Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Pets: Seriously Weird Cat Question  (Read 9242 times)

Please Delete My Account

• Sr. Newbie
  • Please delete my account
    • View Profile
    • delete this account
  • Religion: delete this account
Seriously Weird Cat Question
« on: October 24, 2015, 07:14:44 pm »
Okay, this might seem crazy, but I'm at my wit's end, and so is hubby.

In May we adopted a beautiful little kitten. Well, at the time he was emaciated, filthy and sick. He was born in our shed, his mother wouldn't feed him, and his siblings wouldn't let him near. We knew he would die, so we took him in, bottle fed him and gave him loads of love. He became quite healthy and started to grow quickly. We got his shots, got him treated for coccidia and giardia, and got him neutered. He was very playful, but sweet. Our 6 year old cat Jynx was no fan, but not violent to him.

6 months later we have a demon on our hands. Seriously, after trying every cat training method in the book, we are actually wondering if something malevolent has taken hold of him. He claws and bites all the time. He will grab with both paws, then latch on and tighten like a mad dog. He will come out of nowhere and start biting feet, or be sleeping on a lap only to wake up and start springing around clawing and biting.

He has also taken to stealing anything that is light enough to take, and he will jump on or climb anything he can and chew things or cart them away never to be seen again. We have tried soft talking, loud "No!" commands, clapping, snapping, spray bottles, blowing on his face, hugging, time-outs in the spare room, ignoring him until the pain is too much to bear, and nothing works for long. He will just go right back to violence or destruction. Just today he was eating the pull cord on the blinds, and literally one minute after being moved and yelled at, he's doing it again. This happened several times in a row. I have chased him off the counter at least 5 times today and he's had three or four time-outs for biting.

He gets loved when he'll allow it, but he won't take it often. We want to be kind and loving, but he makes it hard. He's also terrorizing Jynx now. She growls and slaps him and body slams him, and he comes right back for more. He will go at her and just smack at her or bite her belly. No matter how many beatings he gets (she's 9lbs and he's barely 5lbs) he keeps at it.

He gets worse whenever we are trying to relax, have ritual time or meditate. Whenever we're trying to be mellow, he goes into high gear and starts climbing, stealing, even literally trying to climb the walls. He also has fits on the floor where he'll just start biting his own tail and legs and kicking himself in the face. (He doesn't have fleas, by the way.) Also, unlike Jynx who respects my altar and spiritual items (I let her sleep on my altar if she likes, because she's so attracted to anything magical), he knocks over my altar things and chews on hubby's charm bag. I even had to put my Locust tree thorns in a jar, because he kept trying to eat them.

We can't afford to go to the vet again, and I'm not sure they can diagnose mental illness anyway. Do we just have a messed-up crazy cat, or is it possible that he's got something nasty in him? Are there any spells or rituals we could try to help him? I've never been one for exorcisms, but I do know sometimes things and people can need a good ritual cleansing to get bad energy out. Maybe a blessing of some sort? There's got to be something we can do for him.

Here's a photo, for any of you who can read energies and such. (And for those who just want to see him.) We love him, we really do, and we want him to be a real member of the family, but we need help.

« Last Edit: May 07, 2019, 10:17:11 am by RandallS »
Please delete my account and posts from this site.

Allaya

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Idio-syncretic
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
Re: Seriously Weird Cat Question
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2015, 08:08:12 pm »
Quote from: BrianaDragon;181457

In May we adopted a beautiful little kitten. Well, at the time he was emaciated, filthy and sick. He was born in our shed, his mother wouldn't feed him, and his siblings wouldn't let him near. We knew he would die, so we took him in, bottle fed him and gave him loads of love. He became quite healthy and started to grow quickly. We got his shots, got him treated for coccidia and giardia, and got him neutered. He was very playful, but sweet. Our 6 year old cat Jynx was no fan, but not violent to him.

Mom refusing to feed him and siblings distancing themselves should have been a loud and clear message that something was Not Right with that kitten. Animals have a far better sense for these things than we do and one should not lightly dismiss their appraisals.
Service is the rent we pay for the privilege of living on this earth.  — Shirley Chisholm
No doubt the truth can be unpleasant, but I am not sure that unpleasantness is the same as the truth.  — Roger Ebert
It is difficult to get a person to understand something when their livelihood depends upon them not understanding it. — Upton Sinclair (adapted)
People cannot be reasoned out of an opinion that they have not reasoned themselves into. — Fisher Ames (adapted)

Please Delete My Account

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
    • delete this account
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2015, 08:22:01 pm »
Quote from: Allaya;181459
Mom refusing to feed him and siblings distancing themselves should have been a loud and clear message that something was Not Right with that kitten.

All of my cats have been rescues, and some from pretty bad conditions, but they've all been wonderful. He was wonderful for quite some time. He used to love being held and petted and getting treats. He used to be sweet. It wasn't until a couple months ago that he went crazy. We got him fixed thinking it was hormones, but he's gotten worse since.

I remember how cute he used to be. We had to keep him in a great big box when he was little, and he'd raise up and hug your arm to be taken out. He did that for quite a while even after he was bug enough to roam the house. He used to come to the door every morning wanting to be picked up and purr for whoever got up first.

It's the fact that he's gotten more violent and mischievous recently that makes me wonder. We're also under massive stress lately, I have wondered if that's having an effect. Jynx has become nearly attached to me when she used to be more independent, Ghost has just lost his $**t.

Aster Breo

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2015, 09:17:19 pm »
We can't afford to go to the vet again, and I'm not sure they can diagnose mental illness anyway.

To me, what you've described sounds like a cat in intermittent pain. Physical pain. Which can effect his mood and personality, just like pain effects a person's mood and personality.

I understand financial constraints. (I REALLY understand.) Have you checked thoroughly in your area for low cost vet clinics?  Also, some vets will allow deferred payment and/or payment plans for emergencies. It's definitely worth calling all the vets in your area, explaining the situation, and asking if they would be willing to work with you on the payment issue.

You might also call your local humane society to ask of they know of a vet who might be willing to help. Even local universities that might have vet schools.

Also, check the cat VERY thoroughly for fleas with a good flea comb. Over several days. Fleas can drive a cat nuts, but daily combing will go a long way to solving that problem. And it's super cheap.

I know this isn't what you want to hear. But, honestly, I think your cat needs a doctor, not a ritual.

Good luck! You and your cats will be in my thoughts.
"The status is not quo."  ~ Dr. Horrible

Please Delete My Account

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
    • delete this account
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2015, 09:44:20 pm »
Quote from: Aster Breo;181461
To me, what you've described sounds like a cat in intermittent pain. ... Have you checked thoroughly in your area for low cost vet clinics?  ...Also, check the cat VERY thoroughly for fleas with a good flea comb. ...I know this isn't what you want to hear. But, honestly, I think your cat needs a doctor, not a ritual.

Good luck! You and your cats will be in my thoughts.

Well, when we last took him the vet gave him a clean bill of health, and that was only two months ago.
Unfortunately the clinic here only does certain days of certain months, but I have been keeping my eyes peeled for news of one of their free days.
We treated both cats for fleas after we got him, because he brought them in. We did the whole vacuum every day, bathe them twice a week, treat with DE and all of it. They have been flea-free for about 3 months now. We're also still doing daily litter cleaning, bowl washing and DE treatments as a precaution post-parasites.

There's nothing in particular I want to hear, I just want my fur baby happy and well-behaved. We feel like we've eliminated all the mundane issues, so we were kind of reaching, especially knowing that cats can be sensitive to our energies and other stuff going on, including spirits. I actually appreciate any suggestions or thoughts, mundane or otherwise. I love all my pets, so it hurts to see one of them so out of sorts.

Thank you very much for your time and your thoughts for his well-being.

Mountain Cat

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2015, 10:45:23 pm »

6 months later we have a demon on our hands. Seriously, after trying every cat training method in the book, we are actually wondering if something malevolent has taken hold of him. He claws and bites all the time. He will grab with both paws, then latch on and tighten like a mad dog. He will come out of nowhere and start biting feet, or be sleeping on a lap only to wake up and start springing around clawing and biting.

He has also taken to stealing anything that is light enough to take, and he will jump on or climb anything he can and chew things or cart them away never to be seen again. We have tried soft talking, loud "No!" commands, clapping, snapping, spray bottles, blowing on his face, hugging, time-outs in the spare room, ignoring him until the pain is too much to bear, and nothing works for long. He will just go right back to violence or destruction. Just today he was eating the pull cord on the blinds, and literally one minute after being moved and yelled at, he's doing it again. This happened several times in a row. I have chased him off the counter at least 5 times today and he's had three or four time-outs for biting.

He gets loved when he'll allow it, but he won't take it often. We want to be kind and loving, but he makes it hard. He's also terrorizing Jynx now. She growls and slaps him and body slams him, and he comes right back for more. He will go at her and just smack at her or bite her belly. No matter how many beatings he gets (she's 9lbs and he's barely 5lbs) he keeps at it.

He gets worse whenever we are trying to relax, have ritual time or meditate. Whenever we're trying to be mellow, he goes into high gear and starts climbing, stealing, even literally trying to climb the walls. He also has fits on the floor where he'll just start biting his own tail and legs and kicking himself in the face. (He doesn't have fleas, by the way.) Also, unlike Jynx who respects my altar and spiritual items (I let her sleep on my altar if she likes, because she's so attracted to anything magical), he knocks over my altar things and chews on hubby's charm bag. I even had to put my Locust tree thorns in a jar, because he kept trying to eat them.

We can't afford to go to the vet again, and I'm not sure they can diagnose mental illness anyway. Do we just have a messed-up crazy cat, or is it possible that he's got something nasty in him? Are there any spells or rituals we could try to help him? I've never been one for exorcisms, but I do know sometimes things and people can need a good ritual cleansing to get bad energy out. Maybe a blessing of some sort? There's got to be something we can do for him.

Here's a photo, for any of you who can read energies and such. (And for those who just want to see him.) We love him, we really do, and we want him to be a real member of the family, but we need help.

Okay, two things:

One, next  time you get him to a vet ask about feline hyperaesthesia. Google it yourself and see if this sounds like PART of his problem. It's not a big deal or anything to be afraid of, but there are a few things in your description that sound like he may have a few symptoms, such as the fits on the floor with biting and kicking himself. And yes, vets can diagnose mental illness, but try simple things before difficult things.

Two, what do you do with him for play time? He's, what, six months old? How long are your play sessions? Having mostly ruled out medical issues, to me, this sounds like play aggression.

All of the activities you have described him doing sound like play aggression. This is something you can fix. He is at the height of his predatory play learning phase. The reason he will bite your hand and latch on and go crazy is because if a baby cat doesn't have siblings and a mama cat to play with they miss the crucial developmental phase in which they learn bite inhibition. It's important to learn and if they don't learn it when they are young, then when they get older they will still play with a human's hands and feet in the same way they did when they were little, only now it's painful and frightening. Never let him be play with your feet and hands as if they are toys. Move away every time and just leave him alone.  

He's at the age when he will be going through his most "playful" stage. Meaning, he has taken every "play and kill" instinct he has and is learning to perfect them. Now is a good age to begin teaching him, which can be done, even though it takes time, to redirect his prey instinct aggression in proper ways.

If you aren't actively engaging in proper play with him, then this will continue to get worse.

You need to get a wand toy and play with him two or three times a day for as long as it takes for him to be tired of it. Ten minutes, half an hour, whatever it takes. Every day. Try it for a couple of weeks and how it goes. Get a bunch of little balls and toss them around for him to run after, as well as the wand. If this bothers your other kitty, or if he wont play while she's around, then put her in your room while the play goes on, though that's not necessary, she might like watching him play.

Next, cats don't respond easily to negative reinforcement. Meaning spray bottles and yelling will just not make sense to them, for the most part. It just confuses them and they end up associating scary noises and scary wet spray bottles with the human they love and it confuses them even more. Try the play--as active and energetic as you can make it--and see how that goes.

And yeah, cats can be very sensitive to energies. If you are confused and he is confused (because he didn't go through proper development with a mama cat) then that could be making him aggressive in the wrong ways at the wrong times. You want to stop this quickly before his relationship with your other cat goes downhill too far.

Sorry if this sounds really basic, but I have met lots of people who don't know these basics, so I always explain, just in case. :) I've worked with lots of cats with issues. Let me know if you want some more advice or help either here or in a PM.

Queen of Swords

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2015, 11:09:48 pm »

Some of this sounds normal, like climbing and stealing. I had to get a cat tree for my cat to keep him from climbing our shelves. He still steals things and hides them under the couch! As Mountain Cat said, it sounds like Ghost might need to be guided into more acceptable forms of play, too. When my little Ares wasn't getting enough attention and play time, he'd throw tantrums, tears things up, take dried poop out of his litter box and play with it.

If you give him an acceptable outlet for climbing (which might even just be a desire to be up high) and daily vigorous play sessions and he doesn't improve, you should consider seeing the vet again. Fits and attacks that seem to come from nowhere can indicate a neurological issue, which would require medication.

Please Delete My Account

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
    • delete this account
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2015, 11:23:35 pm »
Quote from: Queen of Swords;181465
take dried poop out of his litter box and play with it.

Oh god, he does that! And when you try to take it from him he tries to swallow it! It's disturbing.

Please Delete My Account

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
    • delete this account
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2015, 11:29:42 pm »
Quote from: Mountain Cat;181464
Okay, two things:

One, next  time you get him to a vet ask about feline hyperaesthesia.

Two, what do you do with him for play time? He's, what, six months old? How long are your play sessions? Having mostly ruled out medical issues, to me, this sounds like play aggression. Let me know if you want some more advice or help either here or in a PM.

Oh god, I am going to try not to think of that disorder. Gods willing there is nothing like that wrong with him. However, I will look into it more. I always pray nothing major is wrong with my babies and have been blessed fro all my years, but I won't play the fool and disregard it.

Hubby and I do play, but not to the point of exhaustion. We'll try that. Oddly, he is as mellow as a stoner with dad. He never bites him or attacks him or anything.

Thank you for the offer, I may contact you. And thanks to everyone, we want our baby well.

Mountain Cat

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2015, 11:52:57 pm »
Quote from: BrianaDragon;181467
Oh god, I am going to try not to think of that disorder. Gods willing there is nothing like that wrong with him. However, I will look into it more. I always pray nothing major is wrong with my babies and have been blessed fro all my years, but I won't play the fool and disregard it.

Hubby and I do play, but not to the point of exhaustion. We'll try that. Oddly, he is as mellow as a stoner with dad. He never bites him or attacks him or anything.

Thank you for the offer, I may contact you. And thanks to everyone, we want our baby well.

Don't be freaked out by the feline hyperaesthesia. I have a kitty with it and it's not too big of a deal. They're just twitchy. :)

I'd recommend playing with him before meal times and a couple of hours before bed. Or, if you know when he has some wild crazy times, play then, too! Some cats like to wrestle a bit, too. You can get these kicker stuffed toys and use those to wrestle around with them, so long as they're grabbing the toy they usually ignore your hands. If you can't get a proper one, stuffed animal toys work well. :)

Really hope it helps. :)

Please Delete My Account

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
    • delete this account
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2015, 12:28:11 am »
Quote from: Mountain Cat;181469
Don't be freaked out by the feline hyperaesthesia. I have a kitty with it and it's not too big of a deal. They're just twitchy. :)

If you can't get a proper one, stuffed animal toys work well. :)

Really hope it helps. :)

I'll keep that in mind.
I am very crafty, so if I need to make a toy to keep my baby healthy and happy, you can bet your bippy I will. (Truth is, I can never have real babies, so my animals are really dear to me.)

Thank you so much.

Queen of Swords

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2015, 03:51:13 pm »
Quote from: BrianaDragon;181466
Oh god, he does that! And when you try to take it from him he tries to swallow it! It's disturbing.

I was really despondant and horrified at first by the poop thing, LOL. "Why is my precious cat being so disgusting?!" I can't recall what was going on at the time, I think I might have been sick and less available, but it was my boyfriend who suggested that it might be an attention seeking behavior.

Good luck with your boy, I hope he lives a long, healthy life with your family!

Please Delete My Account

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
    • delete this account
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2015, 04:08:32 pm »
Quote from: Queen of Swords;181474
Good luck with your boy, I hope he lives a long, healthy life with your family!

Hmm. Very annoying that I have to quote someone to leave a response.
I actually just wanted to post a general thank you to everyone who has responded. I've done quite a bit of research on displaced aggression, Hyperaesthesia and behavioral issues that can affect cats not raised by their natural brood. We have a plan of action and hopefully he will get better soon. I'll be sure to keep everyone updated.

CalicoNyanko

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2016, 11:14:10 pm »
Quote from: BrianaDragon;181460
All of my cats have been rescues, and some from pretty bad conditions, but they've all been wonderful. He was wonderful for quite some time. He used to love being held and petted and getting treats. He used to be sweet. It wasn't until a couple months ago that he went crazy. We got him fixed thinking it was hormones, but he's gotten worse since.

I remember how cute he used to be. We had to keep him in a great big box when he was little, and he'd raise up and hug your arm to be taken out. He did that for quite a while even after he was bug enough to roam the house. He used to come to the door every morning wanting to be picked up and purr for whoever got up first.

It's the fact that he's gotten more violent and mischievous recently that makes me wonder. We're also under massive stress lately, I have wondered if that's having an effect. Jynx has become nearly attached to me when she used to be more independent, Ghost has just lost his $**t.

I hope at this point you have figured something out, but in case this is still going on, I wanted to suggest a Cat Pheremone collar.  I had a similar issue with one of my cats a few years ago--I was pregnant and my usually-sweet cat suddenly started attacking me (He shredded my arm and left scars), as well as attacking our other cat, and spraying on the walls.  I talked to my sister, who is a vet tech, and she said a lot of cat behavioral issues can be solved with a pheremone collar or pheremone diffuser.  Apparently if cats are stressed, scared, anxious, or are adjusting to new situations, these pheremone collars can help calm and soothe them.  It worked to a degree with our cat.  The problem wasn't solved, but it was definitely manageable.  

I do hope things have worked out and all is well with you and your fur baby.

dragonflydreamer68

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
  • Religion: druidism
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2016, 03:23:15 pm »

here are a few things ive discovered with cats, if it has any amount of siamese in its genes, it will steal non-stop, they cant help themselves lol.
 also if its terrorizing your other cat its quite possible its not completely neutered, sometimes both testicles are not descended at the time of neutering causing the vet to miss one, ive seen this happen in 2 different cats, so  it maybe that the other testicle is finally dropped and not all vets are good vets, so maybe if you feel the need to take him back to get checked you should find a different vet, its the same as any doctor, it never hurts to have a second opinion.
another thing is if he has the feline version of kidney stones it will be like he is pissing shards of glass, very painful for him and the pain drives them crazy aggressive he will also piss anywhere and everywhere with this condition, its a simple fix with an antibiotic and higher end catfood.
good luck , i hope this helps

Tags: