Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Where would I goto learn about ancient Babylon?  (Read 709 times)

Liberty

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
Where would I goto learn about ancient Babylon?
« on: October 03, 2015, 05:53:54 pm »
The Religion and the culture.

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
Re: Where would I goto learn about ancient Babylon?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2015, 07:48:19 pm »
Quote from: Liberty;180698

Wikipedia's article on Babylon is a good place to get an overview, to get started.

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

RecycledBenedict

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2015, 08:12:45 pm »
Quote from: Liberty;180698

It is probably meaningless to study Babylon in isolation from Sumerian studies and Assyrian studies: The Sumerian language remained the ritual 'Latin' for Assyrians and Babylonians, and the two kingdoms continuously interacted in fluctuating ways during their history. The Sumerian strata in Mesopotamian religion remained its foundation until the political abolition of Mesopotamian religion in 392 CE. That being said, in addition to this fundament of Mesopotamian religion, from time to time deities of other backgrounds (Amorite, Akkadian, Kassite) were added to (or identified with) the Sumerian pantheon. During the last 600 years, or so, some deities were increasingly interpreted as planets or stars, in a way that not necessarily reflected the original understanding of their functions, and during the same last phase, Hellenisation caused Greek and Roman myths to be superimposed on the native ones.

Someone speaking your own language will be better able than me to point you in the direction of the best English translations, but the main source material is anyhow the Instructions of Shuruppak, the Gilgamesh epic, the myth cycle about Inanna/Ishtar, the Atrahasis epic, and the Enuma Elish. Beside these, there are lots of texts which are more fragmentary in nature.

Each city had its own version of the myths: The genealogy of the deities will be presented in mutually exclusive ways, depending on which city any particular source material comes. Beliefs also changed somewhat during time: While Nanna/Sin and Enlil were important leaders of the deities in an older stage of development, this position was later taken by Ashur, Anshar or Marduk, depending on region (Marduk is the very Babylonian alternative).

Liberty

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2015, 09:00:00 pm »
Quote from: FraterBenedict;180718
It is probably meaningless to study Babylon in isolation from Sumerian studies and Assyrian studies: The Sumerian language remained the ritual 'Latin' for Assyrians and Babylonians, and the two kingdoms continuously interacted in fluctuating ways during their history. The Sumerian strata in Mesopotamian religion remained its foundation until the political abolition of Mesopotamian religion in 392 CE. That being said, in addition to this fundament of Mesopotamian religion, from time to time deities of other backgrounds (Amorite, Akkadian, Kassite) were added to (or identified with) the Sumerian pantheon. During the last 600 years, or so, some deities were increasingly interpreted as planets or stars, in a way that not necessarily reflected the original understanding of their functions, and during the same last phase, Hellenisation caused Greek and Roman myths to be superimposed on the native ones.

Someone speaking your own language will be better able than me to point you in the direction of the best English translations, but the main source material is anyhow the Instructions of Shuruppak, the Gilgamesh epic, the myth cycle about Inanna/Ishtar, the Atrahasis epic, and the Enuma Elish. Beside these, there are lots of texts which are more fragmentary in nature.

Each city had its own version of the myths: The genealogy of the deities will be presented in mutually exclusive ways, depending on which city any particular source material comes. Beliefs also changed somewhat during time: While Nanna/Sin and Enlil were important leaders of the deities in an older stage of development, this position was later taken by Ashur, Anshar or Marduk, depending on region (Marduk is the very Babylonian alternative).

Thank you very much one of the mean voices I used to hear was named Elish don't know if thats coincidence or not but I'll definately look into all you took the time to tell me thank you actually went more by Elisha.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2015, 09:06:03 pm by Liberty »

Tags: