Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[April 15, 2024, 03:15:33 am]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Altair
[April 09, 2024, 09:29:08 am]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Jenett
[April 08, 2024, 09:09:39 pm]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Sefiru
[April 08, 2024, 06:09:38 pm]

Author Topic: Music and Spells  (Read 1400 times)

Merin

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Music and Spells
« on: November 13, 2015, 02:44:04 pm »
A basic question, if you don't mind -

I really enjoy having music in the background whenever I am doing any type of ritual.  As someone who is just getting into spells, I am wondering what types of pagan music would be best suited for spell work?  Right now, i have chants on my playlist, but I am looking for something a little deeper.  I like Wendy Rule's "The Circle Song" but I can't stand her other music.  Suggestions, please?

Thanks.

Faemon

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: Music and Spells
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2015, 10:40:37 pm »
Quote from: Merin;182253
As someone who is just getting into spells, I am wondering what types of pagan music would be best suited for spell work?  Right now, i have chants on my playlist, but I am looking for something a little deeper.  I like Wendy Rule's "The Circle Song" but I can't stand her other music.  Suggestions, please?

It depends on the spell, and your taste in music. "Let It Go" from the Frozen movie has been cathartic for a lot of people, so it might not necessarily be if the music is pagan or magical so much as if the listener is.

The Secret Garden musical by Lucy Simon and Marsha Norman is one I'd recommend. "Winter's On The Wing" is my favorite. Hair might be more in the style of Wendy Rule ("Age of Aquarius"?) but I haven't actually listened to that entire soundtrack all the way through.

"Across the Sky" by Emilie Autumn, during her Enchant-era days before going all steampunk gothic.

Erutan (a.k.a. Kate Covington) has both a vocal and instrumental album out. She's very talented at lyrics in made-up languages that have no translation.

Deanta's "Ready for the Storm" I like because my favorite symbols are oceanic. I haven't listened to much of her other stuff.

Of course, Enya. All the Enya. Every Enya Ever. "Storms in Africa" is my favorite.
The Codex of Poesy: wishcraft, faelatry, alchemy, and other slight misspellings.
the Otherfaith: Chromatic Genderbending Faery Monarchs of Technology. DeviantArt

Mellee

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2015, 10:59:10 pm »

I really enjoy having music in the background whenever I am doing any type of ritual.  As someone who is just getting into spells, I am wondering what types of pagan music would be best suited for spell work?  Right now, i have chants on my playlist, but I am looking for something a little deeper.  I like Wendy Rule's "The Circle Song" but I can't stand her other music.  Suggestions, please?

Thanks.

Some paganish suggestions:

Wardruna. The Moon and the Nightspirit. Mediaeval Baebes. Lisa Gerrard. Enya. Enigma. Fever Ray.

Some not-very-paganish suggestions:

Audiomachine - Phenomena
Florence + the Machine - Ceremonials
Lindsey Stirling - Shatter Me

Generally I make playlists with appropriate music for the work to be done - these tend to feature all sorts of stuff from Prodigy to Natalia Kills to Steeleye Span! You can find some good playlists on 8tracks.com too.

Emma Eldritch

• Staff
    • View Profile
    • https://rocknrollwitch.blogspot.ca/
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2015, 02:05:45 pm »

Thanks.

I'm not sure about out-and-out 'pagan' music, but stuff that I think that would not be out of place in, say, a metaphysical bookstore would be stuff like Dead Can Dance, Shiva in Exile, Vas, Arcana, maybe even Karl Sanders.

I myself quite often favour a sort of drone-y instrumental - bands like Atrium Carceri, Desiderii Marginis, even John Carpenter. Actually pretty much stuff you can find on the Black Yoga playlists.

I also do quite like Chelsea Wolfe, Fever Ray, and Florence and the Machine. Or, you know, I just slam on some Stevie Nicks and call it a day.

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; UU; CoX; Etc
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, they, she
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2015, 03:02:47 pm »
I really enjoy having music in the background whenever I am doing any type of ritual.  As someone who is just getting into spells, I am wondering what types of pagan music would be best suited for spell work?

Why pagan music specifically?

If I were doing this - and I've done musical magic explicitly with playlists, actually - I would go with 'what music do I have that supports the process of this specific working'.

Do I want to raise energy?  What music do I have that helps me raise energy?

Do I want to transform one state of mind to another?  Do I have any music that represents the relevant states of mind invovled, and can I chain them in a useful manner to transform?

Etc.
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

LunaStar

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2015, 03:39:57 pm »

Thanks.

I use music that matches the spellwork, not necessarily pagan music.  Most of the time I cast musical spells using my voice and other instruments.  I second Enya for everything.  I recommend everyone on here to listen to High Priestess album "Faerie Archives".  It's a beautifully composed album where she allowed the faeries to create music through her.  Here is a link to one of her songs:

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2015, 04:05:16 pm »
Quote from: Darkhawk;182270

If I were doing this - and I've done musical magic explicitly with playlists, actually - I would go with 'what music do I have that supports the process of this specific working'.

This. (Though I'll also note that I generally avoid music written for other religious traditions in ritual or magical work unless I have an extremely specific reason to do so.)

I also think there's different kinds of applications here, and where I start looking for music will depend on which one I'm going for.

Words or no words?: If I'm looking for mood or for something while I'm meditating, thinking, or something else like that, I probably don't want words. My current go-tos for this include Betsy Tinney's cello loops, Ludovico Einaudi's instrumentals, or depending on the specific piece, some Celtic or Celtic influenced stuff.

(I usually need to be careful to make sure it's not a tune that also has words, becuase my brain will usually attempt to insert the words.)

Is it music to help create a mood or atmosphere: I'm probably going to look at music from Pagan musicians, but also things like Enya or various Celtic and British musicians I like.

Is it music for feeding a particular focus?: In that case, I'm going to be picking a few very specific songs that feed that particular goal. Things I've done with in the not too distant past have come from S.J. Tucker, Seanan McGuire, Sarah Bareilles, various musical soundtracks, an Icelandic rock band, and ... um, yeah. Wide ranging sources.

Are there any other things to take into consideration? I mostly *don't* go for what would otherwise be a really obvious source for me, which is common practice period European (classical) music - I was a music major in college, and it damaged my ability to listen to some kinds of music without going to a highly analytical place in my head.

(I'm finally getting over that, slowly, 20 years later, but there's about 15 years in there where even listening to classical music except in very specific ways made my head go sproing, never mind in ritual.)

I've always had an easier time with early music (monophonic and polyphonic chant, and secular songs, but a lot of that either is from a very specific religious perspective or has language that's very specific and focused, and it's usually not the right fit, though I'll sometimes have it on as I'm getting ready for ritual, especially some of Hildegard von Bingen's stuff in both the forms she wrote and some of the more New Age arrangements people have played with.

One thing I have done, in group work, however, is using the principles of polyphonic chant to do energy raising, shifting, and focusing, and I've found it's a very different but sometimes much more effective method for people who have trouble with chants or holding specific pitches (especially if you have a couple of people with a solid musical background and some who are very self-conscious about their singing, because people can adapt to their own preference level.)
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

Merin

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2015, 08:59:02 pm »
Quote from: Darkhawk;182270
Why pagan music specifically?

Do I want to raise energy?  What music do I have that helps me raise energy?

Do I want to transform one state of mind to another?  Do I have any music that represents the relevant states of mind invovled, and can I chain them in a useful manner to transform?

Etc.

Doesn't necessarily have to be pagan.  I'm open to all suggestions. However, I suppose my original intent was that I like pagan music and it gets me more in that sort of mood than other types of music.  But hey, I won't limit myself to just that. :)

I think you are right about music lending support to the spell.  The lyrics (and music for that matter) would be important because they could add another layer to the spell. Great suggestion.

Merin

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2015, 09:06:33 pm »
Quote from: Jenett;182273
This.

Words or no words?: If I'm looking for mood or for something while I'm meditating, thinking, or something else like that, I probably don't want words. My current go-tos for this include Betsy Tinney's cello loops, Ludovico Einaudi's instrumentals, or depending on the specific piece, some Celtic or Celtic influenced stuff.

Hanging this here, because I wanted to reply to Jenett, but I wanted to also say thank you for all of the great suggestions. :)

Ludovico Einaudi is one of my favorite composers.  Are you also into contemporary classical music?  I particularly enjoy Balmoreah (The Winter is my favorite) and Time for Three.

Tags: