Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Balancing Practice with School  (Read 4228 times)

HarpingHawke

• View Profile
  • Religion: shapeshifting, witchery, polytheism. under endless construction.
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/them
Balancing Practice with School
« on: October 05, 2015, 01:59:22 am »
This goes for both high schoolers and uni students--how do you balance your practice with your schoolwork? Especially for those of us in the US and taking SATs this year, or just generally going through a busy beginning to our year. Do you even have a balance, or is it just general chaos?

I'm just learning how to keep everything in a general state of balance right now; I'd love to hear other points of view about it. (not that this thread is specifically for *me*; the idea to start it came from it possibly being useful to others)
"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." - Hemingway

Night Owl

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
Re: Balancing Practice with School
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2015, 02:18:18 am »
Quote from: HarpingHawke;180766
This goes for both high schoolers and uni students--how do you balance your practice with your schoolwork? Especially for those of us in the US and taking SATs this year, or just generally going through a busy beginning to our year. Do you even have a balance, or is it just general chaos?

I'm just learning how to keep everything in a general state of balance right now; I'd love to hear other points of view about it. (not that this thread is specifically for *me*; the idea to start it came from it possibly being useful to others)

Short answer: I do not consciously balance anything, so this is the first time I've ever thought about this.

Long answer: I generally just... don't do any practice when I don't have time to. It's generally ineffective if I'm completely exhausted, and so 'balance' for me generally ends up being a checklist of 'is this a holiday? am I on holiday? do I feel especially spiritual today? do I have homework? do I have places to go to? am I ridiculously tired?'. If the first three outnumber the last, then I might get around to something.

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2015, 08:02:24 am »

I'm no longer in school, but trying to balance work, play, family, religion, etc. is a life long thing. When I'm really busy, I simply set aside some time each week for "religion-stuff" (just as I do for family-stuff, home-stuff, TC-stuff, etc.) -- even if the time set aside is not as much as I would like -- and use that time as intended even if it delays work-stuff.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

Redfaery

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2015, 09:11:57 am »

For me, it's all about learning to take care of myself. My spirituality helps me function. It is self-care. If I don't take the time to do it, I burn out and can't get my work done (I'm 28, but I *am* still in school - grad school.)

What I do is set aside "work hours" for myself. These are generally 9-5 on weekdays, and 10-3 on weekends. Someone with more stamina than me would probably be able to set longer hours for themselves.
KARMA: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Lana288

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2015, 04:11:32 pm »

Um... I'm actually still trying to work my spirituality into my daily routine now that I'm in college full time. What I'm trying to do is to use holidays as a chance to "catch up" with various deities, and I pray as often as I can, but it's very, very disorganized. General chaos definitely describes my religious practice at the moment.

Gigi Kiersten

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • http://www.cheapskatewitch.com
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2015, 02:37:51 pm »
Quote from: RandallS;180770
I'm no longer in school, but trying to balance work, play, family, religion, etc. is a life long thing. When I'm really busy, I simply set aside some time each week for "religion-stuff" (just as I do for family-stuff, home-stuff, TC-stuff, etc.) -- even if the time set aside is not as much as I would like -- and use that time as intended even if it delays work-stuff.

Agreed. I have five kids, a dog, two blogs, and I also write fanfiction, and study graphic design in the little spare time I have left. I find making todo lists and scheduling time is the best approach. I have a legit "Witchcraft" category on my todoist account.  Without the reminders, I would forget EVERYTHING.

Oíche

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Irish Polytheism/Druidry/Initiatory Witchcraft
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2015, 05:45:40 pm »

I don't consciously try to balance my spiritual practice with my coursework, I find that if I try to do a set structure, it falls apart fairly quickly as I tend to be quite busy.
I have an altar set-up in my bedroom(which is my main workspace and living area in university), and I will usually light some candles and offer some incense everyday- usually in the evening.
I keep the main candle on my altar lit until I go to bed and every time I look up at it, it reminds me of my gods- which is very calming!
If I want to talk to a specific deity, I will light their section and talk to them, plus make an offering specific to them if I feel the need (I keep small shrines to specific deities also on the table).
When I do college work or even if I'm feeling stressed out about an assignment, I will light my Ogma shrine and talk for example.
I think having it integrated into the background of my home is what keeps it relevant for me. :)
'You're my friend, and I love you- but you really look like a witch!!'

Tavvey

• View Profile
    • http://facebook.com/tabitharowland
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2015, 07:00:38 pm »

I find spirituality is important as brushing your teeth/showering/getting dressed/making an income etc. No matter how busy I am, I always set aside time (even if it's only a few minutes) to breathe, relax, thank my deities, and tune in with my body. Some days allow rituals, some just allow a small gratitude and a prayer. ;)

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; UU; CoX; Etc
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, they, she
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2015, 01:18:20 pm »

Here's my suggestion poking in from the world of trying to keep my shit together in a different age bracket - don't feel ashamed of using organisational tools for getting religious stuff done.

I have occasional Giant Issues around "Well, if I were a good practitioner, I wouldn't need a to-do list that says 'morning personal cleansing' or 'monthly prayer'," but, you know, that's not any different from "If I were a good housewife I wouldn't need a to-do list that says 'tidy the living room' and 'iterate laundry'" or "If I were a good mom I wouldn't need a to-do list that says 'check homework' and 'do piano practice'."  It's not about being a morally untouchable ideal person who magically does all the things without needing reminders - it's about actually getting the things done.

Find some sort of organisational or to-do list tool that works for you - I'm using HabitRPG at the moment - and start putting things in it.  Start with the level of stuff that you're sure you can do in a day (or every three days, or your weekly tasks, or), and then keep adding things as you feel you have stuff under control.  Don't be afraid to include your schoolwork, your personal care, and your explicitly spiritual stuff in it.  (Because it's more important to brush your teeth / take your meds / ground and center than it is to Be The Sort Of Person Who Just Does That.)
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

Kylara

• Staff
    • View Profile
    • https://www.patreon.com/kyndryana
  • Religion: Norse Fusion Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2015, 08:08:36 am »
Quote from: Darkhawk;181060
Here's my suggestion poking in from the world of trying to keep my shit together in a different age bracket - don't feel ashamed of using organisational tools for getting religious stuff done.

I have occasional Giant Issues around "Well, if I were a good practitioner, I wouldn't need a to-do list that says 'morning personal cleansing' or 'monthly prayer'," but, you know, that's not any different from "If I were a good housewife I wouldn't need a to-do list that says 'tidy the living room' and 'iterate laundry'" or "If I were a good mom I wouldn't need a to-do list that says 'check homework' and 'do piano practice'."  It's not about being a morally untouchable ideal person who magically does all the things without needing reminders - it's about actually getting the things done.

Find some sort of organisational or to-do list tool that works for you - I'm using HabitRPG at the moment - and start putting things in it.  Start with the level of stuff that you're sure you can do in a day (or every three days, or your weekly tasks, or), and then keep adding things as you feel you have stuff under control.  Don't be afraid to include your schoolwork, your personal care, and your explicitly spiritual stuff in it.  (Because it's more important to brush your teeth / take your meds / ground and center than it is to Be The Sort Of Person Who Just Does That.)

I have to definitely agree with this.  I am a very listy person, lists just work for me.  Not only does it help me stay on track but for some things it helps me let go of the anxiety about 'will I forget something' and keeps me from obsessing and going over whatever it is a dozen times a day.

I've been using Mindbloom, which I really like.  You can set up whatever actions you want, either on a regular (daily/weekly) or things you schedule individually, and it gives you a little tree that you then 'tend' by completing your actions.  It also has an inspiration side of it (the actions give your tree rain, the inspiration gives it sun), where you can add pictures and phrases (and music) to give yourself a little boost whenever you want.
Check out my Patreon for more writing and other goodies!

Tags: