Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Altair
[April 09, 2024, 09:29:08 am]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Jenett
[April 08, 2024, 09:09:39 pm]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Sefiru
[April 08, 2024, 06:09:38 pm]

Re: Supermarket Witches by SirPalomides
[April 08, 2024, 09:49:17 am]

Author Topic: The Shift from Gods to Saints and Angels  (Read 7193 times)

Haganrix

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
The Shift from Gods to Saints and Angels
« on: October 09, 2015, 02:14:24 pm »
Monotheism spiritually is based on hierarchy, polytheism on equality. Thus the Orthodox Greek Church transformed Gods to Saints e. g. Helios-Apollon now is considered to be Saint Elias, Satan may be the equivalent to Prometheus.

Islam has no Saints as Protestantism hasn't, but those monotheist faculties still deal with angels, the most familiar one... is Gabriel, the archangel.

Although monotheists could hardly do anthing else cause they neglect the spiritual equality I find it unserious to replace Gods by Saints and Angels.

However, as we are polytheists, how should we consider the changes from Gods to Saints and Angels? And the replacement of equality by hierarchy?

What are your views?
« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 02:16:33 pm by Haganrix »

HarpingHawke

• Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: shapeshifting, witchery, polytheism. under endless construction.
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/them
Re: The Shift from Gods to Saints and Angels
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2015, 02:49:58 pm »
Quote from: Haganrix;180875
Monotheism spiritually is based on hierarchy, polytheism on equality.

I've thought about this for several minutes, and I'm not entirely sure how it's true. Would you mind explaining further or linking a source to better elaborate on how that works?
« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 02:50:24 pm by HarpingHawke »
"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." - Hemingway

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; UU; CoX; Etc
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, they, she
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2015, 06:32:02 pm »

A glib definition of "hubris", a specifically Hellenic religious concept, would be "aspiring to equality with the gods."  It tends to hurt.

However, as we are polytheists, how should we consider the changes from Gods to Saints and Angels?

If contemplating other people's theologies floats your boat, have fun.
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

Faemon

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2015, 11:44:52 pm »
Although monotheists could hardly do anthing else cause they neglect the spiritual equality I find it unserious to replace Gods by Saints and Angels. However, as we are polytheists, how should we consider the changes from Gods to Saints and Angels? And the replacement of equality by hierarchy? What are your views?

I have two contradictory views. First, that the "insider" view from any one established religion (or culture) is uniquely irreconcilable with any other. Second, that cultural exchange happens all the time.

I also have this idea about some deities being positioned further away from devotees because they are so important, but this can consequently generate a closer bond between a devotee and the supposed intermediary whereby the intermediary becomes a larger part of the life of the devotee. That perhaps is an individual quirk, and maybe you can observe the household Lares and Olympians like you're supposed to. I've personally been raised Catholic until my family converted to a Pentecostal tradition, and maybe my initial conditioned reaction was to wonder if talking directly to God and expecting answers back would make theophany less valuable. It doesn't, by the way, but what then confers "value" in either hierarchy or diversity?

So, I don't know about Greek Orthodoxy, but I have encountered some very defensive Catholics who insist that veneration of the saints is not idolatry or polytheism. I didn't say that it was so, until they said that it certainly definitely was not so; after that, I began to wonder if it might be so just because it sounded like an interesting idea. Who wants to collect some Catholics and some polytheists and put them all in a laboratory for brain scans during prayer? Then we can compare polytheism to saint veneration.

No, I'm joking about that last part. I think this is one of those times that we ought to simply believe in what somebody else says about their own beliefs...and not believe what somebody else says about your belief (unless they are your priest/ess.) Your Apollo might be a personification of the sun, patron of prophets and musicians, and have some ex-boyfriends who are also flowers. You are not under a command to venerate Saint Elias when you worship Apollo. Must Greek Orthodox people venerate Apollo when they venerate Saint Elias? (Must you bother with wondering this if they are not converting you? Disregard this paragraph if you are converting to Greek Orthodoxy but are uncomfortable with the syncretism and is the real reason for this topic. I mean...Prometheus as Satan? Pan has been Satan for hundreds of years! I thought Hades was the next Pan-Satan. :p)

You write that this replaces equality with hierarchy, but...I think you can still have equality if you want to? How will Greek Orthodoxy stop you? Maybe it's different with Relational Polytheism versus Immersive Polytheism versus Devotional Polytheism but I haven't kept up with the labeling trends in polytheistic communities beyond the spelling of the things, or how those apply to Hellenism, or if Hellenism applies to those.

I can sort of understand the feeling of appropriation, but...is this orthodox truly such a powerful institution that you will be systemically compelled to follow it? Suppose you do emerge victorious from criticizing Greek Orthodoxy, so that no cultural exchange continues, and gods are gods where they are gods, and saints are saints where they are saints, and statues of feather-winged angels in togas are not muses at all. What next? Organize angry letter-writing to NASA for naming their space ships Apollo? Pick a millennia-old bone with Roman reconstructionists?
The Codex of Poesy: wishcraft, faelatry, alchemy, and other slight misspellings.
the Otherfaith: Chromatic Genderbending Faery Monarchs of Technology. DeviantArt

Chatelaine

• Staff
  • Metaphors be with you.
    • View Profile
    • Are We There Yet?
  • Religion: Eastern Orthodox Christian
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2015, 08:30:49 am »

Yes, I'm sure Zeus was egalitarianism personified.

Thus the Orthodox Greek Church transformed Gods to Saints e. g. Helios-Apollon now is considered to be Saint Elias, Satan may be the equivalent to Prometheus.

There is no 'Saint Elias'. The story of the Prophet Elijah and his assumption into heaven in a blazing chariot dates several centuries before Christianity.

Islam has no Saints as Protestantism hasn't, but those monotheist faculties still deal with angels, the most familiar one... is Gabriel, the archangel.

Funny, the Archangel Michael is a lot more popular among Protestants.

Although monotheists could hardly do anthing else cause they neglect the spiritual equality I find it unserious to replace Gods by Saints and Angels.

I find it 'unserious' to make sweeping claims without any substantiation.

However, as we are polytheists, how should we consider the changes from Gods to Saints and Angels? And the replacement of equality by hierarchy?

By studying primary sources and getting your facts right. I recommend starting with the Mesopotamian creation myths.
'You created us restless, O Lord, and we find no rest until we rest in You.'
~St Augustine~
Whole blog o' nonsense: Are We There Yet?

Haganrix

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2015, 03:46:30 pm »
Quote from: Chatelaine;180894

There is no 'Saint Elias'. The story of the Prophet Elijah and his assumption into heaven in a blazing chariot dates several centuries before Christianity.

Funny, the Archangel Michael is a lot more popular among Protestants.

Error, it is not about Elijah but about Elias in Greece!

Gabriel exists in Islam, sure. By the way, not the name counts in the first place but what the character means.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2015, 03:48:40 pm by Haganrix »

Haganrix

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2015, 04:00:08 pm »
Quote from: Faemon;180888
No, I'm joking about that last part. I think this is one of those times that we ought to simply believe in what somebody else says about their own beliefs...and [i
not[/i] believe what somebody else says about your belief (unless they are your priest/ess.) Your Apollo might be a personification of the sun, patron of prophets and musicians, and have some ex-boyfriends who are also flowers. You are not under a command to venerate Saint Elias when you worship Apollo. Must Greek Orthodox people venerate Apollo when they venerate Saint Elias? (Must you bother with wondering this if they are not converting you? Disregard this paragraph if you are converting to Greek Orthodoxy but are uncomfortable with the syncretism and is the real reason for this topic. I mean...Prometheus as Satan? Pan has been Satan for hundreds of years! I thought Hades was the next Pan-Satan. :p)

So many scientists compare Loki to Prometheus, comparing the sources. Pan may have the outer appearance of Satan, but Loki and Prometheus the substance. Of course, the latters are not totally bad but that is an outcome of the monotheist religions
« Last Edit: October 10, 2015, 04:01:14 pm by Haganrix »

Chatelaine

• Staff
  • Metaphors be with you.
    • View Profile
    • Are We There Yet?
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2015, 07:05:11 pm »
Quote from: Haganrix;180901
Error, it is not about Elijah but about Elias in Greece!

Elias is the Greek form of Elijah. In his icons and the churches dedicated to him he's called 'Prophet Elias', not 'Saint Elias'. Like this.

Gabriel exists in Islam, sure. By the way, not the name counts in the first place but what the character means.

I have no idea what you're going on about here.
~St Augustine~

Faemon

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2015, 11:14:50 pm »
Quote from: Haganrix;180902
So many scientists compare Loki to Prometheus, comparing the sources. Pan may have the outer appearance of Satan, but Loki and Prometheus the substance.

Scientists? Do you mean folklorists, mythologists? Because God and gods do not have "substance" the way I understand it. You have substance (flesh) and I have substance (flesh) and we are separate, with different government identification.

Gods are what the individual recognizes or intuits. Recognition or intuition is maybe "substance", so never certain, even with study. In some Christian traditions, the archangel Michael is the spirit substance of Jesus, and Jesus is the flesh substance of Michael. This tradition has "scientists" or experts of intuition...but if, for example, my intuition is that Michael and Jesus are not the same, my intuition means nothing to Mormon Christians or Adventist Christians. Your scientists of Prometheus-is-Satan mean nothing to me.

When some Christians say all other religions worship different forms of their Satan, and change the legislation so that non-Christians suffer, and create a culture to do the same...that is unserious, not respectful of polytheist life and belief. If monotheists "syncretize" and "appropriate" from polytheists, maybe that is unserious also.

But what can you do? Are you not at liberty to worship Apollo as Hellenic Reconstructionist, because somebody else worships the same Apollo as Neo-Wiccan and unserious?
« Last Edit: October 10, 2015, 11:23:11 pm by Faemon »
The Codex of Poesy: wishcraft, faelatry, alchemy, and other slight misspellings.
the Otherfaith: Chromatic Genderbending Faery Monarchs of Technology. DeviantArt

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2015, 07:47:48 am »

Polytheism on equality? I think that's really stretching things. Every pantheon of deities I know of has some type of hierarchy. With some it can be informal (where some deities are simply more powerful or important than others) while in some it can be quite formal with a "king" (or "queen") of the Gods and a hierarchical court around that deity.

Thus the Orthodox Greek Church transformed Gods to Saints e. g.  Helios-Apollon now is considered to be Saint Elias, Satan may be the  equivalent to Prometheus.

Even if this is true, I doubt the actual diety was transformed regardless of what some group of people decides to transform him/her into so what does it matter to people not follwing the religion with the "transformed" deities?
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

Haganrix

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2015, 12:21:00 pm »
Quote from: Chatelaine;180894

I find it 'unserious' to make sweeping claims without any substantiation.

Zeus has always been the Chairmen who never denied any other divinity's existence. His daughter Athena is a Goddess, isn't she?

Substantiations are existing quite a lot, the exchange of The Mother of The Gods, Kybele, others keep Isis for her, by Maria, Jahwe gaining characters of Baal, Jesua many of Horus.

So what is hubris as I also read above? That depends on your belief as all of you defenitely know. So I consider it as an attiude of hubris to deny the Gods.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2015, 12:23:19 pm by Haganrix »

Chatelaine

• Staff
  • Metaphors be with you.
    • View Profile
    • Are We There Yet?
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2015, 01:33:36 pm »
Quote from: Haganrix;180920
Zeus has always been the Chairmen who never denied any other divinity's existence. His daughter Athena is a Goddess, isn't she?

Except that's not what egalitarianism means.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/egalitarianism

Zeus was totally 'Respect my authoritay, or else', and less than subtle about stomping on anyone who posed a risk to his position.

Substantiations are existing quite a lot, the exchange of The Mother of The Gods, Kybele, others keep Isis for her, by Maria, Jahwe gaining characters of Baal, Jesua many of Horus.

Even without factoring in that the Theotokos is venerated, not worshipped, all the associations you attempt to make have more differences than similarities.
~St Augustine~

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; UU; CoX; Etc
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, they, she
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2015, 03:50:17 pm »
Quote from: Chatelaine;180921
Zeus was totally 'Respect my authoritay, or else', and less than subtle about stomping on anyone who posed a risk to his position.

He swallowed Athena's mother because if she bore a son, that son was destined to overthrow him!
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

RecycledBenedict

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2015, 06:40:50 am »
Quote from: Haganrix;180920
Zeus has always been the Chairmen who never denied any other divinity's existence.

Chairman is a very polite description of an absolute monarch surrounded by advisors he isn't bound to listen to, and whom he punish severely if they express dissent.

In the Iliad I.397ff, Hera, Athene and Poseidon try to rebel, and bind Zeus. Zeus is released by Thetis and Briareos, and the perpetrators punished.

Poseidon and Apollo are punished for an attempted rebellion against Zeus by building the walls of Troy in the Iliad XXI.35ff.

The difference in worldview between a late Bronze Age or early Iron Age mediterranean polytheism and an early Iron Age mediterranean monotheism is negligible: Both describe a storm god ruling the world, surrounded by a court of other entities. The court of the Olympians in the Iliad is very similar to the Iron Age Hebrew worldview in Psalms 29, 82 and 138 (Masoretic ennumeration).

The pagan philosopher Iamblichus didn't see any essential difference between a Hellenic and a Judeo-Christian world-view. In De Mysteriis Sect. II Ch. III Iamblichus view 'archangels' and 'gods' as more or less the same sort of entity.

In practice, polytheism and monotheism are very different, of course: Monotheists are limited to sing hymns in honour of angels and invoke their intercessions, but not sacrifice any material things to them, while polytheists are free to sacrifice anything to the deities in accordance to the rules of ritual purity.

That doesn't of course mean that neither polytheists nor monotheists of today have to nurture an anthropomorphic view of deities, or be adherents of an autocratic ideal. If we turn our attention away from the issue of hierarchies of power to the issue of hierarchies of modes of existence, such hierarchies were very much a part of classical religion.

During the last 500-700 years of its existence, the mediterranean religions acknowledged a stratified cosmology of several ontological levels emanating from The One (identified with Zeus or Physis by the Stoics, identified with Aion - the source of Phanes Protogonus - by others; Please, see the Protogonus Theogony, Plotinus and Proclus). Many deities were supposed to exist, but they were all viewed as caused by a common source on a higher ontological level. From the days of Pausanias, at least, Greeks (and the neighbours they influenced in Italy, Anatolia, Syria and Hellenized  Egypt) made a distinction between deities, daemons and heroes (in distinction to the way the words were used in the 8th and 7th centuries BCE, when theos and daimon could be used interchangeably). In his systematization of Hellenic religion, Proclus make a distinction between encosmic deities, hypercosmic-encosmic deities, hypercosmic deities, intellective deities, intelligible-intellective deities, and intelligible deities.

Yei

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Mexica Reconstructionism
  • Preferred Pronouns: He/Him/His
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2015, 09:53:42 am »

There is an element of forced conversion here. The transformation of gods into saints was a reaction to attacks by Christian missionaries. In order to preserve worship of their traditional gods people would re-frame their worship in the context of sainthood in order to preserve something of their way of life. Missionaries also supported this as a way of co-opting the power of traditional gods, some of which were still quite formidable, allowing them to impose Christian values from within.

Basically, I see it as something that comes from without, and not a natural part of non-Christian religions.

Quote from: RandallS;180916
Polytheism on equality? I think that's really stretching things. Every pantheon of deities I know of has some type of hierarchy. With some it can be informal (where some deities are simply more powerful or important than others) while in some it can be quite formal with a "king" (or "queen") of the Gods and a hierarchical court around that deity.

I think mine comes fairly close, although that might have something to do with the destruction of records. The only structure seems to be the 4 creator gods representing 4 directions, Huizilopochtli (South), Tezcatlipoca (North), Xipe Totec (East), and Quetzalcoatl (West). Outside of this there appears to be no structure whatsoever.

Tags: