Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Food: Fall, the pumpkin craze  (Read 4827 times)

DawningFox

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
Fall, the pumpkin craze
« on: September 30, 2015, 11:43:02 pm »
Are you one of those people that hit up anywhere for anything pumpkin flavored? Do you weep when it´s gone? ;)

I am one of those people, sadly. I can´t get enough pumpkin. I love the taste & have been looking up a lot of those DIY recipies. It´s a nice chilly comfort flavor to me
« Last Edit: May 07, 2019, 01:47:32 pm by RandallS »

Morag

• Senior Staff
  • cranky witch mom
    • View Profile
    • Priestess of the 3
  • Religion: Priestess of the 3
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
Re: Fall, the pumpkin craze
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2015, 01:24:56 am »
Quote from: DawningFox;180582
Are you one of those people that hit up anywhere for anything pumpkin flavored? Do you weep when it´s gone? ;)

I am one of those people, sadly. I can´t get enough pumpkin. I love the taste & have been looking up a lot of those DIY recipies. It´s a nice chilly comfort flavor to me

PUMPKIN SPICE FOR THE PUMPKIN GOD

Ahem.

Yes, I love the pumpkin flavor flood that marks fall these days. I'm also a Starbucks addict, so all year I wait for PSLs (and then later, the Christmas flavors)...but this year I am disappointed. I think they changed the recipe. Either that or my tastebuds changed, but regardless the PSLs taste different from last year.  

The pumpkin scone they have is still delicious though, so I've been going with that and a maple macchiato. And I've been meaning to try out their new toasted graham latte.

I mean, um, I haven't been spending any of my hard-earned, precious money on Starbucks. Nope. *whistles innocently*

Also last year I tried my hand at making pumpkin pie and did so pretty well, so more of that this year (I hope). I also want to try making my own pumpkin scones and loaves and other bready goodnesses.

Fall is my favourite time of year and pumpkins are a BIG part of the fall ambience for me, as well as being connected to some family traditions and memories. (My bio-sire used to win prizes for growing the biggest pumpkins in the village, and every year we'd scoop out the seeds and roast them before making jack o lanterns from the pumpkins. There's a picture, somewhere, of young me in a dress sitting on top of a gigantic pumpkin. I look like Cinderella with a broken down ride.)
Pray drunk. Hex sober.
Priestess of the 3
"The most powerful god at any given moment is the one who can solve the moment's problem."
-Darkhawk

MadZealot

• Adept Member
  • Eye yam tu papi.
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Founder of the Church of No Pants.
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2015, 03:03:01 am »

Pumpkin cheesecake at the B&N cafe.  Pumpkin spice M&Ms.  That's about it for me.  And in Xmas season I have to have a gingerbread latte.
You have my sword
And my shield
And my... um... slacks.

Cabal

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Belgae Polytheism
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2015, 09:46:05 am »
Quote from: MadZealot;180586
Pumpkin cheesecake at the B&N cafe.  Pumpkin spice M&Ms.  That's about it for me.  And in Xmas season I have to have a gingerbread latte.
Yes to Pumpkin cheesecake & Pumpkin pie!!
"In Hell, everybody loves popcorn."

DawningFox

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2015, 11:53:34 am »
Quote from: Morag;180584
PUMPKIN SPICE FOR THE PUMPKIN GOD

Ahem.

Yes, I love the pumpkin flavor flood that marks fall these days. I'm also a Starbucks addict, so all year I wait for PSLs (and then later, the Christmas flavors)...but this year I am disappointed. I think they changed the recipe. Either that or my tastebuds changed, but regardless the PSLs taste different from last year.  

It´s not just you, I think they have changed it as well.
I start my morning with Pumpkin Spice Chai and for a snack later in the day (I´m not a breakfast eater much) I´ll have a small Pumpkin muffin.

In my travel to the grocery, I have discovered...Pumpkin butter..? I´m guessing it´s supposed to be like super yummy Apple butter, but I´ll pass on trying it

xAyla

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2015, 03:22:03 pm »

Pumpkin cupcakes! I love making them, they're so tasty and it just doesn't feel like autumn without them. Also PSL and pumpkin oatmeal, mmmm..
"Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten." - Neil Gaiman

DemeterDelusion

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2015, 06:32:29 pm »
Quote from: DawningFox;180595
In my travel to the grocery, I have discovered...Pumpkin butter..? I´m guessing it´s supposed to be like super yummy Apple butter, but I´ll pass on trying it

A few years ago, a restaurant I went to had pumpkin butter to go along with the pre-meal bread basket, presumably for some sort of promotion. I seem to remember that my date and I liked it.

That said, I'm not really one for the whole pumpkin craze.

Sefiru

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2015, 06:42:33 pm »

I'd try this (assuming the jar is not too large). I'm imagining something like ready-made pumpkin pie filling, only maybe better quality.

... Now I'm hungry.

One of my coworkers used to make pumpkin muffins with a dollop of cream cheese in the middle, and pumpkin seeds scattered on top.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Me on AO3 & Deviantart

DawningFox

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2015, 10:25:05 pm »
Quote from: Sefiru;180618
I'd try this (assuming the jar is not too large). I'm imagining something like ready-made pumpkin pie filling, only maybe better quality.

That´s about what it looked like, only lighter in color. It was along the lines of a small jam jar, but very pricey for my liking.

Emma Eldritch

• Staff
    • View Profile
    • https://rocknrollwitch.blogspot.ca/
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2015, 11:49:37 pm »

I'm a Pumpkin Spice whore. I even found it in hand lotion form at David's Tea, which has a tea of course.

A good friend of mine told me that if you say "Pumkin Spice" three times in front of a mirror and turn out the lights, a white girl in Uggs appears behind you and tells you how much she loves the fall. (So I plan to take a picture of me with a pumpkin spice candle and a latte in front of the bathroom mirror in the dark.)

Queen of Swords

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2015, 12:02:15 am »

I do like sweet pumpkin treats, but you know what's really good? Pumpkin soup!

Allaya

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Idio-syncretic
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2015, 06:11:12 am »
Quote from: Mama Fortuna;180628
I'm a Pumpkin Spice whore. I even found it in hand lotion form at David's Tea, which has a tea of course.

A good friend of mine told me that if you say "Pumkin Spice" three times in front of a mirror and turn out the lights, a white girl in Uggs appears behind you and tells you how much she loves the fall. (So I plan to take a picture of me with a pumpkin spice candle and a latte in front of the bathroom mirror in the dark.)

That...that is...magnificent. I am sure nobody around me would get it, unfortunately. The pumpkin spice mania hasn't made it to Norway, which still sees pumpkins as funny decorative things for a funny imported holiday. The first time I made a pie, people looked at me like I was a wizard or something.

I am jealous of the hand lotion. Someone would make a fortune off of me if they sold a Body Shop-esque range of lotions, shower gels, soap, etc in pumpkin spice.
Service is the rent we pay for the privilege of living on this earth.  — Shirley Chisholm
No doubt the truth can be unpleasant, but I am not sure that unpleasantness is the same as the truth.  — Roger Ebert
It is difficult to get a person to understand something when their livelihood depends upon them not understanding it. — Upton Sinclair (adapted)
People cannot be reasoned out of an opinion that they have not reasoned themselves into. — Fisher Ames (adapted)

Morag

• Senior Staff
  • cranky witch mom
    • View Profile
    • Priestess of the 3
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2015, 04:37:04 pm »
It´s not just you, I think they have changed it as well.

Glad to know I'm not mad then. Well, not about this. ;)

I'll have to try a pumpkin spice drink from another coffee shop, then. you know, for research.

Also it occurred to me while thinking about this thread and wanting to try my hand at pumpkin loaves and such...has anyone made any gluten-free pumpkin pastries? In my experience GF stuff is often *very* dry and dense, but I think the pumpkin might help counteract that and make it softer/moister.

(I'm not GF but I have friends that are, so I'm always looking for ways to make nice GF stuff for them or to share with them the recipes I've found.)

I might have to try a pumpkin GF recipe and see what the results are.
Pray drunk. Hex sober.
Priestess of the 3
"The most powerful god at any given moment is the one who can solve the moment's problem."
-Darkhawk

Morag

• Senior Staff
  • cranky witch mom
    • View Profile
    • Priestess of the 3
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2015, 04:39:54 pm »
Quote from: Allaya;180633
That...that is...magnificent. I am sure nobody around me would get it, unfortunately. The pumpkin spice mania hasn't made it to Norway, which still sees pumpkins as funny decorative things for a funny imported holiday. The first time I made a pie, people looked at me like I was a wizard or something.

All hail the PIE WIZARD!

Quote from: Allaya;180633
I am jealous of the hand lotion. Someone would make a fortune off of me if they sold a Body Shop-esque range of lotions, shower gels, soap, etc in pumpkin spice.

Ditto. I know LUSH has a sparkly pumpkin thing out this year but I don't think it's actually pumpkin spice smelling. Haven't smelled it yet but looking at the ingredients list I'd have to guess "nope".
Pray drunk. Hex sober.
Priestess of the 3
-Darkhawk

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2015, 05:12:57 pm »
Quote from: Cryfder;180592
Yes to Pumpkin cheesecake & Pumpkin pie!!

I'll take a piece of each, please.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

Tags: