collapse

* Recent Posts

Author Topic: Connecting with a house's soul?  (Read 2256 times)

Gigi Kiersten

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • http://www.cheapskatewitch.com
Connecting with a house's soul?
« on: November 04, 2015, 01:02:01 am »
So I got the idea from Confessions of A Soccer Mom's Blog, but I sort of moving more into animism and like I can sort of feel the personality of a house. It's strange really, like I believe that houses, cities, and towns can a have spirit or a soul. I want to sort of connect with the soul of my house.  Anybody have a good ritual, meditation, or a good starting place on how to be able to do that?

As always any help would be greatly appreciated!

Aubren

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Re: Connecting with a house's soul?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2015, 04:33:14 am »
Quote from: Jenny Cee;181856
So I got the idea from Confessions of A Soccer Mom's Blog, but I sort of moving more into animism and like I can sort of feel the personality of a house. It's strange really, like I believe that houses...can have a spirit or a soul.

Can't say for direct contact, but I know the basics to keeping one happy.

Whenever my mom started fixing up a house, we could feel it be "grateful". The atmosphere of the house was a lot better. Not just because it was clean and functioning well, but also because...well, it felt pleased!
My recommendation is make sure your house is in order. Clean up your messes, then do a general full clean: tackle that ceiling dust and those carpet stains!
Afterwards, make sure your house contains all the necesarry equipment to make it legal-- the happiest house I've ever been in was the one without smoke detectors, that we had to fight with the landlord to get.
Ensure that the water, electric, gas, flooring, fixed furniture, etc; are good. Replace or fix anything if it's damaged.
In general, heal it. Take care of it. Your house will literally appreciate it.

If you believe in ghosts, another things would be to help them come to terms. Or at least be friendly with these fellow inhabitants.
The house recognizes them, too.
Most of the ghosts in houses will watch you for a little while, then decide what to do with you. Occasionally they'll automatically reject you due either to their dislike of who you are or due to where you are (a haunted house is generally a house where a ghost is possessive of the area or just plain out negative. Their attitude affects the house, as well. And what their presence does to you).

Keeping a good mood in the house will keep it happy, too.  If you step into a house whose last owners were violent, it will feel like it. Cleanse it up with positive emotion and cleansing herbs like sage (sage will also drug the ghosts up for a few months).

Remember, it may be a spirit, but it's also the house (or guards the house, depending on your point of view). That, along with self-improvement & satisfaction, is why healing the house improves its relations to you & your relations with it.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 04:39:15 am by Aubren »
Wazhazhe

HarpingHawke

• Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: shapeshifting, witchery, polytheism. under endless construction.
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2015, 01:44:16 pm »
Quote from: Jenny Cee;181856
So I got the idea from Confessions of A Soccer Mom's Blog, but I sort of moving more into animism and like I can sort of feel the personality of a house. It's strange really, like I believe that houses, cities, and towns can a have spirit or a soul. I want to sort of connect with the soul of my house.  Anybody have a good ritual, meditation, or a good starting place on how to be able to do that?

Have you tried talking to it? You might not get an answer, but the place you're talking to will probably appreciate it. Like Aubren said, taking good care of a house is key to a good relationship with it. Keep it as clean as you can, do some cleansing every once in a while if you have the time, and chatter at it.

I'm doing the whole animism thing by the seat of my pants, so I'm not entirely sure about rituals/offerings, but some incense and maybe a bit of your dinner wouldn't go amiss. Just make sure what you give it is appropriate for the spirit, f'ex, I have a friend who's offered a cheeseburger to a city spirit because it was the best fit for the spirit.

I offer coins to road spirits because they tend to like shiny things. Houses might like something cozy, like a cup of soup or some toast and jam. Tea is a cheap offering that works well, too.

But, your time is probably the most valuable thing when it comes to an offering. Like I mentioned before, talking is important. Spending as much time as is feasible with the spirit is also important to build a good relationship.

Good luck to you!
"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." - Hemingway

Gigi Kiersten

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2015, 02:31:45 pm »
Quote from: Aubren;181861
Can't say for direct contact, but I know the basics to keeping one happy.

Whenever my mom started fixing up a house, we could feel it be "grateful". The atmosphere of the house was a lot better. Not just because it was clean and functioning well, but also because...well, it felt pleased!
My recommendation is make sure your house is in order. Clean up your messes, then do a general full clean: tackle that ceiling dust and those carpet stains!
Afterwards, make sure your house contains all the necesarry equipment to make it legal-- the happiest house I've ever been in was the one without smoke detectors, that we had to fight with the landlord to get.
Ensure that the water, electric, gas, flooring, fixed furniture, etc; are good. Replace or fix anything if it's damaged.
In general, heal it. Take care of it. Your house will literally appreciate it.

If you believe in ghosts, another things would be to help them come to terms. Or at least be friendly with these fellow inhabitants.
The house recognizes them, too.
Most of the ghosts in houses will watch you for a little while, then decide what to do with you. Occasionally they'll automatically reject you due either to their dislike of who you are or due to where you are (a haunted house is generally a house where a ghost is possessive of the area or just plain out negative. Their attitude affects the house, as well. And what their presence does to you).

Keeping a good mood in the house will keep it happy, too.  If you step into a house whose last owners were violent, it will feel like it. Cleanse it up with positive emotion and cleansing herbs like sage (sage will also drug the ghosts up for a few months).

Remember, it may be a spirit, but it's also the house (or guards the house, depending on your point of view). That, along with self-improvement & satisfaction, is why healing the house improves its relations to you & your relations with it.

Thank you for the advice. I'm mostly in charge of the household, cleaning and taking care of the kids. My stepfather (who is really traditional) is mostly in charge of the outside. So I'm going to set up a little altar for the house.  I tend to use salt cause water instead of sage, because my family easily allergic to smoke and incense. But thanks for the tips I really appreciate it. It gave me ideas.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 02:34:13 pm by Gigi Kiersten »

Gigi Kiersten

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2015, 10:38:43 am »
Quote from: HarpingHawke;181880
Have you tried talking to it? You might not get an answer, but the place you're talking to will probably appreciate it. Like Aubren said, taking good care of a house is key to a good relationship with it. Keep it as clean as you can, do some cleansing every once in a while if you have the time, and chatter at it.

I'm doing the whole animism thing by the seat of my pants, so I'm not entirely sure about rituals/offerings, but some incense and maybe a bit of your dinner wouldn't go amiss. Just make sure what you give it is appropriate for the spirit, f'ex, I have a friend who's offered a cheeseburger to a city spirit because it was the best fit for the spirit.

I offer coins to road spirits because they tend to like shiny things. Houses might like something cozy, like a cup of soup or some toast and jam. Tea is a cheap offering that works well, too.

But, your time is probably the most valuable thing when it comes to an offering. Like I mentioned before, talking is important. Spending as much time as is feasible with the spirit is also important to build a good relationship.

Good luck to you!

So update. I tried talking to it. The house spirit literally thumped me, and now it won't stop talking to me. Seriously, I hear in my head and I think I'm going crazy (feel free to feel skeptical). It's energetic like a child, energetic and hyper, and it said it waited for ever for someone to talk to it and that it wishes I clean more. I negotiated with it, because I have five kids and it agreed.

Juniperberry

• Grand Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2015, 12:46:35 pm »
Quote from: Jenny Cee;182128
it wishes I clean more. I negotiated with it, because I have five kids and it agreed.

I have four. I feel your pain.

I had fun following this for awhile (change of routine, I guess):

Master List

(Edit: I know you weren't asking for help, and I'm sure you actually clean just fine, I was just excited to share the list.)
« Last Edit: November 10, 2015, 12:47:48 pm by Juniperberry »
The pace of progress in artificial intelligence (I’m not referring to narrow AI) is incredibly fast. [...] The risk of something seriously dangerous happening is in the five year timeframe. 10 years at most.--Elon Musk

I am in the camp that is concerned about super intelligence," [Bill] Gates wrote. "First the machines will do a lot of jobs for us and not be super intelligent. That should be positive if we manage it well. A few decades after that though the intelligence is strong enough to be a concern. I agree with Elon Musk and some others on this and don\'t understand why some people are not concerned."

Gigi Kiersten

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2015, 01:16:05 pm »
Quote from: Juniperberry;182136
I have four. I feel your pain.

I had fun following this for awhile (change of routine, I guess):

Master List

(Edit: I know you weren't asking for help, and I'm sure you actually clean just fine, I was just excited to share the list.)

Hey, I don't mind the list at all. I need all the help I can get. Can't promise to get it all done, but hey that's life.

Aubren

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2015, 11:47:35 pm »
Quote from: Jenny Cee;182128
So update. I tried talking to it. The house spirit literally thumped me, and now it won't stop talking to me. Seriously, I hear in my head and I think I'm going crazy (feel free to feel skeptical). It's energetic like a child, energetic and hyper, and it said it waited for ever for someone to talk to it and that it wishes I clean more. I negotiated with it, because I have five kids and it agreed.

I find this hilarious! XD
It makes perfect sense that a house spirit would be lonely. I guess they can't communicate with eachother.

Could you imagine the "neighborhood gossip" if they could!? *cracks up!*
Wazhazhe

Tags: