collapse

* Recent Posts

Author Topic: Paganism and "Thy will be done"?  (Read 1920 times)

Sol Invictus

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
Paganism and "Thy will be done"?
« on: November 03, 2015, 12:25:16 am »
Ok so I've been coming into a conflict lately, based around the concept "Thy Will Be Done" in Christianity and other religions. I am wondering if this is also applicable to Pagan religions, or if it is frowned upon.

So let's back up. I am in the 12 step program of Alcoholics Anonymous. I have complete faith in it, and it has helped me get back on my feet and start functioning normally. The steps are not religious per se, but is described as "spiritual". It is not Christian, Alcoholics are to find a "God of your own understanding".  

So that being said, the program seriously revolves around the concept of Thy Will Be Done. The steps main fundamentals are: that we are powerless over alcohol, that belief in a higher power could restore us to sanity, that no human power could relieve our suffering, to make a list of character defects, and humbly asking our HP to remove these character defects.

The 3rd step prayer is "God, I offer myself to thee. To build with me, and do with me as thou wilt. Relieve me of the bondage of self, so that I may better do thy will. Take away my difficulties, that victory over them would bear witness to those I would help of thy power, thy love, and thy way of life. May I do thy will always."

Now I have a hard time relating this to Paganism, and my path of Asatru. I always thought of Paganism as an equal exchange; that we ask of something, we give an offering or sacrifice, and hopefully the wish is granted if the Gods are pleased. Thy Will Be Done means putting the utmost faith in your God, and whatever his plan is for you, is the best even if it is something you do not want.

Is there anyway that I could apply this to Paganism? Is it frowned upon or seen as weak, especially in Asatru? Aren't we based around self-determination and morally accountable for our actions?

Can I apply Paganism to my recovery?

Juniperberry

• Grand Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
Re: Paganism and "Thy will be done"?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2015, 04:13:50 am »
Quote from: Sol Invictus;181803

The 3rd step prayer is "God, I offer myself to thee. To build with me, and do with me as thou wilt. Relieve me of the bondage of self, so that I may better do thy will. Take away my difficulties, that victory over them would bear witness to those I would help of thy power, thy love, and thy way of life. May I do thy will always."

Is it frowned upon or seen as weak, especially in Asatru? Aren't we based around self-determination and morally accountable for our actions?

Young and alone on a long road,
Once I lost my way:
Rich I felt when I found another;
Man rejoices in man,

If you find a friend you fully trust
And wish for his good-will,
exchange thoughts,
exchange gifts,
Go often to his house.

If you know a friend you can fully trust,
Go often to his house
Grass and brambles grow quickly
Upon the untrodden track.

Cherish those near you, never be
The first to break with a friend:
Care eats him who can no longer
Open his heart to another.

Affection is mutual when men can open
All their heart to each other:
He whose words are always fair
Is untrue and not to be trusted.

-Havamal

I'm not sure if trust, friendship and loyalty are things you're comfortable applying to the gods. If so, then I would say that trusting in them could be an interpretation of "they will be done".
The pace of progress in artificial intelligence (I’m not referring to narrow AI) is incredibly fast. [...] The risk of something seriously dangerous happening is in the five year timeframe. 10 years at most.--Elon Musk

I am in the camp that is concerned about super intelligence," [Bill] Gates wrote. "First the machines will do a lot of jobs for us and not be super intelligent. That should be positive if we manage it well. A few decades after that though the intelligence is strong enough to be a concern. I agree with Elon Musk and some others on this and don\'t understand why some people are not concerned."

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2015, 08:11:43 am »
Ok so I've been coming into a conflict lately, based around the concept "Thy Will Be Done" in Christianity and other religions. I am wondering if this is also applicable to Pagan religions, or if it is frowned upon.

While there are too many pagan religions for any generalization on something like this to apply to every pagan religion, it general it does not apply -- at least not in the way it does in monotheistic religions. Any time you have more than one deity, after all, one deity's will can be affected (or even thwarted) by another deity's will. Also, most non-monotheistic deities are not all-powerful and are not all-knowing which means their will may not even be done if no other deity's will differs from theirs.

So that being said, the program seriously revolves around the concept of Thy Will Be Done. The steps main fundamentals are: that we are powerless over alcohol, that belief in a higher power could restore us to sanity, that no human power could relieve our suffering, to make a list of character defects, and humbly asking our HP to remove these character defects.

There is nothing particularly offensive to the beliefs of most Pagan religions here. You can voluntarily submit yourself to the will of a deity without "Thy will be done" in a general sense being true. That said, some pagan religions will frown on this, but then special circumstances (needing to break an addiction) should mitigate that at least in non-fundie pagans.  

I know of a number of Pagans who have been helped by 12-step programs.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2015, 05:00:34 pm by SunflowerP »
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

Kylara

• Staff
    • View Profile
    • https://www.patreon.com/kyndryana
  • Religion: Norse Fusion Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2015, 08:56:38 am »

Now I have a hard time relating this to Paganism, and my path of Asatru. I always thought of Paganism as an equal exchange; that we ask of something, we give an offering or sacrifice, and hopefully the wish is granted if the Gods are pleased. Thy Will Be Done means putting the utmost faith in your God, and whatever his plan is for you, is the best even if it is something you do not want.

Is there anyway that I could apply this to Paganism? Is it frowned upon or seen as weak, especially in Asatru? Aren't we based around self-determination and morally accountable for our actions?

When I think of what you are describing:  of putting myself in the hands of my deity and submitting to their plan for me, that to me speaks of sacrifice.  I have not participated in a 12 step, but from what I have heard, it is a very active process.  You aren't just saying 'God help me' and then waiting around for your Higher Power to step in and make everything right.  What you are doing is acknowledging that this process is bigger than yourself, that you can't do it on your own.  You are taking the steps you can, doing everything in your power, and then asking for help.  

If it were me, I would consider all the steps part of my offering.  Every day, every moment, when I was making the choices to stay on my path, those are my sacrifices and devotion to my Higher Power, and they are my demonstrations of my faith that my Higher power will lead me where I need to go.
Check out my Patreon for more writing and other goodies!

Materialist

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2015, 09:03:51 am »

So let's back up. I am in the 12 step program of Alcoholics Anonymous. I have complete faith in it, and it has helped me get back on my feet and start functioning normally. The steps are not religious per se, but is described as "spiritual". It is not Christian, Alcoholics are to find a "God of your own understanding".

So that's what they're really like? Yeek. I would say find a psychotherapist who specializes in addiction. This process you describe sounds just like evangelical, fundamentalist Christian faith-healing sects I've heard of. And what happens if all this prayer fails? Has the group explained that to you? Do you deserve to suffer for impiety? Is alcoholism  punishment for heathenism?

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; UU; CoX; Etc
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, they, she
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2015, 10:21:02 am »
Quote from: Materialist;181817
And what happens if all this prayer fails? Has the group explained that to you?

The AA party line is apparently that AA works "for those people who implement the program properly".  (I actually saw an article on this yesterday or the day before, so it's in my head.)  Therefore, the logic is that if it doesn't work, people are doing it wrong.
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

MadZealot

• Adept Member
  • Eye yam tu papi.
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Founder of the Church of No Pants.
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2015, 12:38:11 pm »
Quote from: Darkhawk;181826
The AA party line is apparently that AA works "for those people who implement the program properly".  (I actually saw an article on this yesterday or the day before, so it's in my head.)  Therefore, the logic is that if it doesn't work, people are doing it wrong.

Way I understand it is you have to "work the Steps" in order to be successful.  And it's a neverending process.  Lifelong treatment for an illness that never really goes away.
You have my sword
And my shield
And my... um... slacks.

MadZealot

• Adept Member
  • Eye yam tu papi.
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Founder of the Church of No Pants.
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2015, 12:46:19 pm »
Quote from: Materialist;181817
This process you describe sounds just like evangelical, fundamentalist Christian faith-healing sects I've heard of.

'Cept it has zero to do with fundie Christian faith-healing.

AA recommends you get a rapport with your 'higher power', a God of your understanding.  Because some days your addiction is bigger than you can handle.  It's an active process that requires some heavy lifting; you go to your God when you need a lil more strength.
You have my sword
And my shield
And my... um... slacks.

Juniperberry

• Grand Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2015, 05:41:53 pm »
Quote from: MadZealot;181829
'Cept it has zero to do with fundie Christian faith-healing.

AA recommends you get a rapport with your 'higher power', a God of your understanding.  Because some days your addiction is bigger than you can handle.  It's an active process that requires some heavy lifting; you go to your God when you need a lil more strength.

My first thought was that it actually sounded very Buddhist. Which just goes to show that people will interpret it how they want.
The pace of progress in artificial intelligence (I’m not referring to narrow AI) is incredibly fast. [...] The risk of something seriously dangerous happening is in the five year timeframe. 10 years at most.--Elon Musk

I am in the camp that is concerned about super intelligence," [Bill] Gates wrote. "First the machines will do a lot of jobs for us and not be super intelligent. That should be positive if we manage it well. A few decades after that though the intelligence is strong enough to be a concern. I agree with Elon Musk and some others on this and don\'t understand why some people are not concerned."

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2015, 06:15:59 pm »
Quote from: Darkhawk;181826

12 step programs have a good record of success (significantly higher than control groups, at least) from what I've read. Fortunately, while AA is the best known 12 step program, they aren't the only one as that attitude you mention is silly. Their program does not work for everyone, even if they "implement the program properly". Thinking that it should work for everyone is an example bad pop psychology in my book.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs

Juniperberry

• Grand Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2015, 06:55:43 pm »
Quote from: RandallS;181842
12 step programs have a good record of success (significantly higher than control groups, at least) from what I've read. Fortunately, while AA is the best known 12 step program, they aren't the only one as that attitude you mention is silly. Their program does not work for everyone, even if they "implement the program properly". Thinking that it should work for everyone is an example bad pop psychology in my book.

I think there's some danger to recovery in these types of criticisms though. As a former addict of nicotine, I know that any doubt in the recovery process is easily turned into a justification for relapse. (Before you laugh, nicotine addiction is actually stronger than a heroin addiction. It's very powerful.)

For example, if I were reading these statements as a smoker concerning a smoking cessation program, it would be very easy for me to rationalize having one more cigarette because the program probably wasn't going to work anyway. I know that seems extreme, but an addict's mind will latch onto anything that excuses his use.

So I very much understand the idea that you have to want to be successful in the program for the program to actually be successful. The only way to not be addicted to a thing is to stop using that thing. There isn't a magic pill or a magic program. No matter what method you try, it will only work if you make it work.

StagTracker

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2015, 03:39:51 am »

Perhaps a Pagan take on it would be "And so it is done."  Many sources I have encountered suggest one of the best ways to set intention in motion with prayers and workings is to express gratitude as if whatever it is has been done or has come to pass.  That helps to align your mental model of a successful outcome to your work rather than messing up the vibes by thinking, "I'd like this to happen... but it probably won't."

I personally wouldn't perceive it as weak, and whether or not it fits within the definition from the standpoint of Asatru... well, that depends on your flavor of Asatru.  If you mean the hypermasculine variety that makes the Norse gods and peoples out to be some kind of Hollywood stereotype then it might be.  If you mean the kind that esteems the positive virtues of the gods and people while realizing that we do, in fact, live in the 21st century and our definitions of what it means to be "weak" vs "strong" do not align to some comic-book interpretation of the concepts then it shouldn't be seen as weak.  If your Asatru community does view it as weak then perhaps you should ask yourself whether or not that community's values will help you or hinder your recovery.

Either way, consider this - part of divinity is within us.  When you call out to the gods for help it is not necessarily entirely to put it in their hands.  You're not reaching out and asking for them to carry you along while you do nothing to help yourself.  The way I see it, to put yourself out there and say "Thy will be done" from a Pagan perspective, especially working with the Norse or Saxon deities, is to ask them to help ignite that divine part of yourself that is stronger than your addictions.  The way of many of the Pagan gods is not one of interceding on behalf of someone being passive but to strengthen them.  Their will is not so much for you to be their puppet but for them to help you be the best you you can be.

When you reach out to Odin, Freyr, Tyr, Ullr, Freya, Thor, or any others and say, "I cannot do this alone.  I need your help.  Thy will be done." is not anything like the concept some Christians have of, "God, you're in the driver's seat and I'm just along for the ride."  No.  You may use similar wording to satisfy the people conducting the meetings... but in your heart you are saying something like this:

Gods and goddesses of the Nine Worlds, I face a great foe whose strength I cannot best alone.  I have not the strength nor the wisdom to defeat this on my own.  Lend me your gifts.  Guide me to find the strength of Asgard within myself.  Grant fire to my spirit and strength to my resolve!  Lend me your might so that I may slay the serpents within my soul complex that feed on my addiction!  Grant me the vision to see the bright strands of the web of wyrd that are my true orlog and weave them into a tapestry that gives praise to your might!  So it is done!

Short version - you're not asking them to do everything for you.  You're asking them for the power to do it.  It is not weak to acknowledge weakness for the sake of overcoming it.  Weakness would be to do nothing.  You're already on the proverbial battlefield to confront your enemy.  That is certainly not weak.

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2015, 08:46:59 am »
Quote from: Juniperberry;181845
For example, if I were reading these statements as a smoker concerning a smoking cessation program, it would be very easy for me to rationalize having one more cigarette because the program probably wasn't going to work anyway. I know that seems extreme, but an addict's mind will latch onto anything that excuses his use.

That's true of any program as none work 100% of the time with everyone.  

There isn't a magic pill or a magic program. No matter what method you try, it will only work if you make it work.

That's true of any addiction that has a physiologic component (and that's the vast majority of them). So knowing that a program is not 100% effective might affect its success, especially with people who don't try to make it work. However, one would have to be pretty ignorant of science to expect any program to be 100% effective.
Randall

Juniperberry

• Grand Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2015, 09:50:38 am »
Quote from: RandallS;183011
That's true of any program as none work 100% of the time with everyone.  

That's true of any addiction that has a physiologic component (and that's the vast majority of them). So knowing that a program is not 100% effective might affect its success, especially with people who don't try to make it work. However, one would have to be pretty ignorant of science to expect any program to be 100% effective.

My point wasn't about the programs effectiveness. The point was that questioning the effectiveness of a program to an addict currently going through the program isn't very supportive.

Lionrhod

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
    • http://www.lionrhod.com
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2015, 06:40:44 pm »
Quote from: Juniperberry;183017
My point wasn't about the programs effectiveness. The point was that questioning the effectiveness of a program to an addict currently going through the program isn't very supportive.

I have to say, I agree.

And the OP will be tempted and told what will and won't work, by many folks along the way. Ultimately it's about his relationship with himself, his own force of will, his sponsor, his group and his gods. I wish him much strong fortune.

I am not Asatru, nor have I been in a 12 Step Program. (I did spend over a year working closely with a local Asatru group.)

Everyone's version of paganism is a bit different. Mine is actually in a way monotheistic, as it recognizes the various gods as parts of Dragon/Great Spirit/The All. I don't see it as "all knowing" rather I see it as "all inclusive, self aware and wise."

I generally caveat my spells with something to the effect of, "If the Universe has a better idea which would be better for my ultimate happiness and further growth, then I accept that."

The one argument I have with the whole 12 step idea is acknowledging that "I am powerless." That, I disagree with. Even where I have weaknesses, I also have power. I may not have always found it inside myself yet, but it is there.

And sometimes even when we have power, we need the strength of our friends to help us get there and grasp it. I feel the gods I work with as dear friends and teachers who sometimes I need to ask help from to make the changes I need to. And just as I'd be willing to call up one of my friends and say, "I've got a problem I need to sort out, can we talk?" I'll do the same with the gods when that is needed.

While various gods may have their own agendas, most of those who take us on and become our patrons, IMO want us to succeed and become stronger. I would disagree with those who have suggested that believing in multiple gods suggests they're going to thwart each other.

I very much agree with those who suggested that your struggle is your sacrifice.

The one thing from Norse paths that I would caution about is sumble. While it may be done differently in other versions of Asatru than the one I'm familiar with, in the group I worked with it was a major drinking party. (As well as oaths made and such.) I would recommend the OP having a plan for dealing with that ahead of time, discuss it with those he meets with and determine for himself what makes a fit sacrifice during that, whether it is apple juice or a few drops of blood or something else that works for him, or whether he needs to abstain altogether.

Your quote from the Havamal was quite apt and lovely.
When given a choice between black and white, choose purple.
SpellCraft Secrets: The Art of Creating Magic Spells Made Easy 2nd edition, revised
Dark Moon Gates - Pagan YA Fantasy
Nenfari - FREE Dark Sword & Sorcery
The Spider\'s Yule Gift - A Children\'s Folktale & Polish Pagan Holiday Traditions
My Website

Tags: