Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Paris Under Siege  (Read 8844 times)

Altair

• Staff
  • Fly high and make the world follow
    • View Profile
    • Songs of the Metamythos
  • Religion: tree-hugging pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
Paris Under Siege
« on: November 13, 2015, 06:33:48 pm »
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/14/world/europe/paris-shooting-attacks.html

This is a developing story. I feel the way I did after the Boston Marathon bombing, another city I have tremendous affection for. And I worry what this will do to Europe's response to the refugee crisis; France has closed its borders, and who can blame them? And gods help the law-abiding Muslims living in Europe, who are now screwed.

I have so many disparate reactions, I'm not sure what to think. Just keeping Paris and her people in my thoughts.
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
Re: Paris Under Siege
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2015, 06:41:55 pm »
Quote from: Altair;182255

This is a developing story. I feel the way I did after the Boston Marathon bombing, another city I have tremendous affection for. And I worry what this will do to Europe's response to the refugee crisis; France has closed its borders, and who can blame them? And gods help the law-abiding Muslims living in Europe, who are now screwed.

I have so many disparate reactions, I'm not sure what to think. Just keeping Paris and her people in my thoughts.

I was just about to post on this. It's horrible -- and obviously a terrorist attack -- from the reports I'm seeing.  The first suspects don't seem to be the refugees, however, but rather people that have returned to Europe after having fought with various rebel/terrorist groups in the Middle East. A private source tells me that these "returnees" have proved hard to track and have been thought to be planning terrorism in Europe... So why I'm sure the far right in the US will be quick to blame the refugees (and it is certainly possible that terrorists posing as refugees are involved), there are other -- perhaps more likely -- suspects.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

sailor

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2015, 07:02:24 pm »
Quote from: RandallS;182256
I was just about to post on this. It's horrible -- and obviously a terrorist attack -- from the reports I'm seeing.  The first suspects don't seem to be the refugees, however, but rather people that have returned to Europe after having fought with various rebel/terrorist groups in the Middle East. A private source tells me that these "returnees" have proved hard to track and have been thought to be planning terrorism in Europe... So why I'm sure the far right in the US will be quick to blame the refugees (and it is certainly possible that terrorists posing as refugees are involved), there are other -- perhaps more likely -- suspects.

In part the terrorists are returning in the swarm of refugees.  They are "move amongst the people as a fish swims in the sea" to quote Mao.

sailor

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2015, 07:47:11 pm »

Borders closed. Apparently DGSE has been given a free hand.  Something tells me Beslen will become a footnote.

Gaudior

• Journeyman
  • Moladh BrĂ­d
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Clann Bhride, Zen Buddhism
  • Preferred Pronouns: She/her/hers
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2015, 08:23:42 pm »

I saw this about an hour ago at work. My heart hurts for the people there. In the coming days, maybe there is something we can do to help, even if it's donating blood or food or something. Anything. I just want to help.
I talk to plants.

sailor

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2015, 09:13:41 pm »
And I worry what this will do to Europe's response to the refugee crisis; France has closed its borders, and who can blame them? And gods help the law-abiding Muslims living in Europe, who are now screwed.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/calais-migrant-camp-on-fire-6830330

The response to the refugees just went up a small notch. Keep an eye on Sweden.

At least I don't think I need to pack a bag yet.

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2015, 08:10:46 am »
Quote from: sailor;182257
In part the terrorists are returning in the swarm of refugees.  They are "move amongst the people as a fish swims in the sea" to quote Mao.

I'm sure there are some coming in with the current refugees, but a number of returnees were already in Europe before the current influx of refugees where they've had time to plan all sorts of stuff.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2015, 09:25:13 am »

The latest I've seen.

Hollande called the attacks "an act of war" in a speech Saturday morning local time. "And when faced with war, the country must take appropriate decisions," he said. "An act committed by a terrorist army, DAESH [ISIS], against what we are, a free country that speaks together with the planet."

There are currently 127 dead, 300 wounded (80 critically). All eight known terrorists are dead, 7 by suicide bombing, 1 in a shootout with police.

More in the Article
Randall

Materialist

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2015, 11:48:31 am »

I told my mother yesterday I thought world war three was on the horizon, and dammit, I think I'm right. Just finished reading news reports before coming here. On the verge of tears. These Syrian extremists are going to so wear down the emotional endurance of the world that someone is going to drop a nuke on that country and that will be it.

Lana288

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2015, 07:03:41 pm »
Quote from: Gaudior;182259
I saw this about an hour ago at work. My heart hurts for the people there. In the coming days, maybe there is something we can do to help, even if it's donating blood or food or something. Anything. I just want to help.

I do too. I've been praying, but sometimes- especially in times like this- prayer seems so futile. I want to do something concrete; something that I know will help, even a little.

sailor

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2015, 07:57:48 pm »
Quote from: RandallS;182265
I'm sure there are some coming in with the current refugees, but a number of returnees were already in Europe before the current influx of refugees where they've had time to plan all sorts of stuff.

25% so far.  8 attackers, of which at least two had passports from a Greek refugee center.

Materialist

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2015, 06:07:16 pm »
Quote from: sailor;182288
25% so far.  8 attackers, of which at least two had passports from a Greek refugee center.

And now the emotional backlash from this event. European commenters on the news stories generally express a desire to close all borders to Muslim/Middle Eastern/North African refugees; deport all Muslims and refugees; or kill all Muslims and refugees in one's country. Jeb Bush has stated that only Christian refugees should be allowed asylum, Muslims not being permitted to enter the country.

In a video clip from ISIS representatives, they constantly referred to Europeans as "crusaders." Old sins, long shadows. They have not forgotten the genocide wreaked by Crusaders on the natives during the Middle Ages, where Jewish refugees were denied sanctuary in European countries unless they converted to Christianity.

Jews have probably not forgotten how the U.S. refused sanctuary to refugees in WW2, sending them back to their deaths. Muslims are the new Jews now. Hundreds of thousands have been killed by ISIS for not subscribing to their bizarre interpretation of scripture, and a thousand more are killed every day. Ethnic minorities are being deliberately rounded up and executed by the thousands as well.

ISIS is happy by European and Usonan bloodlust against Muslims-they want us to kill off their theological rivals so they don't have to do go through the trouble of sneaking into the country. But they would also be just as happy if we deported all Muslims to their doorstep so they can have the pleasure of killing them by the millions upon millions, until only ISIS remains as the body of Islam.

If the world turns against Muslims and refugees now, there will be such a genocide that the world would never recover from the trauma.

Materialist

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2015, 08:58:12 pm »
Quote from: Materialist;182305

If the world turns against Muslims and refugees now, there will be such a genocide that the world would never recover from the trauma.

Cobbling together various sources:http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2015/06/17/world/middleeast/map-isis-attacks-around-the-world.html?_r=0

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/09/world/middleeast/number-of-syrian-refugees-climbs-to-more-than-4-million.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2792552/full-horror-yazidis-didn-t-escape-mount-sinjar-confirms-5-000-men-executed-7-000-women-kept-sex-slaves.html

http://roarmag.org/2015/01/yazidi-refugees-turkey

And a Wikipedia article entitled "Casualties of the Syrian Civil War."

One grasps the magnitude of what these Syrian radicals have done to the world.

Murders claimed by ISIS affiliates:

Algeria: 2
Canada: 2
Australia: 2
Libya: 103
Egypt: 307
Denmark: 2
Tunisia: 60
Yemen: 245
Saudi Arabia: 41
Afghanistan: 10
France: 129
Turkey: 32
Lebanon: 43
Iraq: 5,000 Yazidis

Total: 5,997

Deaths claimed by the Syrian Civil War: 220,000

Refugees of the Yazidi genocide: 36,000

Refugees of the Syrian Civil War: 4,000,000

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2015, 09:39:50 pm »
Quote from: Materialist;182305
And now the emotional backlash from this event. European commenters on the news stories generally express a desire to close all borders to Muslim/Middle Eastern/North African refugees; deport all Muslims and refugees; or kill all Muslims and refugees in one's country. Jeb Bush has stated that only Christian refugees should be allowed asylum, Muslims not being permitted to enter the country.

What do you expect from right-wing politicians?

That said, There are a lot of Muslim countries that could be taking in many of these refugees, but are not. Turkey is overloaded with them -- something like 50% of the refugees from Syria, but very few other Muslim countries are taking in any (except in some cases as way-stops on the way to Europe).
« Last Edit: November 15, 2015, 09:40:19 pm by RandallS »
Randall

MadZealot

• Adept Member
  • Eye yam tu papi.
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Founder of the Church of No Pants.
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2015, 11:48:49 pm »
Quote from: RandallS;182307

That said, There are a lot of Muslim countries that could be taking in many of these refugees, but are not.

Huh. Why is that?  
I don't think the news outlets have commented on this either.  Why is that?

In related news, France's retaliation has been swift and brutal. Can't say that I blame them.  The next couple of days will be... interesting.  As if the times we live in weren't interesting enough.
You have my sword
And my shield
And my... um... slacks.

Tags: