talk to.
    Tumblr has the biggest community, but it seems more Pop-Culture Magic with a PCP founding. Plus, there's a "scattered" feel to it, probably due to all the online harassment.
    And all of the "voices of reason" seem to be teenagers who act immaturely. Or rather, they try to act mature, but I don't think they're mature because I can see gaps. And I don't want to be part of a community where the people everyone turns to seem mentally younger than me- especially in a space where that's not required.

So yeah, the atmosphere is a lot calmer here. Any teens or adults that are PCP? What media do you incorporate into your religion?

I've done more MLP than anything, but it's weird- I'm not a part of the fandom anymore, but I still feel somewhat religiously inclined to it.
    I've thought about incorporating Steven Universe pcm & maybe pcp.
    Most recently, I've taken serious consideration into working with a Gravity Fall's character for the sake of spiritual development.
    GF fans, you get no prizes for guesses XD
    Wazhazhe

Administrator Achievements:
    OverdriveRecommendation Second ClassTagger First ClassVeteranThree Friends
    RandallS has disabled reputation RandallS's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:21 AM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Hellenic Pagan
    Pronouns
    he/him/his

Re: Any pop culture pagans here?

Quote Originally Posted by Aubren View Post
    What are " pop-culture pagans"?
    Randall
    RetroRoleplaying [Blog] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
    Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
    Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host

Senior Apprentice Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points
    Tetris Champion, Snake Champion, Hexxagon Champion, Breakout Champion, Cell-Out Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Fishing the Sea Champion DemeterDelusion is on a distinguished road DemeterDelusion's Avatar
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:09 PM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Hard Polytheist

Quote Originally Posted by RandallS View Post
    The general idea to take ideas or figures from pop culture materials and incorporate them into magical or pagan-like practices. It can range from literally worshiping a fictional character as some sort of deity to just creating a simple spell or ritual inspired by a pop culture concept. Needless to say, PCP very popular in the Tumblr witchy-pagan community.

Personally, I dabble a little bit in pop culture paganism by incorporating a few fantasy video game religious concepts into my practice, but that's as far as it goes.

Master Member Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Jabberwocky is a glorious beacon of light Jabberwocky is a glorious beacon of light Jabberwocky is a glorious beacon of light Jabberwocky is a glorious beacon of light Jabberwocky is a glorious beacon of light Jabberwocky's Avatar
    Last Online
    23 Apr 2017 @ 06:29 PM
    Country
    UK
    Religion
    English Dissenter

So yeah, the atmosphere is a lot calmer here. Any teens or adults that are PCP? What media do you incorporate into your religion?
    I'm an occultist, rather than a pagan. So my work with pop culture is primarily about my practise, as opposed to being religious.

But I've done a fair bit. I've worked with Don Quixote as a kind of inspirational icon. Lots and lots of work with Robin Hood, if you count that as pop culture. I'm heavily influenced by The Situationist Manifesto which probably counts. And my magico-ideological perspective is heavily shaded by the views of House Tytalus from the Ars Magica RPG.
    Your heart is a muscle as big as your fist.

Journeyman Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience PointsTagger Second ClassYour first Group
    Aubren is an unknown quantity at this point Aubren's Avatar
    Last Online
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Eclectic Polytheist
    Pronouns
    they/them/their

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky View Post
    Lots and lots of work with Robin Hood, if you count that as pop culture.
    Now, that's a really interesting question.

Where does is the line between folklore paganism and PCP drawn?
    Last edited by Aubren; 17 Nov 2015 at 07:21 PM. Reason: clarification
    Wazhazhe

Journeyman Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience PointsTagger Second ClassYour first Group
    Aubren is an unknown quantity at this point Aubren's Avatar
    Last Online
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Eclectic Polytheist
    Pronouns
    they/them/their

Quote Originally Posted by RandallS View Post
    That's funny, I could've sworn I've seen you post in one of the other PCP threads. Of course, all of them were from a year and two back.
    Wazhazhe

Journeyman Achievements:
    Your first GroupThree Friends500 Experience Points3 months registered
    LunaStar is on a distinguished road LunaStar's Avatar
    Last Online
    11 Apr 2016 @ 11:52 PM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    ~
    Pronouns
    they/theirs

Tumblr has the biggest community, but it seems more Pop-Culture Magic with a PCP founding. Plus, there's a "scattered" feel to it, probably due to all the online harassment.
    And all of the "voices of reason" seem to be teenagers who act immaturely. Or rather, they try to act mature, but I don't think they're mature because I can see gaps. And I don't want to be part of a community where the people everyone turns to seem mentally younger than me- especially in a space where that's not required.

I've done more MLP than anything, but it's weird- I'm not a part of the fandom anymore, but I still feel somewhat religiously inclined to it.
    Most recently, I've taken serious consideration into working with a Gravity Fall's character for the sake of spiritual development.
    I have the same issue with Tumblr. Though I really like how visual it is and it inspired me to dabble into photograph magic. It's really interesting how practicing magic has become more or less a trend amongst the youth. I personally think it's awesome for the most part. I don't identify as pagan but rather as a witch. While I don't exclusively practice pop-culture magic, I have performed a few spells from the perspective of fictional characters. I'm also very interested in technopaganism (or technowitchcraft I suppose...).

Staff Achievements:
    VeteranThree Friends5000 Experience Points
    Emma Eldritch is a glorious beacon of light Emma Eldritch is a glorious beacon of light Emma Eldritch is a glorious beacon of light Emma Eldritch is a glorious beacon of light Emma Eldritch is a glorious beacon of light Emma Eldritch is a glorious beacon of light Emma Eldritch's Avatar
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:26 PM
    Country
    Canada
    Religion
    witchcraft
    Pronouns
    she/her/hers

I'm not a pop culture pagan, but I do use chaos magic and so have used fictional characters in magic before. (I'm in my thirties, for the record.)

I personally could not ever touch MLP because I know too many people who work on that show (I work in animation) but from what I understand Gravity Falls and Stephen Universe hit a lot of people in the emotions, so they seem pretty potent. I say give it a shot, see what happens.
    (the artist formerly known as Mama Fortuna)
    Rock-n-Roll Witch - the blog
    in the violet hour to the violent sound - the tumblr

Staff Achievements:
    VeteranThree Friends5000 Experience Points
    Emma Eldritch is a glorious beacon of light Emma Eldritch is a glorious beacon of light Emma Eldritch is a glorious beacon of light Emma Eldritch is a glorious beacon of light Emma Eldritch is a glorious beacon of light Emma Eldritch is a glorious beacon of light Emma Eldritch's Avatar
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:26 PM
    Country
    Canada
    Religion
    witchcraft
    Pronouns
    she/her/hers

Quote Originally Posted by LunaStar View Post
    I have the same issue with Tumblr. Though I really like how visual it is and it inspired me to dabble into photograph magic. It's really interesting how practicing magic has become more or less a trend amongst the youth. I personally think it's awesome for the most part.
    In spite of being old and cranky and prone to telling kids to get off my (fictional) lawn, I think it's great, too. I mean, if it weren't for pop culture I would never have gotten into magic in the 90s! (Thank you, The Craft.)

Some of these kids are gonna drift away because magic's a lot of work, and that's fine. But some will stick around and bring new energy and possibly ideas to the community. I think that's cool.
    (the artist formerly known as Mama Fortuna)
    Rock-n-Roll Witch - the blog
    in the violet hour to the violent sound - the tumblr

Grand Master Member Achievements:
    Your first GroupThree Friends5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Faemon is just really nice Faemon is just really nice Faemon is just really nice Faemon is just really nice Faemon's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:39 AM
    Country
    Philippines
    Religion
    Faelatry

Any teens or adults that are PCP? What media do you incorporate into your religion?
    My sort of Faelatry takes influence from everything between whatever I can find out about occidental low mythologies, and most of whatever's had a fairy in it recently. My approach has been heavily influenced by modes of literary analysis and psychospirituality.

The novel version of Peter Pan by J.M. Barrie is as close to a canon text as I've gotten, and it's interesting to analyze, whether that's the in-text problem with classism, or modern interpretations of Neverland that weren't in the source material (that is, people could grow up and old there, it was just "against the rules" when it came to Lost Boys.)

Frances Hodgson Burnett's A Little Princess and The Secret Garden, I keep thinking are going to be the next thing I explore. They don't have fairies, but there's a lot about magic, and I think the latter articulates some predecessor to New Thought.

For those who feel an absence of a monist feminine divinity, I think it's also interesting that George MacDonald elevated a witchy sort of archetype to coded deityhood in The Princess and the Goblins.

Hans Christian Andersen's fairy tales are spells.

I don't think that's weird. There are casual viewers, there are fans, and then there's fandom fans. Almost inevitably, pop culture pagans would stand as apart from those categories as those categories would from one another. It's not weird whether there's overlap or not.
    The Codex of Poesy: wishcraft, faelatry, alchemy, and other slight misspellings.
    the Otherfaith: Chromatic Genderbending Faery Monarchs of Technology. DeviantArt

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast