Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Problems with smudging  (Read 6315 times)

Ehina

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: She/Her
Problems with smudging
« on: October 22, 2015, 01:18:54 pm »
So I have been attempting to smudge my house after the passing of one of our cats. During her passing I was extremely uneasy, I couldn't sleep in my room and I constantly felt ill. Now after she has passed there is a lingering uneasy feeling through out the basement (Our other boy ginger cat [ the one in my avatar, isn't he cute!] won't even come down stairs now, which on the stairs and in my room are his favorite places to be). I have tried smudging and here is where my problem lies.
I can't keep either of my sticks to stay burning. I have both a white sage and a cedar stick that will catch a flame and start to smoke but they won't stay smoking, within a few minutes they burn themselves out and I have to try and re light them again and again. I have never had this problem before, any ideas/ suggestions?

Eta: I am not trying to use both sticks at once, I have just noticed that they are both not wanting to stay lit, the cedar one more so than the sage.

Gigi Kiersten

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • http://www.cheapskatewitch.com
Re: Problems with smudging
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2015, 03:34:15 pm »
Quote from: Ehina;181383
So I have been attempting to smudge my house after the passing of one of our cats. During her passing I was extremely uneasy, I couldn't sleep in my room and I constantly felt ill. Now after she has passed there is a lingering uneasy feeling through out the basement (Our other boy ginger cat [ the one in my avatar, isn't he cute!] won't even come down stairs now, which on the stairs and in my room are his favorite places to be). I have tried smudging and here is where my problem lies.
I can't keep either of my sticks to stay burning. I have both a white sage and a cedar stick that will catch a flame and start to smoke but they won't stay smoking, within a few minutes they burn themselves out and I have to try and re light them again and again. I have never had this problem before, any ideas/ suggestions?

Eta: I am not trying to use both sticks at once, I have just noticed that they are both not wanting to stay lit, the cedar one more so than the sage.

Have you tried salt? You can sprinkle salt around your home. Personally, I use salt water for daily cleansing and that often works. Also I call them pot spells, but you can boil some protective herbs in water and that is also an effective way to smudge without burning incense.

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2015, 06:36:18 pm »

I would try a different method of cleansing. Jenny has already suggested salt water. The method I find most effective requires a loadstone (or a magnet if you don't have a lodestone you can bare to part with). Go through the room completely like you were dusting it with the manget while visualize the magnet vacuuming up all the negativity in the room. When you are done, take the lodestone/magnet outside and put it in the trash.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

LunaStar

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2015, 07:19:50 pm »

Are you familiar with Palo Santo?  For me, it's the best item for smudging.  It's helped me get rid of a few scary spirits.  I believe it heals the spirits and guides them to where they need to be.  Don't forget to ask for help from and angel or faery and you can always place an opalite or other angelic crystal in the area to help you with this.

Gigi Kiersten

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2015, 01:39:44 pm »
Quote from: LunaStar;181489
Are you familiar with Palo Santo?  For me, it's the best item for smudging.  It's helped me get rid of a few scary spirits.  I believe it heals the spirits and guides them to where they need to be.  Don't forget to ask for help from and angel or faery and you can always place an opalite or other angelic crystal in the area to help you with this.

I never heard of this. I checked it on google, and I might buy some check it out. Thanks for the tip!

HarpingHawke

• Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: shapeshifting, witchery, polytheism. under endless construction.
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2015, 04:11:18 pm »
Quote from: Jenny Cee;181518
I never heard of this. I checked it on google, and I might buy some check it out. Thanks for the tip!

Just as something to keep in mind, Palo Santo is actually becoming endangered because of all the demand for it.
"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." - Hemingway

LunaStar

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2015, 04:38:35 pm »
Quote from: HarpingHawke;181523
Just as something to keep in mind, Palo Santo is actually becoming endangered because of all the demand for it.

Oh dear I'll definitely have to look into that! I was under the impression that Palo Santo was only ever harvested when branches fell naturally. I certainly wouldn't want to contribute to its  endangerment !

LunaStar

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2015, 07:39:30 pm »
Quote from: HarpingHawke;181523

I spent the afternoon researching this, and found that Palo Santo was endangered and measures have and continue to be taken to preserve the species.  For example, a new technology was developed to make Palo Santo Essential oil from the seed rather than the bark of the tree, and there are active groups working on the sustainability of the species.  

Please feel free to send me links to more accurate/current information if you feel so inclined.  I love this magickal tree and would really like to continue using it for my practice but I would definitely stop if it risks it's extinction.

HarpingHawke

• Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: shapeshifting, witchery, polytheism. under endless construction.
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2015, 09:21:41 pm »
Quote from: LunaStar;181531
I spent the afternoon researching this, and found that Palo Santo was endangered and measures have and continue to be taken to preserve the species.  For example, a new technology was developed to make Palo Santo Essential oil from the seed rather than the bark of the tree, and there are active groups working on the sustainability of the species.  

Please feel free to send me links to more accurate/current information if you feel so inclined.  I love this magickal tree and would really like to continue using it for my practice but I would definitely stop if it risks it's extinction.

Ooh, that's interesting info! Thanks for giving an update on that--I know I'd heard about it a few months back, so seeing this new info is really good news!
"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." - Hemingway

Gigi Kiersten

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2015, 08:54:28 am »
Quote from: LunaStar;181531

Wow, that's pretty sad that they tree is becoming endangered. So I'll stick with salt water.

Tags: