Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Catholic monsignor comes out as gay on the eve of Synod  (Read 2857 times)

Castus

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Happy Science
Catholic monsignor comes out as gay on the eve of Synod
« on: October 03, 2015, 10:53:44 pm »
My right-click isn't working, so I can't C&P an article, but Google should be able to hook you all up. Pertinent details:

-- Msgr. Krzystof Charamsa, a Polish theologian and priest who worked for the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith and taught theology at several pontifical universities, publicly came out as gay; alongside a lover.

-- Msgr. Charamsa has condemned the Church's policy requiring celibacy for homosexuals as "inhuman" and called for a change.

-- Msgr. Charamsa has been immediately sacked from his position at the Vatican and his teaching positions; although, incredibly, he does not seem to have been formally excommunicated, laicised, or even stripped of his title of Monsignor at this time. At least, not that I've read so far. Interestingly enough, at least one article (Yahoo News') said that the Vatican's statement on the issue indicated that the Monsignor's motives or personal life must be "respected," and all the ones I've read claim that the Vatican has denied that his being fired has anything to do with his being an active homosexual.

I would try to offer my opinion on the subject, but I'm fairly sure that the amount of burst blood vessels which would ensue from trying to do so would kill me.
“Castus, meanwhile, goes straight for the bad theology like one of those creepy fish that swims up streams of pee.” — Darkhawk

“Believing in the Lord means you are connected to me no matter when you are poor, sick, or struggling in a relationship. I am always with you. I want you to believe that. The future is uncertain, and much suffering awaits. However, the mission of the believer is to live life doing their best, no matter what the circumstances.” — Ryuho Okawa

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; UU; CoX; Etc
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, they, she
Re: Catholic monsignor comes out as gay on the eve of Synod
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2015, 10:55:34 pm »
Quote from: Castus;180731
all the ones I've read claim that the Vatican has denied that his being fired has anything to do with his being an active homosexual.

I believe the comment I've seen on that was that it doesn't matter whether his partner is male or female, it's a violation of celibacy vows.
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

Castus

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2015, 11:00:34 pm »
Quote from: Darkhawk;180732
I believe the comment I've seen on that was that it doesn't matter whether his partner is male or female, it's a violation of celibacy vows.

I've only seen it mentioned as it pertains to the Synod, but you're probably right. And of course, you are right that it's a violation of the vows of chastity.
“Castus, meanwhile, goes straight for the bad theology like one of those creepy fish that swims up streams of pee.” — Darkhawk

“Believing in the Lord means you are connected to me no matter when you are poor, sick, or struggling in a relationship. I am always with you. I want you to believe that. The future is uncertain, and much suffering awaits. However, the mission of the believer is to live life doing their best, no matter what the circumstances.” — Ryuho Okawa

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2015, 07:45:32 am »

That's the first thing that came to my mind as well.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

sailor

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2015, 06:12:37 pm »

I wonder what will happen next?  Would he be re-instated if he gave up his lover  and did the same type of punishment a hetrosexual priest got?  (if any, not an area I'm familiar with).

Would it have been better to hidden the lover and come out?  Or would that be morally wrong to hide the relationship?

Castus

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2015, 04:00:08 pm »
Quote from: sailor;180751
I wonder what will happen next?  Would he be re-instated if he gave up his lover  and did the same type of punishment a hetrosexual priest got?  (if any, not an area I'm familiar with).

Would it have been better to hidden the lover and come out?  Or would that be morally wrong to hide the relationship?

Normally, a priest in a relationship would -- as far as I'm aware, I don't have the spoons to reference canon law ATM -- be compelled to give it up; or be laicised. Quite possibly, he would just be laicised from the get-go; which is what ought to happen here. If he came out as gay but remained celibate (or pretended to be!) there would be no grounds for laicisation. Canon law doesn't require that priests be heterosexual, although some dioceses -- such as my own, which is fairly conservative -- do forbid those of a "disordered sexual orientation" to become seminarians to begin with. However I've now seen reports that's he's issued a "manifesto" calling for Church teaching on homosexuality to be immediately changed; which would be a valid reason to strip him of teaching authority.

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2015, 09:31:25 pm »
Quote from: Castus;180785
However I've now seen reports that's he's issued a "manifesto" calling for Church teaching on homosexuality to be immediately changed; which would be a valid reason to strip him of teaching authority.

I read that he has been removed from his position at the Vatican, but other than that, no real news.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

Tags: