Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Goddesses for rape/abuse victims?  (Read 8352 times)

Morrigan

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
Goddesses for rape/abuse victims?
« on: October 04, 2015, 09:08:44 am »
Hi all!

Just wondering if any knew of some? I have tried to find some info but haven't had much luck. Just the Celtic goddess Aine.

Any others?

Thanks for any replies.:)

PetitAlbert

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Re: Goddesses for rape/abuse victims?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2015, 01:56:09 pm »
Quote from: Morrigan;180742
Hi all!

Just wondering if any knew of some? I have tried to find some info but haven't had much luck. Just the Celtic goddess Aine.

Any others?

You could try Persephone? I've seen a *lot* of arguments between historians, and between witches, as to whether her story is about abuse, or it's a symbolic ritual marriage, or the whole thing is too victim-blamey - it's a mess and I don't want to touch it.

However, I think there's undeniably an aspect of her which could speak out for survivors. Demeter, her mother who tears the earth to bits to find her, might also be someone to reach out to.

Maman Brigitte is the vodou lwa of wronged women. In general I would advocate thinking carefully about appropriation before looking into vodou (it's an ancestor religion developed by enslaved people in America, so if you're not part of that lineage I'd advise not to go there) However I see you are Irish, and Maman Brigit was represented by images of the Irish goddess Brigid, so maybe Brigid would work?
"We all have something to learn, and something to teach."
30 Days of Magic: take the challenge now!

Petit Albert: This witch\'s blog
Book of Protective Magic by Albert - free 20 page bookzine download

NiDara

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Gaelic Polytheism, Clann Bhride
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her they/them
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2015, 05:05:41 pm »
Quote from: Unmutual;180746
You could try Persephone? I've seen a *lot* of arguments between historians, and between witches, as to whether her story is about abuse, or it's a symbolic ritual marriage, or the whole thing is too victim-blamey - it's a mess and I don't want to touch it.

However, I think there's undeniably an aspect of her which could speak out for survivors. Demeter, her mother who tears the earth to bits to find her, might also be someone to reach out to.

Maman Brigitte is the vodou lwa of wronged women. In general I would advocate thinking carefully about appropriation before looking into vodou (it's an ancestor religion developed by enslaved people in America, so if you're not part of that lineage I'd advise not to go there) However I see you are Irish, and Maman Brigit was represented by images of the Irish goddess Brigid, so maybe Brigid would work?

I'd definitely suggest Brighid, as some devotees see Brig Brethach as a protectress of women. She is found in an old Irish story, "The Tragic Death of Celtchar MacUthechair". And in general, She is considered to be a caring and compassionate deity.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2015, 05:06:41 pm by Nic an Dair »

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2015, 09:58:14 pm »

The Greek Goddess Artemis might be another possibility.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; UU; CoX; Etc
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, they, she
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2015, 12:06:35 am »
Just wondering if any knew of some?

I would start with whatever Powers the relevant person is drawn to or has an established relationship with.

Not the sort of topic I'd really like to hash out with a stranger, myself.
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

tothegoldenlady

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2015, 04:47:38 pm »
Hi all!

Any others?

One goddess that strongly comes to mind is Hera. Granted, she is my patron and my username is named after her, but on a serious note she is the goddess of women. She is exceedingly protective among other things. Another that would take this serious is not a deity per say but Archangel Michael is the actual patron of rape and abuse victims. He both punishes the perpetrators as well as prevents the crime from happening int he first place. Some people like to say the Angels are all light or just Christian in origin but in actuality although he will be gentile to a rape or violence victim most likely I doubt he would be so gentile to the person that committed the act. In fact, the least that would happen if either he or the great queen were involved would be just desserts.

Another thing, Hera is goddess of home and the safety of the home, whatever you define as home as well as of course the literal house and household. So domestic violence would also be something that she can protect against.

One final thing, Hera is Queen, which means that even if she can not do it or it is not an area people generally ask her on, she has the title of Queen which carries as much clout as Zeus does King. There is nothing they can't provide if they are willing to give it.

Just my two cents ;)

Fleur

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2015, 06:58:22 pm »
Hi all!

Any others?

I can definitely say my patron deity, Durga, is all over this. She's told me that protecting the defenseless - especially battered women, rape victims, and the oppressed of all (or no) sexes - is her mission and that's the kind of work she would like to see me doing in my pro bono time.

Morag

• Senior Staff
  • cranky witch mom
    • View Profile
    • Priestess of the 3
  • Religion: Priestess of the 3
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2015, 04:05:35 am »
Hi all!

Any others?

In my personal experience: the Morrigan, Brighid, and Green Tara.

But others' mileage may vary. It's not a thing with a one-size-fits-all answer.
Pray drunk. Hex sober.
Priestess of the 3
"The most powerful god at any given moment is the one who can solve the moment's problem."
-Darkhawk

Lilirin

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2015, 06:37:15 am »
Hi all!

Any others?

Inanna/Ishtar/Aphrodite, because she concerns that area of sex/life and has been good with dealing with me. (There's a story where Inanna was raped and she ended up searching the lands for her rapist. She killed him.) I'd say Lilith may be a candidate because my friend was telling me she helped with a miscarriage and I could see her being helpful in this regard. They both are related and they both are associated with this sort of stuff.

lavender

• Jr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2015, 10:38:54 am »
Quote from: PetitAlbert;180746

Maman Brigitte and Brigid are sort of similar... but again, they're kind of different. I don't know, though, Brigid could work, since she's associated with healing. Erzulie Dantor is also known for fiercely defending victims of abuse. I agree with that statement up there; I wouldn't suggest vodou deities, since, first, practitioners have a very certain way of worshipping. Also, vodou and ethnic identity are intertwined more so than many other religion... So, yeah, do your research very, very, carefully if you choose to work with loas.

Hope I helped you— I read and research a lot about all sorts of religions, except I haven't practiced every religion in the world quite yet xD

Littlewolf

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2015, 01:24:02 pm »
Hi all!

Any others?

There is St Martha of Domination. She is depicted in the beautiful and inspirational form of a strong woman with her arms raised, a child in her lap, and two snakes winding around her. Good for giving strength and confidence, meant to mostly appeal to women.

Tags: