Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Altair
[April 09, 2024, 09:29:08 am]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Jenett
[April 08, 2024, 09:09:39 pm]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Sefiru
[April 08, 2024, 06:09:38 pm]

Re: Supermarket Witches by SirPalomides
[April 08, 2024, 09:49:17 am]

Author Topic: House flooded. Because of course it did.  (Read 1427 times)

Morag

• Senior Staff
  • cranky witch mom
    • View Profile
    • Priestess of the 3
  • Religion: Priestess of the 3
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
House flooded. Because of course it did.
« on: October 13, 2015, 01:40:57 am »
This is half-vent, half-request for prayers, good vibes, what have you.

We came home after Sunday night Thanksgiving dinner w/ my in-laws to find our basement suite flooding. The carpet is soaked, the drywall is leaking water in places, and it was only the fact that we're very messy people who left a pile of laundry on top of the thing that saved our subwoofer from getting drowned. It was 1am when we got home; we immediately spent time on contacting the landlords' daughter (they were out of town until this evening) and trying to move our shit out of the line of water. We didn't get to sleep until 5 am and then had to get up around 8:30 to deal with the contractors coming in to figure shit out. We got a nap this afternoon, and now we're up and trying to deal with this some more.

It was a toilet leak. So there's an air scrubber to remove any possible poop particles from the air, the carpet all needs to be removed, the drywall needs to come down...we need to spend the next several hours moving stuff so that they can do that. Our house will basically be unlivable for a good long while.

What I had planned on doing when we got home that night was working on the rest of my wedding stuff...like my bouquet, or some centrepiece stuff, or bouquets/chest pins (boutienneres or however they're spelled) for our attendants, or, you know, literally any of the seven million things that need to be done before Friday. Instead I'm trying to rescue my shambles of a house and probably move us and our wedding crap to his parents' place, along with whatever clothing I need for non-wedding days.

We're very lucky in that none of our crap was ruined. (I mean, ok, our clothes were soaked in toilet greywater, but nothing a run thru the washing machine won't fix. Hopefully.) Our electronics are all okay, even though the wall behind the TV was buckling with water.

Basically, it could be way worse, but the timing makes it seem like the end of the world. I could really need prayers for strength, energy, and my sanity to come back to me. Oh, and for our wedding to maybe actually happen, because at this point it seems like Murphy is the patron god of this fucking event.  

Ok. Back to moving stuff around so the dudes can work tomorrow. I'm not sure how good my internet connection will be, so I will try to be online as much as possible but we'll see what happens.

Thanks everyone.

~Morag (and Ogre)
Pray drunk. Hex sober.
Priestess of the 3
"The most powerful god at any given moment is the one who can solve the moment's problem."
-Darkhawk

Emma Eldritch

• Staff
    • View Profile
    • https://rocknrollwitch.blogspot.ca/
Re: House flooded. Because of course it did.
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2015, 01:56:08 am »
Quote from: Morag;180973

Basically, it could be way worse, but the timing makes it seem like the end of the world. I could really need prayers for strength, energy, and my sanity to come back to me. Oh, and for our wedding to maybe actually happen, because at this point it seems like Murphy is the patron god of this fucking event.  

Holy bejeebus, could you guys just catch a break? Like, damn. One thing after another.

You and the Ogre are both in my prayers for strength. You will get through this and your wedding will be awesome.

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2015, 07:48:16 am »
We came home after Sunday night Thanksgiving dinner w/ my in-laws to find our basement suite flooding.

A few years ago Lyric and I woke up to about a 1/4 inch of water on the floor in our den, kitchen, and utility room from a leaking dishwasher value. This was a royal pain to clean up and it was mild compared to what your leak sounds like. I can't begin to imagine what a pain this must be.  And that's not even thinking about the "right before our wedding" timing.

Good thoughts and prayers (for your sanity and wedding ) are coming your way.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

Sophia C

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://leithincluan.wordpress.com/
  • Religion: Druid, Celtic & contemplative Christian, Gaelic-ish polytheist, on a mystic path
  • Preferred Pronouns: They/them
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2015, 08:53:18 am »

Dear gods that's bad timing for you. I will send up some prayers to Brighid in her role as hearth goddess for you. And maybe also to deities of water and chaos! I do hope things improve as much as possible for you and Ogre before the wedding.
"We're all stories, in the end. Make it a good one, eh?"
- Doctor Who

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2015, 08:53:22 pm »
This is half-vent, half-request for prayers, good vibes, what have you.

Ok. Back to moving stuff around so the dudes can work tomorrow. I'm not sure how good my internet connection will be, so I will try to be online as much as possible but we'll see what happens.

Argh, fuck.

Conversation, some of it stern, with deity-type people, now occurring. Virtual torso-compression hugs now, and physical ones on Friday.

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

HarpingHawke

• Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: shapeshifting, witchery, polytheism. under endless construction.
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2015, 03:17:20 pm »
Quote from: Mama Fortuna;180974
Holy bejeebus, could you guys just catch a break? Like, damn. One thing after another.

I know! Jeeeeez this is not okay.

Y'all are in my prayers too.
"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." - Hemingway

Morag

• Senior Staff
  • cranky witch mom
    • View Profile
    • Priestess of the 3
  • Religion: Priestess of the 3
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2015, 10:57:11 pm »
Quote from: Mama Fortuna;180974

You and the Ogre are both in my prayers for strength. You will get through this and your wedding will be awesome.

Quote from: RandallS;180975
A few years ago Lyric and I woke up to about a 1/4 inch of water on the floor in our den, kitchen, and utility room from a leaking dishwasher value. This was a royal pain to clean up and it was mild compared to what your leak sounds like. I can't begin to imagine what a pain this must be.  And that's not even thinking about the "right before our wedding" timing.

Good thoughts and prayers (for your sanity and wedding ) are coming your way.

Quote from: Naomi J;180977
Dear gods that's bad timing for you. I will send up some prayers to Brighid in her role as hearth goddess for you. And maybe also to deities of water and chaos! I do hope things improve as much as possible for you and Ogre before the wedding.

Quote from: SunflowerP;181034
Argh, fuck.

Conversation, some of it stern, with deity-type people, now occurring. Virtual torso-compression hugs now, and physical ones on Friday.

Sunflower

Quote from: HarpingHawke;181065
I know! Jeeeeez this is not okay.

Y'all are in my prayers too.

Thank you so much everyone. I know your prayers/stern convos with deity-type people helped, because I was able to find some small nuggets of sanity to get me through the week, and things have actually been pretty good, all things considered.

The restoration has been started; carpet's been ripped up in relevant places and drywall taken down. Our bedroom and office were not affected, thank the gods, though when it comes time to put down new carpet we will have to have those rooms empty...not looking forward to that. BUT, new carpet is going to take a few weeks to even show up, so we have time to pack things up starting Wednesday/Thursday this week.

Our landlords are on top of things getting fixed and are giving us a reduction in rent for so long as repairs are going on, which is likely into November, so 2 months half rent is a huge help. They're also letting us store stuff in their garage and such so that when we need to empty the house for carpet to be done, it doesn't have to be loaded into a car and driven away and then driven back. Hallelujah! We will have to stay elsewhere while they do the carpet, but this means they can just blitz it and have it done in a day or so, so that's good.

In the meantime, the wedding went really well (which I'll post about in a new thread), and we are leaving for our honeymoon tomorrow (2 nights at a resort in Harrison Hot Springs).

Thanks again, everyone. So, so much.

<3
Morag and Ogre/Mr. Morag
Pray drunk. Hex sober.
Priestess of the 3
"The most powerful god at any given moment is the one who can solve the moment's problem."
-Darkhawk

Tags: