Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Spell fail  (Read 3580 times)

LunaStar

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Spell fail
« on: November 14, 2015, 03:31:23 pm »
About three weeks ago, I casted a spell that I felt was very strong and well crafted.  About a week after, I started to feel like the spell did not work for several reasons.  Today, I consulted the Tarot to ask about the spell, and the Tarot confirmed that the spell was disrupted.  It's not like the spell backfired, but rather that it did not work fully and is now inactive.  Reflecting upon it, I did notice one small positive outcome of it but it's not what the spell's intention was and so I don't consider it successful.  Has something like this ever happened to you?  I'm thinking about casting a different spell for the same original outcome.  Any thoughts on this?

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
Re: Spell fail
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2015, 06:37:17 pm »
Quote from: LunaStar;182271
Has something like this ever happened to you?  I'm thinking about casting a different spell for the same original outcome.  Any thoughts on this?

I've had magic fail -- sometimes for reasons I can figure out and sometimes from reasons unknown.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

Emma Eldritch

• Staff
    • View Profile
    • https://rocknrollwitch.blogspot.ca/
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2015, 07:49:58 pm »
About three weeks ago, I casted a spell that I felt was very strong and well crafted.  About a week after, I started to feel like the spell did not work for several reasons.  Today, I consulted the Tarot to ask about the spell, and the Tarot confirmed that the spell was disrupted.  It's not like the spell backfired, but rather that it did not work fully and is now inactive.  Reflecting upon it, I did notice one small positive outcome of it but it's not what the spell's intention was and so I don't consider it successful.  Has something like this ever happened to you?  I'm thinking about casting a different spell for the same original outcome.  Any thoughts on this?

Sometimes I think it's when spells fail that you can actually learn a lot more about your magic than when they go off without a hitch.

For me, if something goes awry I usually sit down and review my magical journal to see if I can spot an obvious mistake. If I can't, I'll usually sit down with my cards and see if I can't figure out what got messed up that way, and if redoing the spell is a good idea.

LunaStar

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2015, 02:21:51 pm »
Quote from: Mama Fortuna;182285
Sometimes I think it's when spells fail that you can actually learn a lot more about your magic than when they go off without a hitch.

For me, if something goes awry I usually sit down and review my magical journal to see if I can spot an obvious mistake. If I can't, I'll usually sit down with my cards and see if I can't figure out what got messed up that way, and if redoing the spell is a good idea.

I've had spells fail in the past and I would just let them go, thinking that it wasn't the right time or thing.  With this spell, I feel like it's very important for it to happen now so I've decided to redo the spell. I followed your advice and while reviewing my journal found several very obvious points of error that I hadn't noticed before. Turns out the spell wasn't as well crafted as I had thought.

Emma Eldritch

• Staff
    • View Profile
    • https://rocknrollwitch.blogspot.ca/
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2015, 02:35:37 pm »
Quote from: LunaStar;182296
I've had spells fail in the past and I would just let them go, thinking that it wasn't the right time or thing.  With this spell, I feel like it's very important for it to happen now so I've decided to redo the spell. I followed your advice and while reviewing my journal found several very obvious points of error that I hadn't noticed before. Turns out the spell wasn't as well crafted as I had thought.

I will admit I'm pretty bad about just letting stuff go - I mean, if I was willing to accept that it just wasn't the right time or desire, why would I have done a spell in the first place? I'm stubborn, though.

Hey, it happens. And now you know for when you redo it!

LunaStar

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2015, 02:21:23 pm »
Quote from: Mama Fortuna;182299
I will admit I'm pretty bad about just letting stuff go - I mean, if I was willing to accept that it just wasn't the right time or desire, why would I have done a spell in the first place? I'm stubborn, though.

Hey, it happens. And now you know for when you redo it!

I totally get you on that, and I'll admit it's kind of a cliche explanation for when things don't work out.  There's always something else going on, a real explanation.  A few days later, I realized I simply casted the wrong spell altogether.  It was too generalized, when I knew the exact outcome that I wanted.  It's all good though, I feel like I leveled up! ;)

Lionrhod

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
    • http://www.lionrhod.com
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2015, 11:25:30 am »

I actually have an entire chapter devoted to "Aunt Claras" (spells that fizzle or work in unexpected ways) in my book.

A few thoughts here.

1) When you cast a second spell and add it to the first it may actually add to the length of time it takes for the spell to have affect. How long a spell "takes" to work depends on a lot of factors including your feelings and karma in that area of life. The length of your "karmic string" (how long it takes for magick to come back to you) is for most folks approximately 3 months. (Some folks get results much faster, some slower.)

Because of that, I don't recommend doing a spell for the same result too soon after the first, even if there were challenges with it the first time. It helps when you have an idea of how fast magick "usually" works for you. (I'm not saying you don't.)

2) Are you certain the positive result was actually part of that spell? If it's not associated with your spell at all, it may be happy coincidence or the result of a previous spell for something else.

3) As far as spells that you know you messed up, I recommend an, "oops, sorry I did that" spell to end it. For example, I asked to buy a specific house once (never a good idea to hold for "one specific thing/person/etc") and that resulted in a stall in both finding a home and the house itself selling. I returned the earth I'd taken to the house, burned all pics of it except one to remind me not to do stupid things like that in the future, untraced the runes I'd placed on its door, astrally apologized to the sellers and so forth.

Within two weeks (and after 6 months of nothing happening since I'd cast the original spell) the house I'd originally wanted (and couldn't afford) sold, I found a new home that was right for me, and the means to purchase it--outright without a dime owed--came through.

Additionally, if you feel it appropriate, I'd love to hear what you decided was wrong with the spell, for my own edification and that of others.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2015, 11:26:29 am by Lionrhod »
When given a choice between black and white, choose purple.
SpellCraft Secrets: The Art of Creating Magic Spells Made Easy 2nd edition, revised
Dark Moon Gates - Pagan YA Fantasy
Nenfari - FREE Dark Sword & Sorcery
The Spider\'s Yule Gift - A Children\'s Folktale & Polish Pagan Holiday Traditions
My Website

LunaStar

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2015, 03:15:27 am »
Quote from: Lionrhod;182865
I actually have an entire chapter devoted to "Aunt Claras" (spells that fizzle or work in unexpected ways) in my book.

Good idea!

2) Are you certain the positive result was actually part of that spell? If it's not associated with your spell at all, it may be happy coincidence or the result of a previous spell for something else.

It may be a coincidence but in this case I feel a direct influence.  Almost like a passive-aggressive result due to improper energy being raised.

3) As far as spells that you know you messed up, I recommend an, "oops, sorry I did that" spell to end it.

I have been feeling like this needs some sort of "formal" closure.

Additionally, if you feel it appropriate, I'd love to hear what you decided was wrong with the spell, for my own edification and that of others.

As I mentioned in my previous post, I realized I had done the wrong spellwork altogether,  after reading over my journal a few times.  I thought I had zeroed into the root of the spellwork, but I hadn't.  It was actually quite vague.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2015, 03:17:16 am by LunaStar »

Tags: