Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Skepticism and Intuition  (Read 2177 times)

Floofy Bunny

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Skepticism and Intuition
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2015, 10:18:44 am »
Quote from: SunflowerP;181714
Since you use the phrase 'quoting guidelines', you've probably read the supplementary rules page of that name, but I'm linking it here just in case you haven't. But the way you've done it here - a general 'thanks, everyone', hung off the most recent post you're thanking, plus a couple of replies in which you're responding to specific points people have made and that quote the posts you're responding to - is exactly right!

That's good to hear, Sunflower, thank you, and I hadn't read the supplemental guidelines so that helped cleared things up!

Floofy Bunny

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2015, 10:24:41 am »
Quote from: Anisaer;181719
Perhaps this intuition leading you towards spirituality (particularly if it came through inner child connection) is your inner self calling you back to an early developmental stage to deal with a hang up or pathology? I'm reading through the Higgenbotham's "Pagan Spirituality" at the moment and the phrasing of your question is bringing up their exposition of developmental stages/phases. Maybe you find it relevant and useful in processing your return to mysticism?

Anisaer, that is really interesting and on point. I have found the inner child very helpful in processing issues of faith and the mysterious. I also was more or less treated as a mini-adult growing up, which has its benefits, but one thing I have done in therapy with the inner child is focus on how my childhood was shortened in many ways, and religion was very much a part of that. At the same time, my mom who grew up very Catholic was exploring other explanations, scientific and religious, I was her intellectual companion through that. It was some of my favorite time with her as we rarely had quiet, focused time with just us. I think my inner child work is deeply woven in with mysticism and my consequential draw to paganism.

I hadn't really realized how deeply these are tied together till now. Thanks, Anisaer! Also, I will have to check out that book. Are you finding it helpful?

Anisaer

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2015, 07:40:23 am »
Quote from: Floofy Bunny;181725
Anisaer, that is really interesting and on point. I have found the inner child very helpful in processing issues of faith and the mysterious. I also was more or less treated as a mini-adult growing up, which has its benefits, but one thing I have done in therapy with the inner child is focus on how my childhood was shortened in many ways, and religion was very much a part of that. At the same time, my mom who grew up very Catholic was exploring other explanations, scientific and religious, I was her intellectual companion through that. It was some of my favorite time with her as we rarely had quiet, focused time with just us. I think my inner child work is deeply woven in with mysticism and my consequential draw to paganism.

I hadn't really realized how deeply these are tied together till now. Thanks, Anisaer! Also, I will have to check out that book. Are you finding it helpful?

Sorry for the delayed reply! I am really enjoying _Pagan Spirituality_. It has a lot of great meditative and journaling options after each chapter, so you may find working through it rather therapeutic also. It's an fantastic exercise in hindsight and naming current needs/goals.

Happy to help and blessings on your journey!

journeyintoinsanity

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2015, 11:28:32 am »
Quote from: Floofy Bunny;181573
Greetings,

I need some help reconciling or working through what feel like conflicting/competing messages about ecauldron and, admittedly, some of my own issues, and I welcome input from more experienced folk.

When I researched online pagan communities, I was most drawn to ecauldron due to the emphasis on critical thinking, debate, etc. I have been searching the boards for various topics and reading a lot of the material on the wiki and am really enjoying the conversations and insight.

That being said, as a "recovering academic" who trained in rhetoric, logic, and argumentation all this is very appealing to me, but a part of my return to witchcraft has been necessitated by the fact that a strictly logical approach doesn't meet all my needs. In fact, through engaging in play therapy and getting in touch with my inner child via therapy, I discovered that I needed spirituality back in my life - and the only thing that has ever had any resonance whatsoever with me is paganism (goddess-centered paganism in particular). And a lot of that has been guided by intuition more than anything, but yet there's all this research and these rules, and I feel a little intimidated and wonder if this is even for me.

My question is for new and old practitioners alike - what do you do to help you work through these conflicts? Currently, the skepticism of my academic training seems so incompatible with the more spiritual, mysterious, and intuitive. I don't think that has to be the case, but it's causing a lot of emotion in my head right now. :(

That's something I'm working on as well. Trusting my intuition more. My brain is hard-wired for research and tangible proof, for things to make sense. And I've been so concerned about "Did I get this right?" I try to look back at my first, initial reaction or impression and go with that because doubt can really do a number on your intuition.

Tags: