Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Altair
[April 09, 2024, 09:29:08 am]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Jenett
[April 08, 2024, 09:09:39 pm]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Sefiru
[April 08, 2024, 06:09:38 pm]

Re: Supermarket Witches by SirPalomides
[April 08, 2024, 09:49:17 am]

Author Topic: Is there such a thing?  (Read 2385 times)

SkylarB

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • http://fromthephoenixflames.blogspot.com/
Is there such a thing?
« on: September 08, 2011, 05:57:26 pm »
I'm brand new to this forum but I started practicing Wicca when I was a teenager... then for the last 10 years or so, I stopped.. but now I'm getting back into it.. Wicca doesnt 100% resonate with me anymore and I'm wondering if there is another path that more closely aligns with my beliefs? The biggest thing is that I don't believe in a Goddess or God, or any deity that is like a "person". I think there is an energy that permeates and is part of everything. It doesn't think or feel, it just goes where it is needed to create balance or it goes to where it is directed. And I can direct that energy by focusing my thoughts, or utilizing crystals and stones, or doing small spells, or meditating, or doing Reiki and other energy healing. Like the Law Of Attraction.

And I like to celebrate the seasons, as they are changes in the earth's energy and the cycle of all life, which all boils down to energy in the end because energy can not disappear, it merely changes and moves.

What I'm hung up on the most, though, is my view of deity. I dont think it's a "person" that has names and can talk to you or will hear me if I talk to it. But I do like to have balance so I sometimes do that with man/woman.  or black/white or silver/gold.. and especially sun/moon (my favorite!) .. meaning it's one energy, but has a positive aspect and a negative aspect that must be in balance to be harmonious and happy and "full"

Okay.. I'm not sure if that is clear enough.. but does anyone know of a specific Pagan path that has similar belief's?
Blessed be,
SkylarB  
My Wiccan Blog - From The Phoenix Flames

Livia Indica

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Is there such a thing?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2011, 06:40:58 pm »
Quote from: SkylarB;18609

Okay.. I'm not sure if that is clear enough.. but does anyone know of a specific Pagan path that has similar belief's?

You sound pretty generally like a pagan witch to me.

SkylarB

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2011, 09:14:07 pm »
Quote from: Livia Indica;18624
You sound pretty generally like a pagan witch to me.

Thanks Livia!  So even if I don't think there is a man and woman "God" ... I can just say I'm a Pagan, just not specifically a Wiccan Pagan, or other specific path ?!  Which I'm fine with! :D: I just want to make sure I'm not missing out on learning about a specific path that is similar to my beliefs if there is one and I don't know about it!

I just have a hard time putting a persona on the energy of the universe... (though I have NO trouble talking with my spirit guides!) I think I hold my spirit guides more in the place of what Wiccans hold the Goddess and God. But I think I have 3 of them, not just two.
Blessed be,
SkylarB  

Aster Breo

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2011, 12:38:48 am »
Quote from: SkylarB;18667
Thanks Livia!  So even if I don't think there is a man and woman "God" ... I can just say I'm a Pagan, just not specifically a Wiccan Pagan, or other specific path ?!  Which I'm fine with! :D: I just want to make sure I'm not missing out on learning about a specific path that is similar to my beliefs if there is one and I don't know about it!

"Pagan" is a very broad term, so it can cover a huge variety of paths.  Of course you can say you're "pagan" -- you can say you're pretty much anything.  ;)

To be honest, there probably IS a specific path out there that is similar to your beliefs.  There are lots of people who are creating their own paths, and it stands to reason that one of them is probably at least close to what you're looking for.  But I don't think that's what you mean.

Have you looked into other spiritual practices, besides Wicca?  There are a couple of resources on this site that can give you a starting point:  the Pagan Primer and the Teens and Paganism FAQ.  (Despite its name, the FAQ has lots of good info and links for people who are past their teen years.  Just ignore the parts about things like school and parents.  ;)  )  Another good resource is this website put together by long-time TC member, Jenett.  And there might be some articles that are helpful for you on TC's articles page.

As you read through those things, hopefully, you'll find some ideas that pique your interest, and you'll have more specific questions to post here.  ;)

Good luck!

~ Aster
"The status is not quo."  ~ Dr. Horrible

SkylarB

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2011, 01:02:14 am »
Quote from: Aster Breo;18689

Have you looked into other spiritual practices, besides Wicca?  

As you read through those things, hopefully, you'll find some ideas that pique your interest, and you'll have more specific questions to post here.  ;)

Good luck!

~ Aster

Thank you very much Aster! Perfect! That is exactly what I needed, to be pointed in the right direction!  Tomorrow I'll be reading all day! LOL! I'm so excited to get back into my practicing after a loooong hiatus that I can't hardly think about anything else!

Boy, I do wish I was still a teenager sometimes! And I still feel like one sometimes.. but I haven't been a teenager in almost 20 years! ;)
Blessed be,
SkylarB  

Aster Breo

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2011, 01:12:29 am »
Quote from: SkylarB;18692
Thank you very much Aster! Perfect! That is exactly what I needed, to be pointed in the right direction!  Tomorrow I'll be reading all day! LOL! I'm so excited to get back into my practicing after a loooong hiatus that I can't hardly think about anything else!

You're very welcome!  Have fun reading.  And you might want to jot down the questions that occur to you as you go, so you can remember to post them later.  ;)
"The status is not quo."  ~ Dr. Horrible

veggiewolf

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2011, 10:05:38 am »

You might also want to check out FlameKeeping, which is intended to be a foundation and scaffold for a religious path...and was created by one of our members!

Here's a link to the official FlameKeeping website and we also have a SIG here on TC.

Have fun!
Fluid Morality - my spiritual blog
Eating Monsters - my mental health blog

"Religion does not define a deity- it defines the human approach and interpretation of deity." - Juni
"I hate magical thinking in my magic." - Darkhawk
"...a baseball club; a soccer unkindness; a hockey murder; a football team..." - Cecil, Welcome to Night Vale

SkylarB

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2011, 04:05:12 pm »
Quote from: veggiewolf;18733
You might also want to check out FlameKeeping, which is intended to be a foundation and scaffold for a religious path...and was created by one of our members!

Here's a link to the official FlameKeeping website and we also have a SIG here on TC.

Have fun!

Thanks Veggiewolf!
Blessed be,
SkylarB  

Fagan_the_Pagan

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2011, 02:47:57 am »
The biggest thing is that I don't believe in a Goddess or God, or any deity that is like a "person". I think there is an energy that permeates and is part of everything. It doesn't think or feel, it just goes where it is needed to create balance or it goes to where it is directed. And I can direct that energy by focusing my thoughts, or utilizing crystals and stones, or doing small spells, or meditating, or doing Reiki and other energy healing. Like the Law Of Attraction.

This sounds rather pantheistic to me.  Or possibly panentheistic.

Briefly,

Pantheism: "God" is everything (nothing more than the sum of the universe)
Panentheism: Everything  is a part of "God." (Like pantheism, only God is MORE than the sum of his/her/its parts)

Neither of these necessarily require "deity" to have any discreet identity or personality.
(/|\\)  Fire in the Head: My Blog on Matters Spiritual, Political, or otherwise important to me.
Bardistry Wandworks: My Etsy shop for wands, athames, and other pagan crafts.

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2011, 05:55:42 am »
Quote from: Fagan_the_Pagan;20722
This sounds rather pantheistic to me.  Or possibly panentheistic.

Briefly,

Pantheism: "God" is everything (nothing more than the sum of the universe)
Panentheism: Everything  is a part of "God." (Like pantheism, only God is MORE than the sum of his/her/its parts)

Neither of these necessarily require "deity" to have any discreet identity or personality.

This pantheist who is absolutely not a panentheist would like to quibble with your definitions.  "More than the sum of" can be, and often is, used metaphorically, so I don't think it's all that good a phrase to use to define the difference between pantheism and panentheism.  Also, even with quote marks around it, and even with your disclaimer, using "God" tends to make people think in terms of capital-G omni-omni-foo-foo God.  That's generally okay for the definition of panentheism, because they're usually talking about a Prime Cause that has something resembling agency, even if it's not otherwise personified; not so good for defining pantheism.

So:
Pantheism:  Everything is divine.  There is nothing outside/beyond the divine All-That-Is.
Panentheism:  "God"/The Divine contains everything, and everything is part of "God"/The Divine, but "God"/The Divine also exists beyond everything.

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Tags: