Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: As an American, I've been wondering  (Read 4564 times)

Castus

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Happy Science
Re: As an American, I've been wondering....
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2015, 10:42:04 am »
Quote from: sailor;182831
i'd add in India, and for Europe it would be post Roman conquest and or Christianization for most of trans-alpine Europe.  

Commonality seems to be a written language, although the Celtic Druids seem to be a possible exception.

Mhm, I forgot India; and you're correct about Europe.
“Castus, meanwhile, goes straight for the bad theology like one of those creepy fish that swims up streams of pee.” — Darkhawk

“Believing in the Lord means you are connected to me no matter when you are poor, sick, or struggling in a relationship. I am always with you. I want you to believe that. The future is uncertain, and much suffering awaits. However, the mission of the believer is to live life doing their best, no matter what the circumstances.” — Ryuho Okawa

Aubren

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2015, 01:42:30 am »
Quote from: PrincessKLS;182280
My country is so patriarchial, white hegemonied, Christian hegemonied, etc. I think a lot of it has to do with the European settlement/invansion from centuries before. How do you think it would've been like if the Europeans were initially kinder to the Native Americans and allowed them control of these North and South American lands?

So, as a Native American, let me enlighten you on some history here...

First off, European merchants came for slaves, gold, and land.

Then the invasive Europeans came to run away from their problems and recreate them!

In the Revolutionary War, England promised Natives some rights if they fought on their side. They promised sovreignity. Would they have fulfilled it? Well, are there any examples of this in Africa?

And lastly, Native Americans DO have land. They're called reservations. I'm Osage, and my nation is called the Osage Nation in English. It has full sovreignity, according to the U.S Federal Government & the Osage Government.

Oklahoma taxes us illegally, gets away with it, and calls us Osage County. We do not show up separately from the United States, like Canada & Mexico do.

Our military are also considered to be members of the U.S military first, if ever considered to be Osage military.

Does this answer your question?
« Last Edit: December 12, 2015, 01:43:06 am by Aubren »
Wazhazhe

Aubren

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2015, 01:55:28 am »
Quote from: mandrina;182648
It depnds on how much control was allowed.  there was no way the settlers were going to assimilate into native life,

Actually, that's quite untrue! There were so many runaways and happily-captive whites, that white settlements would have to demand that the Natives force them back!

And very rare was the Native who chose to live in white society after they had lived in it.

You ever heard of that "missing" white settlement? The Roanoke colony? Historical evidence suggests that they all assimilated with a nearby tribe. Some "pure blood" members had grey eyes, after all.

Reference for the first half: Lies My Teacher Told Me by James W. Loewen

Reference for the second:https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roanoke_Colony
Wazhazhe

mandrina

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2015, 05:05:28 pm »
Quote from: Aubren;183439
Actually, that's quite untrue! There were so many runaways and happily-captive whites, that white settlements would have to demand that the Natives force them back!

And very rare was the Native who chose to live in white society after they had lived in it.

You ever heard of that "missing" white settlement? The Roanoke colony? Historical evidence suggests that they all assimilated with a nearby tribe. Some "pure blood" members had grey eyes, after all.

Reference for the first half: Lies My Teacher Told Me by James W. Loewen

Reference for the second:https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roanoke_Colony

But the powerful hunk of immigrants didn't assimilate, they stayed and demanded the runaways back.  Not nearly enough of them ran away to join the natives.  Enough to be an annoyance, not enough to make a difference.

I agree with you that Britain probably wouldn;t have kept their promises any better than the US has.  I have no idea how to deal with OKlahoma.  OK, I do, but no idea how to get the US government to do the right thing unless we get really lucky with the presidential and congressional candidaes and the supreme court.
Katrina

"I have a bad feeling about this."  Every good guy in the Star Wars saga, and an occasional bad guy as well.

Aubren

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2015, 06:22:56 pm »
Quote from: mandrina;183484
But the powerful hunk of immigrants didn't assimilate, they stayed and demanded the runaways back.  Not nearly enough of them ran away to join the natives.  Enough to be an annoyance, not enough to make a difference.

More than an annoyance, actually. They had to set laws in place to punish those that ran away or tried to. They were embarrassed that these "lesser people actually had a better society than theirs, and we're throwing too many fits about how much better they were to, you know,improve themselves.

Unfortunately, we get the opposite nowadays. Now that OUR societies are terrible, white people look to our past and take what they THINK are good ideas- and then Europeanzing them. The beliefs that were originally ours to begin with, anyways. A lot of it is just European fantasy.

Anyways.

I agree with you that Britain probably wouldn;t have kept their promises any better than the US has.  I have no idea how to deal with OKlahoma.  OK, I do, but no idea how to get the US government to do the right thing unless we get really lucky with the presidential and congressional candidaes and the supreme court.

I see that pun there!

So what you're saying is is that you're interested in being a Native American ally?

As far as voting goes: look into candidates history. Vote for people of color and other minorities when they have good ideals. Always vote at a local level, and for the government candidates. Know that since this is an oligarchy, you're vote doesn't count for the president and possibly other federal electives: but your wallet does.

Go onto change.org and other online petitions.

More importantly, look into the indigenous nations in your area. Many nations don't want direct help from white people because of the American White Hero syndrome. We want to solve our own problems, but discrimination also prevents us from doing so.

Figure out what problems the tribe has. Do they have a news site? Educate fellow non-native on these issues, even if just as a conversational topic. Awareness is key.
Wazhazhe

Tags: