Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: At U.N., pope condemns 'boundless thirst' for wealth and power  (Read 2890 times)

Newsposter

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • http://ecauldron.com/
At U.N., pope condemns 'boundless thirst' for wealth and power
« on: September 25, 2015, 07:43:45 pm »
"Pope Francis on Friday condemned the craving for material gains and power, warning an annual gathering of world leaders at the United Nations that greed is destroying the Earth's resources and aggravating poverty.

The 78-year-old Argentine pontiff also prayed at the memorial to those killed in the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks in perhaps the most solemn moment of his first visit to the United States."

Read the Article
“We are not afraid to entrust the American people with unpleasant facts, foreign ideas, alien philosophies, and competitive values. For a nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people." -- John F. Kennedy

MadZealot

• Adept Member
  • Eye yam tu papi.
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Founder of the Church of No Pants.
Re: At U.N., pope condemns 'boundless thirst' for wealth and power
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2015, 09:40:36 pm »
Quote from: Newsposter;180456
"Pope Francis on Friday condemned the craving for material gains and power, warning an annual gathering of world leaders at the United Nations that greed is destroying the Earth's resources and aggravating poverty."

Too bad His Popeness doesn't have any money to help the poor.  Nor does his Church.  

It's a shame, really.
You have my sword
And my shield
And my... um... slacks.

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2015, 09:48:51 pm »
Quote from: MadZealot;180458
Too bad His Popeness doesn't have any money to help the poor.  Nor does his Church.

To be fair, the various Catholic Churches do a lot to help the poor. And Vatican City, contrary to popular belief, really isn't rolling in money.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

Castus

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Happy Science
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2015, 10:00:43 pm »
Quote from: MadZealot;180458

It's a shame, really.

Well, have I got good news for you! Not only does the Roman Catholic Church have an extensive charitable network composed of charitable organisations across the globe, collectively referred to as Caritas International, but three of the 50 largest charities in the US are also run by the Catholic Church:

http://www.forbes.com/top-charities/list/

Isn't that just grand?
“Castus, meanwhile, goes straight for the bad theology like one of those creepy fish that swims up streams of pee.” — Darkhawk

“Believing in the Lord means you are connected to me no matter when you are poor, sick, or struggling in a relationship. I am always with you. I want you to believe that. The future is uncertain, and much suffering awaits. However, the mission of the believer is to live life doing their best, no matter what the circumstances.” — Ryuho Okawa

MadZealot

• Adept Member
  • Eye yam tu papi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2015, 12:13:02 am »
Quote from: Castus;180460
Isn't that just grand?

Well, they do put 80% of their revenue towards charitable programs, so that's nice.  
And they do put more towards charity, per year, than the Church paid out in pedophile priest payouts (plus legal fees).  So that's nice.  
(And just how is Bishop Frank handling the priestly pederasty problem?  We've been paying more attention to his climate change views of late.)

But "grand"?  Naaah.  Maybe quasi-grand.  

Maybe it's just that I'm not a fan.  But I just don't trust the guy, and not because he wears white after Labor Day.

Know who the People's Pope canonized the other day?  Junipero Serra, a right shithead, and not very humanitarian.  
Now that was grand.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2015, 12:19:59 am by MadZealot »
You have my sword
And my shield
And my... um... slacks.

MadZealot

• Adept Member
  • Eye yam tu papi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2015, 12:19:09 am »
Quote from: RandallS;180459
And Vatican City, contrary to popular belief, really isn't rolling in money.

Call me a cynic, but I think that's why he's gone on tour.  The Church suffered quite a ding to their sterling image when everyone found out how they were hiding Ordained sexual predators in the ranks.  And there've been plenty of articles about dwindling laity across denominations.  Surely that means shrinking tithes.  The Church has been in need of rebranding for some time.  Maybe this is the Pope's Make Rome Great (Again) Tour.
You have my sword
And my shield
And my... um... slacks.

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2015, 07:56:56 am »
Quote from: MadZealot;180461
Well, they do put 80% of their revenue towards charitable programs, so that's nice.  
And they do put more towards charity, per year, than the Church paid out in pedophile priest payouts (plus legal fees).  So that's nice.  
(And just how is Bishop Frank handling the priestly pederasty problem?  We've been paying more attention to his climate change views of late.)

Moving the goals a bit here? I think your problem is you don't like the Catholic Church. That's okay, you don't have to like them, but condemning them for lack of charitable work and spending as you did is sort of silly given the amount of charitable work and spending by the Catholic Church.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

Tags: